My rescue dog just bit me

Tuukkasmom

Jan 19, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tuukka
:mellow: Not happy. I've had Tuukka since November, and he's been lovely to me the entire time, until yesterday.

I was moving him away from the door, and he clamped onto my finger, and wouldn't let it go. Thank goodness my finger was between his K9's or it would have been terrible. Eventually he let go, but I was shocked. Later that day, he snapped at my son who was petting him. After some discussion throughout the house, my husband, daughter and babysitter have been snapped at. (I guess I'm the only lucky one to have been bitten!!!)

Not sure what to do. I took him for a long walk today…We've been housebound a lot because of the cold winter, and I crate him when the kids are running around getting ready for school.

I feel bad, like I'm not sure I can trust him. I really love him, but biting is bad.

Any thoughts/suggestions/encouragement.

Thanks so much!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, how old is Tuukka? Do you know his background before you rescued him, if he had a history of snapping or biting? Can you call the people you got him from and get some background information on him? I wouldn't give up on him so early, but use caution around kids and people. You can try getting him some behaviour training and get some advice from a trainer that has experience with this type of problem. With training, you might be able to figure out why he's biting, or what his triggers are, and hopefully a trainer can help you rectify the behaviour. Good luck, I hope it works out for you and your family. Please keep us posted.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i'm not experienced with rescues but i've heard that if dogs snap out of the blue, maybe they aren't feeling well. does anything else seem wrong with him?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Reason for snapping can be one of few things i can think of
-underlying medical condition -its good to take him to the vet for a check up
-fear inflicted bite (something might have scared him -could be the silliest thing lile approaching him from the back when he least expected it)
-his past experience or lack of training
-he's finally got "his feet under the table" - last one links to the past experience/lack of training

After a vet check ,try to make sure to look out what are his "triggers" , and try to eliminate them at first,then slowly redirect the behaviour, it can take a while -also a good trainer can be really beneficial xx
Please keep us updated

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Good advice from all...he needs a Vet visit to rule out medical causes.
Please let us know, good luck & GOD bless!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
My hate to hear this ... You have gotten good advice so far please keep us posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He may not be feeling well. Although, like others have said, find his trigger. I know Brutus does not like to have his feet touched. He will nip at you if you try to clip his nails. I know this so I avoid it. I have a professional do it. I also know that if say he is sitting on the couch and you want him to move and he doesn't want to, and you try to shove him or pull him off he will nip at your hand. Brutus does not like any kind of aggressiveness toward him. I have had him since he was 8wks old. He is not agressive at all this is just his make up. If I want him off the couch, I talk to him and he will comply. Since your bully is a rescue, it is hard to know the backround so I think a trainer is in order.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I went through something similar with a male bulldog we rescued in october 2010. He was awesome for the first few month and got along with our dogs and all was perfect. Then one day he snapped and bit me bad on my hand when I moved his bed:( From there it just got worse cos of my fear of him. My husband worked away for weeks at the time and Frasier ruled the house. Eventually I was scared to be in the same room as him, he barked me into corners, starred me out and fought with our other dogs. I was a mess and even with a trainer helping I couldn't get over the fear of him and the possibility that one of my other dogs would be hurt. The trainer luckily fell in love with him and adopted him from us, we visit him once a year and he's just perfect now:)

I think in Frasier's case he got to confident cos of the lack of discipline in our household. I'm a terrible leader and he got spoiled and could do what ever he wanted, it went out of hand. Now he's a very well mannered dog, no aggression or signs of domination. Maybe it would help to go back to basics with training and just show him who's the boss? Simple things like not letting him eat his food before you say it's ok, make him wait to go out the door, not letting him walk in front of you on walks, make him sit or do a trick for every single treat he gets and so on... I know the trainer that has him now trained him by claiming space. He wasn't allowed to walk into certain areas of the house, all to show who is the leader of the house. I had to give my baby up, it was one of the hardest but also happiest days of my life, he got help and a loving home:)

I think you can help Tuukka, make sure he's not having a problem with pain (hips, ears, eyes?) it can be a source of aggression if he isn't feeling well:( If that's not it maybe hire a trainer or go to obedience classes? I'm confident it can be sorted out. The trainer we had said aggression is easy to address, and he did an amazing job with Frasier in a short amount of time.

I do understand your worry since there is kids around:( I hope you can get to the bottom of why he bits, will be thinking of you and Tuukka, hoping it all works out<3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with all the questions being asked.... hopefully we can help you along. I'm thinking also, he is in some pain

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have not rescued bullies but have lots of experience with other rescues. You have been given sound advice; I would make an appointment and get the medical clearance to make sure it isn't a medical thing. Then if all is good medically go back to the basics and make him work for everything, even his food. Rescues can be a handful sometimes, I have been bitten more times than I can count from past rescues but eventually once they realize who is in charge things usually settle down and things go back to normal. He could just be testing his boundaries so hang in there. Don't give him an inche until he understands what is acceptable behavior, if you have to put him on a leash even in the house to kind of make him work for his freedoms, he will get the point. Amber our two year old bully, will occassionally nip if she doesn't like something but once she hears our voice change she knows she is in trouble and will run under the dining room chairs and look out at us. She doesn't like her toenails done and comes completely unglued during toenail trimming. Good luck and keep us posted to his progress.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.