agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Now that the weather is getting better in the UK I am taking diesel on longer walks,
He's happily snoring beside the fireplace after a good walk. How far or how long do you take you bully on a normal walk ?

Jj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
it's still snowy and gross here but today I was able to bring her for a walk. We only went around the block but she had a LOT of play time before the walk so I wasnt going to push her too far. Maybe when its warmer too I would bring her farther.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I was able to take a decent walk today too!
Normally we do two half-hour walks a day. Sometimes longer, sometimes not. Hoping to get back on that soon. :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
1-2 blocks, although I walk a few miles to work every day, I'm afraid to overheat Lola. So it's only down the street to the elementary school and back.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Usually it's around the block but on the weekends we walk to one of the two parks that we have by us.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk is unusually athletic for a bully, so our normal walk is about 2 miles, but we have done up to 6 with a few water breaks!! :)

Tuukkasmom

Jan 19, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tuukka
It's been -20 degrees here in Toronto Canada, so we haven't gone out much lately. It was only -5 today, so we went around the block which was around 15 minutes…I was dragging him back…I find he's become really lazy over the winter, and we'll have to work up a little on the endurance!

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
We have gps'd Hollys normal walk at 1 mile. In the winter she could do 2 miles easy. She's a very high energy bully tho :yes::rundog:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Now that the weather is getting better in the UK I am taking diesel on longer walks,
He's happily snoring beside the fireplace after a good walk. How far or how long do you take you bully on a normal walk ?

Jj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need to move to the part of UK ur from :rofl: its still rubbish here in wet and windy Wales with constant flood or storm warnings!

I walk meeko around the block at the moment in this weather (i know that means nothing but its about 10/15mins) and on nicer days il take him to the park or the courts near to my home so he can go off lead and have a good run around with my skin baby. I cant let him off the lead unless im in a closed in space i panic he wont come back or he will see another dog and gains selective hearing. Plus its hard work keeping ur eyes on a skin baby and furr baby lol x

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We take a chance between raining in Wales Lilly isnt much of a walker but iim planning to change that -so short walks -or should i say short running up the hill -to build her stamina
Shy on the other hand loves walking so we go on a longer walks x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Depending on tempature could be anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
In Southern California the mornings and evening are really cool and i try to take the dogs for long walks at that time (otherwise their potty walks are just around the block).

I need to be cautious because all my dogs are punched in faces (Boston Terrier/French Bulldog- 51 lbs, Boston Terrier/Pug - 20 lbs, EB - 63 lbs) If one goes down I'm screwed.

I like to take them on long walks if they can manage every day if it is cool enough outside. I bring a backpack with cloth travel bowls and a bottle of water. I know it seems overboard but my terriers have so much energy and my EB needs to lose a bit if weight.

The furthest we have gone is 4 miles (with 2 15 min sit on bench breaks).

We've also taken the dogs hiking before but the weather must be cool. Curly my EB especially likes hiking - I think it's because we let him walk at his own pace.

But i need to be very cautious with overheating and their breathing. If any of them start panting heavy we turn around bad go back home (after resting and a water break) I also feel their ears a lot. I noticed when they start to overheat their ears will get warmed than normal. I have no idea if this is a scientific way to check temperature but in my heat it gives me a accurate reading of what's going on lol.

Anyhow, with all that said, long walks = hydration and rest during the walks for it to be successful. Avoid over exertion, dehydration and overheating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Though both of our dogs get bursts of intense energy, they don't last longer than five minutes before they are panting and taking a break. The walks depend on the weather. If it's sunny, Lola overeats fast and about 15 minutes is all she will do before she just stops and refuses to go forward. The only thing I can do in that case is carry her or wait it out. I got good at judging her level of motivation and always turn back when I see her getting "that look".
We also got one of these in case we go walk around the lake and she decides to do one of her passive protests:
IMG_0643.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online