Potty training help?

flexdiesel

Feb 19, 2014
There's a lot of people saying "no" and "hardly at all" I have a 2 and a half month old Bull and he is so stubborn... If I'm not always watching him he will just mark his territory. It's not even a full bladder just a little bit.... Any tips or suggestions? I used to own a Doberman and he was so smart I didn't even have to potty train him really, he just knew. I take my bull out 10 to 15 mins after eating and right away when he wakes up...as well as 10 to 15 after he's done playing. I've got him to understand to go to the door but if you don't catch him in the act there is no waiting for you he will do his business right away lol.... And ideas from seasoned owners?
jage9u7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
We fostered a labrador puppy last year and had him potty trained in about a week (He would even use the bells on the door). I've been potty training Kevin for over 3 months and it will be a while before i'll trust he's fully 'house broken'.

IMHO.. Crate training & consistency work best for EB's. ( It doesn't hurt to have a neighbor that owns a flooring business :) )

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
As i understand it he probably wont be fully potty trained for another 2 months maybe a little less. I literally JUST got mine trained and I used to take her out every 15 mins because I wanted her to KNOW that she needs to go outside. At four months she knew to go outside and did less of her buisness inside and when she did we rubbed her face near it and told her NO. I didnt show her where to go because she was very smart to know to go potty outside. Which she knows those two words. We also started giving her treats, but not all the time so she wouldnt just say she has to go out so she can get a treat and not go. But at 4 1/2 months she knew to go to the door and if we didnt make it in time she would pee at the door. Now two weeks later she will wait until we let her out. Whether she has to walk to the door and then walk to me and walk to the door she will do that. But we have has no accidents this week! so I am excited. and good luck! :D Dont stress it but do keep to your plan!! bullies are VERY smart and she will learn quickly

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.
I am NOT disputing Monica but:
Well this theory never worked for me! I guess my pups weren't notified! It was more like every 15 minutes! Whenever they went outside-they got a treat! Even just a small piece of biscuit, or what treat you buy. This seemed to work the BEST for me with bulldogs. When they started asking to go out-and didn't go-no treat! As time goes on-you will learn pretty much what routine works best for your dog and you.As they get older, the time between having to go will lengthen. After napping, after playing, and after eating-get out in a hurry!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He's a very cute little baby! He's so young and must still be in the process of getting used to his new home.

It will probably take another month or two to house-train him, and I don't think he is marking his territory at that tender age, he probably just needs to go!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.