Bump on the shoulder.. caused by puppy shots?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Friday i noticed a 'bump' on Kevin's shoulder.. My first though was that Molly 'chomped' down on the spot where his micro-chip was implanted a few days earlier. Now that i think about it i know i was wrong... because i knew they normally placed it between the shoulder blades.

I got him into the Vet first thing Saturday morning and they said it was a reaction to his puppy shots he got a week before. They gave us an antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. It seems to be shrinking (its only been ~1.5 days).

By 'bump' i mean it looked like somebody put half a golf ball on his shoulder under the skin. he doesn't even seem to notice it. Being a nerd i instantly googled "puppy vaccinations and swelling" and it freaked me out more. He doesn't have any other symptoms or side effects (no swelling of his face, no vomiting... etc). Just a bump.

Anybody else see this before?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes Buster had this happen to him and we took him to the vet and it was all because of the shot. It went away pretty quick.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If I have given shots, Pyrenese or equine, I will usually massage the spot for a little bit, to sort of spread the fluid. I did have a dog, who had to have a benedryl, before her shots,as she would have a reaction, such as that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've never experienced that, but I know that Jim had an issue [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] ?!!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Yup Bifi had this lump where he had his shot. Freaked me out too.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue had it too. I was glad my vet warned me ahead of time that it could happen. But I don't remember it lasting a week. More like a few days.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah, we also have to give our two guys Benadryl before they get their shots, and Blossom gets the same reaction, she gets a bump or a lump at the injection site. Dozer got hives after an injection one time, so our vet always tells us to give them a Benadryl an hour before their appointment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it can happen. My guys have always been OK, but some have little to VERY bad reactions.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumleys shot reaction was completely different. He had an unnecessary rabies shot that caused hair loss on his head and then red bloody sores all over the top of his head...it wasn't a bump at the injection site.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online