The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well... I was a bad daddy again. Harlea started scratching her belly really bad about 2 weeks ago so I started the process of elimination to find out what it was. No yeast or anything at all. Just some redness on her belly and ears and no where else.

So after taking away almost all of her treats and watching her like a hawk outside nothing helped. We did the benadryl and it helped a bit with her itching but the redness was still there.

For the next few days I was trying to think of what had changed in or around the house and I couldn't come up with anything. Them my wife decided to chime in and asked when I got the new fabric softener.... Um what... Oh yeah I bought that 2 weeks ago.. Oh bloody hell. Yep it was the fabric softner that was the culprit. I bought the same brand but a different scent and it doesn't agree with Harlea's skin.

So in a nutshell... washed her stuff with the old fabric softener and she has only scratched a handful of times today instead of every 5 minutes and the redness is almost all gone now.... Bad daddy.... Bad daddy. I had to get her special rabbit and apple treats today to make up for that one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad you narrowed it down so quickly, I'd have to argue that means you are a good daddy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Good in that sense... Bad that I should have known better about switching on the fly..... I didn't think twice about it as it was the same brand never taking in to consideration about the oils used for the scents... Guess that is why I am rarely allowed to go shopping on my own when we need household goods.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You're not a bad dad!! Cant remember everything! Happy you figured out.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Not a bad daddy at all...stuff happens. As someone said, you just can't think of everything! But a good daddy...got the rabbit and the special treats!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Todd I have to buy the fragrance free detergent & dryer sheets. It's amazing what a difference it makes... Oh and BTW you are a great DAD!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the main thing is you figured it out and she is getting better, so good bully daddy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree Todd, you figured it out, and we try to do our best by our babies, but we can't know everything that is going to be a trigger to our pets. We find out by trial and error, and then we know. You're a great bully Dad. Don't be so hard on yourself.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:nono: happens to the best of us.... at least you figured it out quick enough!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
She is still scratching a bit but it is nothing like it was so at least we are making progress.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] - bad daddy, I think NOT! glad you figured it out so quickly and just to define bad daddy, a bad daddy would not have noticed the itching or redness and more than likely wouldn't have tried to figure out what was causing it even if he did notice BUT a good daddy takes instant notice and does what ever it takes to figure out what is wrong and fix it so by definition you are a Good Daddy!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
GREAT Daddy...lucky Harlea...and Family :)

Bad EBNer...no pics included of Ms Adorable.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hey,you do the BEST you can, Daddy's can't know everything-Mommy's DO! heh,heh. Happy that you discovered it quickly. Kisses for Harlea!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.