New and Paranoid Bulldog Owner!

Kfish26

Feb 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie
Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for months in anticipation of getting my own bullie, and can now post as an actual EBD owner!

We picked up Tootsie last night and absolutely love her. She's 10 weeks old and the sweetest little girl.

I think I may have read too much before I got her though, because I am finding myself very paranoid about all of the things that can be indicators of problems with bulldogs.

Such as - She's a very heavy breather. Her breeder commented that her mom is as well, and the vet gave me some symptoms to watch for that could be indicative of a problem, but I am still completely freaked out that she's having a heat stroke (in Wisconsin, in February!); I'm also really worried about what temperature we should keep our condo. I don't want her to be too cold, but also we have noticed that in the car (heat) as well as when we turned the heat up a bit to please her, her heavy breathing picked up more.

We have our first vet appointment in a few days and am hoping he can talk me out of my neurosis. Did anyone else worry too much when they first got their bullie?

photo (8).JPGphoto (9).jpg

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yes when i picked up jovi from her breeder i noticed she was breathing really heavy too. But it completely normal, atleast from a regular breed dog. Because we are so used to not really hearing it it is kind of a "is something wrong" while we first adopt our pups. I am sure she if finE my bully does so much better on breathing now that she is a bit older. and congratulations on the new addition! so adorable :D

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Totally normal. I freaked out as well when I brought Harlea home 9 months ago and she was breathing hard and heavy. The first day was the worst but by the second day her breathing had settled a lot as she was adjusting to her new home. Bullies are very sensitive to change so it will take a bit of time for her to settle in.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh she's a little doll ! Congrats and welcome .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Super excited for you! She is adorable!!!! Your paranoia is very normal. When we first got Koozer, I remember listening to him breathe at night and not sleeping myself because i was worried he would choke on his own tongue or something. Eventually you get used to the sounds, and Koozer's snoring has become a soothing sound for me. You came to the right place though to get answers. Welcome and congrats:D

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Tootsie - Love the name! She's super cute.

Just have the vet check her out.. I'm sure she'll be fine. If your REALLY worried about it now is the time to sign her up for insurance while she's a baby.

Welcome to the world of EB's! Your in for a wild ride.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Congrats on your bullie!! She is gorgeous!!! But I worried all the time and I still worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am in a constant state worry over my two bullys. I think it comes with being a bully owner. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but I am completely nuts when it comes to my babies.

OP
K

Kfish26

Feb 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie
Thanks, glad to know I'm not alone in this :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

OP
K

Kfish26

Feb 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tootsie
Thanks for the comment! I set her up with Trupanion yesterday for insurance - Trying to do everything right for her :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your new pup, as she is a cutie. Her breathing does sound normal, and as far as the temp of the house, what we do is in the winter we will leave it at 72 deg. F. and just give the pups some blankets or towels in their bed to snuggle with, just make sure they don't chew them. :) In the summer we leave the temp set at 78 deg. F. and they do fine. Good luck with your pup, and we are looking forward in seeing more pics of her.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I leave my house at 66 in the winter and my bullies love it. Unfortunately living in Texas with our hot hot summers - they absolutely hate the summer time. I have fans going all over the house and they still will lay on the tile and pant. Just normal bully. . . .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3: to EBN and the most wondeful world of Bulldogs!!!

Give yourself time to adjust to everything, you will pick it up -- baby steps!
We are in PA... we set the temp at 68/72 in the summer amd 66/68 in the winter and Banks does real well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.