agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I had diesel out tonight on a walk when another dog attacked diesel, it latched onto his jowls and wouldn't let go, it pulled diesel for 30'. The dogs owner and myself was punching and kicking his dog and it wouldn't let go, this went on for about 3 mins, it calmed down but the dogs jaws were locked, a guy walking past put wood into the dogs mouth and it let go.

In episode I dislocated my little finger and was covered in mud and blood
His dog was off the lead- I am sure his dog was a pit bull, a dog which is banned in the uk.

Diesel has a cut in his shoulder , the top of his head has no fur (about an inch), cuts round his jowls and his cherry eye popped out, that eye had never popped before. I cannot believe he isn't hurt worse.
I feel a let down as I couldn't get the dog off my baby, I thought I could protect my family against anything as I am over 6' and weigh over 15 stone and played rugby and boxed for years.

Is there a thread about what to do when or if your dogs attacked ?
Is there anything I need to keep my eye on ?

I have cleaned diesel up and there's nothing req stitches. put the cherry eye back in and I ll take him to the vets tomorrow
My kids are staying at there grandmas tonight, if not they would have had the lead and not me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Wow what a scarey fiasco! Good thing for the other guy there too... I think you did everything correct. How were you to know crazy bat sh** pit was coming. When I walk Tucker I give him about 6' of leash BUT I am always looking ahead for runners, cars and other dogs, then I pull him in when I see anything, I would have been scared to be attacked and boy would that owner get an ear full from me!!! At least pay for the vet visit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm boiling mad as I read your horror story, Jimmy...poor Diesel :(
No dog should be off leash in a public area ESPECIALLY a dog like
a Pit Bull. Does the UK have these laws and do they fine owners
for disobeying this law? Did you exchange phone #s with the owner
to check for the dog's up-to-date RABIES shot? Hopefully he is going
to pay for Diesel's vet visit & care. Please don't blame yourself, Jimmy,
it's not your fault but the stupid owner's...what an idiot!

Thank god, you or Diesel wasn't hurt much worse.

Boogs and Avi

Jul 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Booger and Avion
Oh my gosh, this made me hug my babies closer. I don't know what I would do, and I don't know the laws in the UK; I do know that I would report it in the US because I have been attacked by a pit, and I feel like the breed should be restricted.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh man, Jimmy, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Poor Diesel and poor you. The dog who attacked should NOT have been off leash in the first place, total irresponsibility of the owner. Like Carol mentioned, I hope you did exchange info with the owner and are able to get the vaccination records of the Pit Bull. I agree that the owner should be the one paying all the vet bills! How's Diesel doing? poor thing must be pretty shaken up. I know I would be! And don't' beat yourself up for not being able to get the dog off Diesel sooner as you did everything you could and thank God that Diesel wasn't injured more than he was. Please keep us posted!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Jimmy-so sorry to hear of your very scary ordeal! Thank goodness that Diesel was not more badly hurt! I DO hope you get the man's info-as he should surely be responsible for vet bills, as his dog was off leash. There was a witness, so he can not deny what happened.Dog bites can get infected very easily-so keep an eye on and maybe your vet can give you some antibiotic-just in case. From now on, carry a cane, or mace with you-for cases like this,where an idiot owner has no concern for others. Glad things didn't turn out worse.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Jimmy-so sorry to hear of your very scary ordeal! Thank goodness that Diesel was not more badly hurt! I DO hope you get the man's info-as he should surely be responsible for vet bills, as his dog was off leash. There was a witness, so he can not deny what happened.Dog bites can get infected very easily-so keep an eye on and maybe your vet can give you some antibiotic-just in case. From now on, carry a cane, or mace with you-for cases like this,where an idiot owner has no concern for others. Glad things didn't turn out worse.

Agree with Lynn, carry Mace AND a big stick!

Give Diesel some loving from us.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
What a horrible event. I'm so glad he's okay.

A dog trainer told me to use pepper spray once. It sounds horrible to think of spraying a dog - as it is very painful - but if he's attacking your baby, you will save BOTH dog's lives (as dogs who attack are often put down). The pepper spray also does not cause any lasting damage - it is just very uncomfortable. So if you accidentally spray your baby in the process, he'll be okay, too.

I carry pepper spray on my keychain anyway, maybe you should too!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow sorry to hear about this! Such irresponsible people walking around without their dog on a lead just cause problems. I'm happy the dog didn't turn on you and that Diesel is ok. Dont feel bad, you had no idea something like that was going to happen. If you got his info I'd report him, who knows how many times this has happened with him before.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww:( I'm so sorry to hear Diesel got attacked, that must have been so scary:*(. People shouldn't have their dogs off leash not matter what breed they have. Pit Bulls are powerful but they are not a vicious breed, this was totally the owners fault, I can't believe how careless people are. I hope he offered to pay for vet visit.

When we walk our dogs I bring pepper spray, I wouldn't hesitate to spray a dog if it came for my babies. But if they're already in a fight I wouldn't use it. When my bulldogs get into a fight I poor some water on them and they stop... Maybe throw some soil or sand in the attacking dogs eyes? I don't know... I would do pretty much anything to get it off but an unknown dog is difficult as you have no clue how it will react:unsure: Where we live there are lots LOTS of dogs coming out from the yards while we walk past:mellow: mostly smaller dogs that will back off when told but it's not fun to walk your dog being afraid:(

The first times my bulldogs got into fights with each other I acted like a total freak show, screaming, crying, running around going mad. I learned from the dog trainer that acting out only makes it MUCH worse. He told me to take it calmly, no screaming or even talking as it "Cheers them on". I can still get a bit worked up when it happens but I try to take it easy and just sort it out calmly and quickly. I know my energy isn't calm though so I have to work on that:ashamed:. I'm so glad to hear Diesel is OK despite what happened.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I am so so sorry :( I hope diesel has a quick recovery and things at the vet goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jimmy I'm so sorry for you & Diesel, what a nightmare! I agree to carry mace, or walk w/a stick... Poor baby, let us know what the vet says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Very sorry to hear about this...I am NOT a fan of Pit Bulls and often get into heated discussions with owners at work about these dogs and how "they are so sweet" as they say. The stats just don't show that. I can also understand your feeling about being not able to protect him...but things happen and we do our best. I can tell you, I carry when I go out and I would've had a hard time not putting that pit down if it were my dog it was latched on. If it were one of my kids, that dog wouldn't have made it.

Most Reactions