My heart is aching. My son's Pediatrician gave me a serious talk about my son's dog allergies...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We've had dogs before we've had kids. So the kids are basically born into a dog world. My kid has F1 allergies among other things but we've been managing it ok so far. We were positive that he would eventually grow out of it.

Now he's 10. His new allergy tests are here and he still has bad allergies. His Pediatrician told us we have to make a choice between our child and our dogs and birds.

My husband says this is a no-brainer. I don't feel the same. I really think I can find a way for my son to be healthy and allow our 3 dogs and 3 birds to live out their natural lives with us. I have some family that supports me and I have more family that says I have to make sure I'm not just being selfish. My cousin just got done selling his house that he was over $100K upside-down on because his wife went and raised rabbits which caused him to stop breathing. They tried all kinds of cleaning and failed to get rid of the allergen. They've been cramped living off his mom's spare bedroom - with 2 very young kids - for 2 years while they tried to sell the house. So my family doesn't understand what's the big deal about just rehoming dogs...

Yes, I feel all the guilt wash over me about my decision-making to "sacrifice" my son's health. And I'm waffling here and there. And it is agony!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My heart just breaks for you… :(

I understand a little what you are dealing with, about 3 years ago I FINALLY got approval for allergy testing. Of course I had assumed it would be all the outdoor allergens, but to my surprise it was EVERYTHING indoors to include cats, dogs, guinea pigs and feathers. :eek: At that time we had one cat, and two dogs… I started taking injections and thankfully my symptoms have subsided. I was getting allergy induced migraines on a constant basis. When our cat Zoe passed away, we decided NOT to get another cat and I believe cat hair was the biggest issue for me. My allergist also told me NO pets in the bed, which I have done… and I got a Tempur-Pedic mattress to keep allergens down on the bed.

I'm sure you have done all the above and more… sounds like his allergies are more life-threatening than mine. I don't know if having your pets live on a different floor, or keeping them out of your son's bedroom would help. Pet hair is almost impossible to contain in one area… Gosh I'm so sorry…

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] I know how you are feeling. When my son was born, he was always sick. I have always had dogs, and birds. From the beginning I lived in fear that he was allergic to the dogs. It turned out that he was, in a way-allergic to himself, as he had a weak immune system. It sounds weird, but I was relieved that it wasn't the dogs. He got shots to strengthen his immune system, and eventually, by the time he was 6 years of age, he could stop the shots and he was okay.
As you know, birds (unless they are Amazons) have alot of dander,and dust. I know you love your birds-but maybe if you gave them up, it would be enough that your son could handle the dogs. Alpine air cleaners are also very good. I would try everything I could before I gave up the dogs. I for one, can understand your feelings on that subject. I wish you the best-I thank GOD I never had to make the decision.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, can't imagine having to make a decision like that:( I hope it can work out somehow. I don't have any experience with allergies in humans, just wanted to show some sympathy<3

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i have severe allergies..i mean i tested positive for every single environmental and household allergen except horses. my reaction to the allergy tests were the worst they had ever seen. that being said i have a dog and cat and will not get rid of them. i took on the responsibility of them and will see it to the end. i may not get another cat but i sure as hell will get another bullie. i make sacrifices for them...yes if i touch the cat and then my face i look like i'm drunk....the cat knows not to get in my face. the dog knows he can't lick me. but we co-exist in a 1000 sq foot condo. my allergist said oh they can't go in your bedroom and i laughed...you try telling a cat and dog to live in the living room. i chose not to do the shots due to time and the fact that he said it might take 2 years.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am in the same boat as [MENTION=2659]nyerathrt[/MENTION] . My doctor told me the same thing 2 years ago and I am glad i didn't listen to him. 2 years ago my breathing and hearing got so bad I was finally able to get allergy tested. Of the 782 things i was tested for I had a mild allergy to 427 of them and a severe reaction to 266 including cats, dogs and bird feathers. While we don't have birds we do have 4 cats plus Harlea and with my weekly injections my breathing has gotten much better. Hearing on the other had is something different.... While i cannot fathom the decision you have to make I would consult with an Allergist or a top notch ENT as there are treatments available to those with nasty allergies so they do not have to necessarily give up things they love.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree I would start with the birds and see how he improves. I am assuming these allergies don't include breathing problems or I'm sure we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I think trying to make it work would be better than getting rid of your bullys. I think that would traumatize him so much knowing how much everyone loves the dogs and he was the reason they had to be given away. It is alot for a child to understand that it isn't their fault. I think he would feel like it was no matter what was said to him. I wish you luck and hope everything works out for you and your family. Keep us posted with whatever you have to do. We will support you through whatever happens.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I could not imagine having to make such a Decision... Best of luck and I hope you can find a solution other than giving up any of your babies

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh that's just terrible for you and your family , good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] This sucks there is just no other way to put it. I think what you have to look at here is, is your son's quality of life being diminished by your dogs and birds, or is it more of just a bother? Like is he sneezing and taking some zyrtec or is he having headaches constant stuffy nose ect. If the answer is that his quality of life is being affected then maybe try reducing the animals first.
I know this is a very hard choice. Really and very truly I get it. But your animals could have the same quality of life if you found the right family. If you had to rehome some or god forbid all of them there are people who will vare for them the same way you do ao that is something I guess. While it isn't fair to you , and doesn't address your heartbreak, it may be something to look at. Do the most good for the most involved sort of thing
The other option might be to keep them in separate parts of the house but with the way dander spreads I'm not sure if that would work and then again the animals and your son would sort of be pent up in the respective spaces which sounds hard to do and not much fun .
My heart goes out to you and I wish you the best of luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my, I don't envy having to make this choice, but I know you will research and dig and dig until you have exhausted all possibilities first.

When my husband and I moved in together I really wanted a cat, so he got me TWO! Well, he had allergies, and I knew he did.... but he did not tell me he was horribly allergic to cats. His nose dripped like a broken faucet. It was not until after the cats were gone did I realize just how allergic he was to them.

My middle son Carson also is allergic to cats, and his friend has only one cat, but he cannot go to his house anymore, he would come home with such a bad sinus headache it would be like a migraine (or possibly a real one) headache, and completely closed his nose and throat off, he could barely breathe, along with vomiting.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Keep them in separate rooms, Is your son taking shots for his allergies? Please do whatever is necessary, But Please do not give up your dogs. Susan Moore

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im so sorry to hear about your son and devision you have to make about fur baby , you received great advice - all depends on the allergies -some have it really bad some not as bad and solution can be made. It is a really difficult position to be in ,please keep us updated on what is happening xxx

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi everyone, I just recieved a message from [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]: "tell everybody for me how much I appreciate and give thanks for their kind words and that I've been having a hard time going through the thread and the forum that I haven't been able to thank all of them. I'm going to just lay low for a while so I can be very objective about this decision."

Gosh i feel so helpless and my heart just breaks for her and her son, so sorry they have to go through this. She can't even get past the first 2 messages of this thread due to heartbreak
. And no she haven't made a decision yet in regards of rehoming the babies.

Staff online

Members online