My heart is aching. My son's Pediatrician gave me a serious talk about my son's dog allergies...

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I am new to the dog lovers world, my love had been birds until the moment I laid eyes on Henry. He has the voodoo. I am curious what kind of birds you have. I have a few people I could go to to foster if I needed. Also, there is a bird vet/shelter about an hour away that takes birds and cares for them when there is an issue like this. It's a thought. Possibly something you could look into. Maybe get things under control and slowly reintroduce them. I hope for the best for you. I'm not sure where you are located but if I can help, please let me know.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi everyone, I just recieved a message from @anatess: "tell everybody for me how much I appreciate and give thanks for their kind words and that I've been having a hard time going through the thread and the forum that I haven't been able to thank all of them. I'm going to just lay low for a while so I can be very objective about this decision."

Gosh i feel so helpless and my heart just breaks for her and her son, so sorry they have to go through this. She can't even get past the first 2 messages of this thread due to heartbreak
. And no she haven't made a decision yet in regards of rehoming the babies.[/QUOTE

Yes, Anatess and her Family are finding this incredibly difficult and her son does feel
responsible, moreover...he loves them. His allergies are life threatening and worse,
he & his classmates saw their teacher die from an allergy attack just a year ago.
Anatess & Family have been fighting this for years, anyone knowing her knows, she
does due diligence in searching for answers & solutions and is not a quitter on any
level. To have to accept this solution...well...I'm at a rare loss for words and wish
I could think of better than I fumbled around for...such heartbreak on an epic scale.
Wish there was more we could do for them...GOD be with them & each of us.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I've been following this thread, and my heart goes out to Anatess and her family, I can't imagine having to face the decision of having to choose to re home my pets. Our pets are a part of our hearts, and we see them as family, but at the same time I agree with Dozersmom comments that the quality of our children's lives and their health is also important I also agree that there are many other options you can try first before having to make that decision. There are many new medications, treatments, vaccinations and cleaning products and rituals you can try to reduce the allergens in the house. I also have allergies to my cat, and when I first got her, I was sneezing, and my nose was runny, but after a while, I got desensitized to her, and I just don't let her in my bedroom, and we vacuum a lot. I hope you are able to find a solution for your family, sending you lots of love and prayers that all works out.

I found some information and tips on living with allergies and pets

Living with Allergies to Animals

People who suffer from allergies to cats, dogs, or other animals may be advised by well-intentioned doctors to find new homes for their companion animals, but doctors are increasingly recognizing the importance of the human-animal bond. Says one California allergist, “If the advice to give up their pets is handed down … most people change allergists rather than change pets.”(1) There are many ways to increase the chances that your allergies and your animal companion can peacefully coexist.

What Causes Allergic Reactions?

Allergy-causing substances (allergens) can be found in animals’ hair, dander, urine, feces, and saliva. They can be carried on clothes and can stay in carpets and furniture for months, even after an animal no longer lives there.(2) The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology reported that dog and cat allergens are detectable in 100 percent of U.S. homes.(3)

Despite some claims, there are no allergen-free cats or dogs. Dr. Kerry Hancock, who is with the National Asthma Council Australia, says, “All cats are going to shed hair (containing allergens), whether they’re long or short-haired. The allergen is the same across all cat breeds,” although allergy-causing proteins may be higher in male cats than female, and neutering a male cat might decrease allergic reactions.(4,5) As for canine companions, don’t let all the hype about labradoodles and other so-called “hypoallergenic breeds” keep you from adopting a mutt. The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology states, “No dog is 100% hypoallergenic. Even hairless dogs produce some allergens.”(6) Dogs with short hair or those who shed less might give their guardians fewer allergy problems.

Even exposure to rats, mice, rabbits, and horses can cause an allergic reaction.(7) Regardless of breed, allergy-sufferers who are considering adopting an animal should spend time with each prospective animal individually to see if a reaction develops.

Reducing Allergies in Childhood

Early childhood exposure to cats, dogs, and other animals has been shown to lower the risk of developing allergic reactions later in life. One study of more than 800 children in Switzerland found an inverse relationship between contact with dogs and diagnoses of hay fever and asthma, whereas children who had “early and current contact with cats were associated with reduced risk of wheezing and grass pollen sensitization.”(8) Another study of more than 8,000 children, ages 5 to 7, determined that those who had been continuously exposed to cats from the time that they were 1 year old were 67 percent less likely than other children to develop allergic asthma.(9) In some countries where cat companionship is high, epidemiological studies have shown a relatively low prevalence of cat allergies.(10)

Medication May Be a Solution

New medications can make living with allergies much more comfortable. A wide variety of nasal sprays, antihistamines, decongestants, and inhalers can help control allergy symptoms. Immunotherapy is composed of a series of shots given over time that can help desensitize you to allergens. Your allergist can help you choose the right plan for you.

Certain nutritional supplements and herbs can also help to minimize an allergic response, including vitamins A, B6, C, and E; bioflavonoids such as citrin; flaxseed oil, which contains omega-3 fatty acids; MSM (methylsulfonylmethane); and the herbs stinging nettles, grapeseed extract, and ginkgo.(11) Check with a holistic health-care practitioner for more information.

What You Can Do

First, be sure that it really is your animal who is provoking your allergic reaction. If you’re allergic to an animal, you are probably allergic to other things as well. By decreasing other irritants, you’ll reduce your overall symptoms. Avoid tobacco smoke, automobile exhaust, and other irritants that can inflame your airways. The following are some other suggestions for decreasing symptoms from allergies to animals:

Buy inexpensive vinyl encasing for mattresses and box springs, and minimize upholstered furniture. Wash walls, ceilings, blankets, curtains, and throw pillows regularly. (The main reservoirs of cat allergens are carpets, drapes, upholstered furniture, mattresses, walls, and ceilings, which catch dust and dander.)

Replace carpets with tile, hardwood flooring, linoleum, or rugs that can be washed, especially in rooms where you spend a lot of time, such as the bedroom. If you must have carpets, spray them with a product that contains nontoxic tannic acid, which helps combat the effects of cat allergens.

Use a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA)-type vacuum—it will capture the small particles of allergens that conventional paper-filter vacuums cannot. Consider getting a HEPA-filter room air-cleaner, which removes almost 100 percent of allergenic particles. Free-standing cleaners are better than the small, table-top filters. Remember to replace the filters often.

Provide your animal companions with their own comfortable beds and blankets.

Always wash your hands after petting your animal companions.

If possible, have others groom and bathe your animals and clean the litterbox. Grooming should be done in a well-ventilated area.

Beware of dusty or deodorized cat litter, which can be as allergenic as the cat.

Keep ducts, furnaces, and air conditioner filters clean.

Ventilate your house. Circulate air in the house by opening windows every day.

Feed your animal a high-quality diet that includes omega-3 fatty acids; healthy animals produce less dander.

Be thorough in cleaning—search out dust, mold, and animal hair.

Minimize or eliminate your consumption of common allergenic foods. In one study, 15 of 22 patients with asthma enjoyed improved health after only a couple of weeks of avoiding all dairy foods.(12)

Resources
Sources of allergy control devices and supplies:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allergic to Dogs
Managing Your Dog Allergies and Your Dog

Are you one of the many dog lovers that can't be in the same room as a dog without degenerating into a sneezing fit? Don't despair! You are not alone!

Thousands of animal lovers around the world are allergic to their pets, but that hasn't stopped us yet. Yes, that's me included. Before you accept the fact that you'll never join the ranks of the dog-loving public, or worse, feel you need to find Dustmop a new home, read these tips for keeping your allergies under control, and Dustmop by your side.

You're not even limited in your choice of dog breed. Terriers, Schnauzers, and Poodles aren't your preferred breed? Don't want to have to pay a lot of money for a purebred, and you'd rather hit the shelter to rescue a buddy in need, but you're afraid of your nasal reaction? No problem!

Living with three large, overly-affectionate, dander-by-the-ton dogs, I've found what really works to keep allergies under control.

Start Now

Visit your Allergist. Many are sympathetic to the pet lover's plight, and anti-histamine therapy is available for minor allergies. Immunotherapy allergy shots are also there for the heavy-hitting allergens. Ask your Allergist about starting a therapeutic program to get a handle on your allergies.

Air Filters are essential to any allergic household, regardless of pets present or not.

Carpeting should be removed regardless of the impending presence of pets or not. Carpet is one the biggest allergen collecting items, and with a pet, that effect is intensified.

Daily Allergy Controllers

Brushing your dog daily, especially during shedding season, in a well-ventilated area (preferably outdoors) can minimize the dust from floating furballs inside the house.

Vacuuming regularly, to catch and remove the aforementioned "floating furballs".

Weekly Maintenance

Hot water washing of all sheets and bedding that the pet lays on, even yours, if your bed is his favorite resting place.

Plain water rinsing of the dog will be the biggest allergen reducer. Even a dog with little dander will pick up allergens on his coat. Dust, pollen, and dirt all contribute to the "allergic" effect of a dog. Use plain water only, as shampoos and conditions can add to the allergen factor.

Wash the walls and floors of your house in mild dish soap to remove accumulated dander from the walls.

It's a lot of work, but nobody can deny the effect of a loving pet on the well-being of his owner. I have found the rewards of having dogs far outweigh any inconvenience
of a cleaning regime, and would not want them anywhere but by my side, in my house, and under my feet.

~Krista - living with dogs for eleven years and still breathing easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cdn.onswipe.com/reader/publishers/branding/28099/logo.jpg

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hello, just chiming in here as I am a dog owner with severe allergies. I have eczema, asthma, and allergies -- and my dogs definitely exacerbate the problems. I could never give up my dogs though, and so long as my allergies aren't life threatening, so my family has had dogs for all my life.

Right now I am in college and my allergies feel better when I'm not around the dogs, however, when I'm with the dogs, they do get bad. BUT ... There are things you can do to minimize the allergic reaction your child has to dogs ...

I'm just going to throw out some random suggestions, and maybe you can try them and see if they work so that you can keep your dogs and your kid can be happy too.

Keep your dogs clean and brush them daily, outside. There are brushes you can get that help with the undercoat. Also, keep in mind that it is the dog's skin dander that causes an allergic reaction in humans, not the fur. But brushing the fur helps.

Invest in a high quality, HEPA air purifier for your home. Put one in your child's room too.

Do NOT allow the pets in your child's room. This is a big no-no for me, and it's important I have a dog-free place to retreat when my allergies are bad. Also, designate some other places that dogs can't go roam.

Vacuum (with HEPA filter) and clean the house more than usual.

Take antihistamines or anything the doctor suggests. Also, check into allergy shots. I'm not even a year into my treatment, and they can take up to a year to start working, so be patient with them. I'm very much looking forward to seeing results in the next 6 months or so.

This may be extreme but get a breathing filter for your child too , on days when the allergies are bad or something.

Buy allergy proof bedding to control dust mites and other allergens.

Just try different things and the most important thing is consistency. Maybe you can try these things before rehoming your dog .... I couldn't imagine rehoming my fur balls, and I would suffer if I have to! :( I mean, I do suffer with my allergies, but I feel having my dogs outweigh the costs...even though I am very allergic around my dogs.

If my allergy shots don't improve my dog allergies, then I doubt I'd get a fur ball whenever I decide to have my own dog though. However with already having dogs, I just could never let them go. But whatever you decide, I'm sure you will make a good decision. Best of luck ...

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Hang in there , answers will come within. Decisions can be rough . Best wishes to you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALOna

May 9, 2013
Reno, NV
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ooshi
I'm so sorry you have to make this choice. As others have suggested, can you put the animals in a certain room and get air purifiers throughout the house? The "good" ones range in the $1000 price range depending on the square footage you are trying to cover.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Hi guys! Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm putting all my energy at home right now and just haven't had a chance to stop long enough to relax with the community.

I just wanted to post a very brief update as everything is in a "wait and see" stage right now. For now, all pets - birds and dogs - stay. We made some changes in the house that separates the furballs from the kids. They don't interact except through the glass (it's tough and my son hates it - but it's either this or they go, so my kid deals). Incidentally, my other kid's interaction with the pets are also limited due to dander getting caught in clothing and spread back into the house as they're both in close contact with each other. As I have the most contact with the pets, I get to shed clothing everytime I handle the dogs. It's ridiculous but it's the least I can do for the situation. I'm thinking of getting one of them jumpsuits.

The dogs, especially Bullie, is not handling the change well. I never though I'd say this for my dog, but I can see she's depressed! Gizmo has been super clingy, Angus scratches and scratches and scratches the glass when the kids go to it. The constant barking is driving my neighbors bananas. The Amazon parrot is going psycho from Angus' commotion and he's getting stressed. The parakeets don't seem to care much.

We got my kid on a different set of routine meds to combat the allergies. He's going through a major growth spurt right now (shot up 3 inches since Christmas!) so things are in flux!

It's a big hullabaloo and I'm not sure I can get this madhouse to settle down... but I'm giving it my super best shot!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Wishing you all the luck in the world and have my fingers crossed for you that it works out and settles down. Nice to hear your update :2thumbs:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi guys! Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm putting all my energy at home right now and just haven't had a chance to stop long enough to relax with the community.

I just wanted to post a very brief update as everything is in a "wait and see" stage right now. For now, all pets - birds and dogs - stay. We made some changes in the house that separates the furballs from the kids. They don't interact except through the glass (it's tough and my son hates it - but it's either this or they go, so my kid deals). Incidentally, my other kid's interaction with the pets are also limited due to dander getting caught in clothing and spread back into the house as they're both in close contact with each other. As I have the most contact with the pets, I get to shed clothing everytime I handle the dogs. It's ridiculous but it's the least I can do for the situation. I'm thinking of getting one of them jumpsuits.

The dogs, especially Bullie, is not handling the change well. I never though I'd say this for my dog, but I can see she's depressed! Gizmo has been super clingy, Angus scratches and scratches and scratches the glass when the kids go to it. The constant barking is driving my neighbors bananas. The Amazon parrot is going psycho from Angus' commotion and he's getting stressed. The parakeets don't seem to care much.

We got my kid on a different set of routine meds to combat the allergies. He's going through a major growth spurt right now (shot up 3 inches since Christmas!) so things are in flux!

It's a big hullabaloo and I'm not sure I can get this madhouse to settle down... but I'm giving it my super best shot!

Sounds like you have so much going on right now. Hoping the new allergy meds work. I can't imagine how tough this is on your whole family, including the fur babies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so glad you posted, I've been thinking about you! :hug:

I sure hope the allergy regimin works. I'll be sending prayers to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I hope things settle down and get easier for your family. I'm glad you may have found a solution. Fingers crossed it works. Best of luck

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hope that his new meds help out… keep us posted!!! ;)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wonderful to hear from you...your family issue has torn at my heart
for all of you (and still does). Of course you'd be doing ALL of this for
everyone, I know it weighs on you heavily but if anyone can handle it
all, it's you. Glad to hear what & how I should pray now and will be.

Sending my deepest & best love to all and praying GOD holds all of you
close in His Bosom. May you find rest, comfort & strength there for each
day and praying too for your Son's complete relief & excellent health.
Extra prayers sent to your animal kingdom that they learn to accept these
changes and soon. Very sad to hear of depression in them. Hugs for all
and may GOD intervene and change these things for your family's good.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.