Difficult decision of rehoming a bulldog

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I'm so sorry you have to go through this - thinking of you and your bully - hope all works out.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Update just spoke with the vet again she has a colleague who is willing to take him, and work with him, and he will also be the only dog. He also had bulldogs in the past. i will be talking with him in a few minutes to give him some background on him of course I'm excited and sad at the same time

Glad you found someone you trust that's willing to take care of him:) I gave up a bulldog about 3 years ago and it was hard. I knew though it was the absolute best decision for him, me and our other dogs:) He had aggression issues and I was scared of him, he bit me a couple of times. We had a trainer but I was to scared of him to sort it out. My husband worked away for weeks at a time and I couldn't handle him alone as he also fought terribly with our other dogs, he was a rescue and I think he might have been abused in the past. The trainer we hired adopted him from us so it all ended very well. I was as happy as I was sad the day he found his forever home<3 He is now a very happy balanced dog, I'm so thankful for how it all turned out for him:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes...I have had to rehome and it hurts so badly, I'm so very sorry it's come
down to this decision. It sounds as if you've done all you can (and more) to
solve it, sometimes it can't be solved and the dog needs to be the only dog.
Once you've found the proper home (sounds like you have) you'll know, it
was best for all and the guilt & sorrow will lift from you. GOD be with you all.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am coming in the back door here- I was the recipient of a rehomed bullmastiff. He was a rescue that my niece took in- she had his son( an 8 month old puppy) and a Doberman/Shepard mix who was 3. The 3 dogs together were a nightmare. Duncan( the one I took) had never been with a real family or other dogs for that matter. He was a stud that the breeder was done with, and asked my niece if she wanted him( she fell in love with him when they went to pick out one of his pups). Anyway, that threesome was a nightmare. I took him in because I did not want him to go back to the breeder- I felt he would just be crated. My niece and her husband were very cautious about me taking him because of his "aggressive" tendencies. I did not have any young children or other dogs( but I did have a cat). Duncan came to live with us, and he became king of our house within 24 hours. NEVER ONCE did we see any aggressive tendencies- even when neighborhood dogs visited the yard! However, he was content to " own" our house! We did not even have to leash him, a feat my nephew was appalled at- as at his home, Duncan would "escape" at any given moment. That dog was THE BEST dog I ever had. I have such a love for him, and I think he just needed a home where he was king. I am telling you this so you won't feel so guilty rehousing him. It may be the best for everyone, especially him!! Sometimes dogs just don't get along with each other. You tried, but re-homing may be the best for all. It was the best decision I ever made. Duncan McCloud will always have a piece of my heart!! We had him for 3 short years until he died of a brain tumor. But we gave him the best years of his life.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have with my last. Abram. It was very very hard but logic and safety won out and he did end up being rehomed. There is a thread here if you search it that tells more of the story but it was the right choice for him and us. In the end we are all happy that it happened this way.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Update just spoke with the vet again she has a colleague who is willing to take him, and work with him, and he will also be the only dog. He also had bulldogs in the past. i will be talking with him in a few minutes to give him some background on him of course I'm excited and sad at the same time

As hard as it is to let your bully get rehomed, he will go to someone who knows about dogs and will work with him and where he will be the only dog. So very sorry you have to go through this. :(

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
I have with my last. Abram. It was very very hard but logic and safety won out and he did end up being rehomed. There is a thread here if you search it that tells more of the story but it was the right choice for him and us. In the end we are all happy that it happened this way.

I just read your thread about Abram,and this is exactly what we are going through with Brent. We suspected some type of dog fighting but couldn't confirm it. He was a reescue as well and the previous owners weren't any help.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
We tried so much with our vet and trainer who is a behaviour expert. I have a lot of behaviour experience myself I managed a for daycare for years. But In the end it was the right decision. He is safe in his new home but has gotten to the point that he is not safe around anyone else. I have small kids so it would not have worked for us at all. I'm a firm believer that a dog ia forever but I learned that some dogs are not right for some homes no matter how much you want them to be. I wish you the best of luck

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
UPDATE: Brent went to his new home today. I held it together and didn't cry but oh was it so hard to let him go. I just wished it was someway in which i could read his mind and see what was wrong :(As hard as it was i felt relieved as well. ( didn't know you could feel to extreme emotions at the same time). I just hope he can truly live out his life comfortably now. But i know this is all for the best

Thanks everyone for there kinds words and help through this difficult time

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: Brent went to his new home today. I held it together and didn't cry but oh was it so hard to let him go. I just wished it was someway in which i could read his mind and see what was wrong :(As hard as it was i felt relieved as well. ( didn't know you could feel to extreme emotions at the same time). I just hope he can truly live out his life comfortably now. But i know this is all for the best

Thanks everyone for there kinds words and help through this difficult time

:hug: I hope you get to hear updates on him and know he is doing well. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.