Horribly close encounter with a field fire

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Yesterday was quite an eventful Tuesday. At 3 in the afternoon I got a call from my husband saying he had heard that there was a fire close to our house and that I need to look into it. My first thought was I'm sure they are off on the area. I call the neighbor and she doesn't know anything so I turn on the tv at work and I see houses on the news down the street from us with their backyards on fire! :w00t: I immediately went into panic mode about Sir Rumble Pig locked in his kennel at home and an impending fire looming. I call my husband and run out of work like a mad woman. I get to the subdivision what seems like forever later and have to park a couple blocks away. I am running in my heals and dress clothes to get in my house as soon as possible. There are firemen in my driveway (we have a hydrant in our front yard) and I yelled something about saving my dog as I ran past them. I get inside to and Rumble is barking like crazy. Everything smells like smoke and there is a fireman in my backyard putting the fire out. :w00t: I grabbed Rumble and a water bowl (it was 75 degrees out!) and run out the front door. Neighbors help take Rumble so I can get our safe box out. It was all entirely way to close for comfort but it was wonderful how our neighbors responded. The fire ended up burning our fence and about a 10 feet deep path across our entire back yard but our house and all of us are fine. The fire department knocked part of our fence down (they apologized and said they tried to fix it but they completely broke the post) and within a half hour we had neighbors willing to help put it back up so we could keep Rumble contained in our yard. Other neighbors offered food and anything else they could do to help. Here are some of the pictures and the best thing is that Rumble made his tv debut!
484877_910176991191_521293753_n.jpgThe yard on fire is my neighbors. Our yard is shown on the top of the photo and this was taken before it gotten to our yard.
1780880_10201695527577022_1506803501_n.jpgAnother photo of our yards.
1625470_910033254241_288909902_n.jpg1912137_910033229291_1495621236_n.jpg1966720_910033364021_406072918_n.jpg The last three are photos of my backyard and where the firefighters knocked down my fence so they could get the hose into my back yard.

And last but not least, a link to Rumble's tv debut (please ignore my frantic interview...I was beyond frazzled and so worried about my spoiled Rumble Pig) http://www.news9.com/story/24758962/grass-fire-threatens-homes-in-nw-okc

As an end result and a reminder please try and be prepared for whatever may happen. None of my neighbors had a key to my house (although some volunteered to break in to rescue Rumble if need be!) which will be changing by the end of the week. You never know what may happen but we are definitely counting our blessings right now. :whew:

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh my god!!! First off, thank goodness you, Rumble, and your neighbors are all safe!!! How horrifying that must have been! I can't imagine the panic you must have felt, especially seeing the fireman in your own back yard.

This certainly puts things into perspective for me too. Makes me want to have a set of keys to give my neighbor, and maybe collect a few others' phone numbers just in case.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG! How scary is that, I never knew grass could burn that quick! I'm happy that you and your family are safe and Rumble is ok. He's a star now and how handsome he looked on tv!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Holy cow! I have chills watching this. Thank God everyone is ok. You now have a celebrity on your hands and I'm sure he will want to be treated accordingly! Seriously though, I'm glad you guys are ok

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh thank goodness everyone is ok and you didn't lose your babies or your homes !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG..... So incredibly scary! So happy you are all safe and together

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tiffany, that must have been so scary, and a real worry to know that was going on in your neighbourhood and knowing that Rumble was at home alone. I'm so glad your home, neighbours, and Rumble are safe and sound, and there wasn't too much damage. It's times like this that really make you think of what can happen, and it always seems to bring the good in each other and your neighbours, when something happens everyone will pitch in to help each other. Giving your key to a trusted neighbour, and having an emergency plan for Rumble when you aren't home is a good idea. So glad everyone is safe.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So thankful that you, your home and your baby are okay. This happened many years ago, when my children were small, where we lived. The fire came VERY close to our home. We had horses-but no horse trailer, and dogs. We were saddled up and ready to ride them out, And drive the dogs in the car. Helicopters were dumping water on the fire. I am so afraid of fire since that time. You and Rumble looked so good on TV, and thank GOD you are all safe!! That is so scary.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
OMG.. Thank God you guys are all OK. I was getting nervous just reading it. Can't imagine how you must have felt. :hug:

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Thank you everyone for the thoughts! I primarily just wanted to make everyone aware of having a plan for someone to save our babies in the horrible event that something like this happens and we can't get to them. From now on, if I cannot get there I can call at least two neighbors to go in and get them and I will be able to help get their dogs out as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.