Rant about adoption rules!!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Grrrrr we have been looking at adopting a brother/sister for Meeko. Looking at rescuing rather than having one from a pup to give an older dog a chance of a loving furrever home.

We were looking on an english bulldog rescue website for UK. Came across 2 that really caught our eye and were interested in adopting one of them. The one place told us we couldnt adopt one as we have a child under 5years old!! (My skin baby is 20 months) the other told us we couldnt adopt cos skin baby is under 12 years old!! What the hell. So we went up our local rescue centre to meet a pug x spaniel named alfie. He was so cute and friendly 12 months old has been raised with children and he loves other dogs.. PERFECT ... or so we thought! They wouldnt allow us to adopt him as Meeko is a male and so was Alfie and they said they wont re home 2 male dogs together as they tend to not get along. Wouldnt even give us the chance. Considering theirs so many poor dogs out there mistreated and need a loving home (that we want to give one rather than go for a puppy that everybody would want and is sure to get a home!) And it seems they gives SILLY reasons for people not to have them.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
WOW!!!

I totally agree, with as many animals that need a good home, they have some really stupid reasons to not let you adopt.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Most of the rescue groups I've worked with put the 'No Kids' rule on a dog due its temperament. Its to protect the KIDS more then the dog.

I'm not defending the rescue groups you've had to deal with.. but the last thing they want is for a dog to be returned due to a bad match.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww i'm sorry to hear about your frustrating tries to adopt! Maybe the perfect match will come along soon, I hope so!

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks all. I understand they need to be cautious especially with rehoming dogs around children but they didnt even give us the chance to meet them and see what they are like around my skin baby. And to see that even though he is just a toddler he was bought up with Meeko and makes him sit give paw etc and they adore each other and my lil man loves anything and everything he adores dogs and cats. I think we are going to give up for now and try again when hes a bit older. Its such a big shame though xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally agree with your frustration and wish it could be different, but I also totally understand why rescues do what they do.... Liability and they do not want the pup returned to have to go through re homing all over again.

so sorry....wish it could be different

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.