Difficult decision of rehoming a bulldog

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Has anyone ever been through the difficult decision of rehoming a bulldog or any dog of that matter. Our family have been faced with that for the past 3 months.. I won't go into the story but yes our dog has visited trainers (3 at that) behaviorist, and vet but still attacks my other two dog ( one older and 1 a puppy). Our family has realized that maybe he just doesn't fit with us and needs to be placed in a loving home where he is the only dog. I know in the long run this would be much better for him. But I feel so conflicted and heartbroken :( Tell me how did you guys know it was the right decision to rehome your dog?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have never had to do this, but I can only imagine the heartbreak of such decision. If you know, in your heart it is best for all involved and everyone's safety and health..... Please find a local rescue to help you in the process, it is hard enlighten to know you did all you can and the issue does not resolve --- let pele with re homing experience help you find the best place for your bully.

hugs and prayers to you and Chole.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you are going through this with your dog, and facing what must be a heart breaking decision. Please don't blame yourself or feel terrible for this, it's not your fault. It seems you've tried everything to help your dog with trainers, behaviourists, and consulting with your vet. Sometimes all these things, and all our love can't fix everything, and we are then faced with the fact that our pet would be better off in another place, maybe as an only pet where he or she can thrive. It hurts us because we love our pets, and they are a part of our family. Maybe you can find him a home where you can stay in touch with the family either through visits or e-mails. I understand your pain, and wish and hope that you can find him a great home. Sending you love, hugs and prayers.

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
thanks everyone for the kind words i just feel conflicted. I love him but i know he will do a lot better in another home where he is the only pet and can be dooted on 24/7 and I just take the chance of him charging at my great danes neck or bulldog puppy again i contacted two bulldog rescue in my area ( the only two we have ) and they both stated that they are filled to compacity and can't take in any more bulldogs and ask if I tried a trainer in which I told them that i did. I contacted my vet they know a few rescues and contacted them for me.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks everyone for the kind words i just feel conflicted. I love him but i know he will do a lot better in another home where he is the only pet and can be dooted on 24/7 and I just take the chance of him charging at my great danes neck or bulldog puppy again i contacted two bulldog rescue in my area ( the only two we have ) and they both stated that they are filled to compacity and can't take in any more bulldogs and ask if I tried a trainer in which I told them that i did. I contacted my vet they know a few rescues and contacted them for me.

If you don't mind.... Where are you located? there're some rescues that will work with you if out of state/area?

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
So sorry for your pain but you are doing the right thing .... Good luck and I pray for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Is the older bulldog your last addition to the family ? Or is the puppy bulldog new addition x

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Is the older bulldog your last addition to the family ? Or is the puppy bulldog new addition x

the puppy is a new addition about 10 months ago. However our family has been dealing with this with our other bulldog for about the same amount of time. He isn't around the puppy at all I have to keep completely separate from the other dogs now. He's been in training and behavior training for the last 8 months

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
So you had the older bulldog first?
Is it the one you had problems crate training?
Why im asking is when we had a problem with latest rescue who sadly no matter what we did was ripping my deaf dog apart - he had to be rehomed as he was the last addition (he had aggression issues from the start ) same would go for my last bulldog puppy as Shy was here first!
This is why im wondering what exactly is going on with your fur baby that he cant gasp behaviour training ,it also could be that hes feeling left out .
How old is he? Did you have him from pup? And not sure of you said it have you had h vet checked?

Its just sad that the resident dog have to leave because he cant get on with the pup ;-(

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
Update just spoke with the vet again she has a colleague who is willing to take him, and work with him, and he will also be the only dog. He also had bulldogs in the past. i will be talking with him in a few minutes to give him some background on him of course I'm excited and sad at the same time

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update just spoke with the vet again she has a colleague who is willing to take him, and work with him, and he will also be the only dog. He also had bulldogs in the past. i will be talking with him in a few minutes to give him some background on him of course I'm excited and sad at the same time

That at would be a great situation for all.... Prayers it is a good fit for all.

OP
B

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
So you had the older bulldog first?
Is it the one you had problems crate training?
Why im asking is when we had a problem with latest rescue who sadly no matter what we did was ripping my deaf dog apart - he had to be rehomed as he was the last addition (he had aggression issues from the start ) same would go for my last bulldog puppy as Shy was here first!
This is why im wondering what exactly is going on with your fur baby that he cant gasp behaviour training ,it also could be that hes feeling left out .
How old is he? Did you have him from pup? And not sure of you said it have you had h vet checked?

Its just sad that the resident dog have to leave because he cant get on with the pup ;-(

My sincere apologies for the lack of detail. i have 3 dogs actually ( great dane and two bulldogs). The two bulldogs are rescues ( chole 9 months with crate issues- i think we finally got that under control :yes: ) and Brett ( the older english bulldog ). Brett from the beginning showed some aggression issues. So from the start we had him in training it seemed like he was getting better then one day he lunged at my great dane ( whose's 8 years old) and it's been downhill ever since. We took him to a behaviorist and vet. and started working with him again. My hubby and I took turns acclimating both dogs into the household Chole the younger one did well often falling asleep right next to the great dane.but Brett still had some major issue it was to the point that we couldn't even allow Brett near our other two dogs or any other dog of that matter without the fear of him charging and attacking. I took him back to the behaviorist in which we had a long talk about possibly placing him in a loving home where he is the only dog. My hubby and I have been battling with this difficult decision for a 3 months. We don't want rehome him but more and more it seems like we may need to for our safety. I feel upset that I have to play with Brett while playing with the other two together. but I'm also fearful After my nearly 15 years of rescuing dogs this is my first time having to rehome one

I didn't get Brett as a pup, he was 2 years old

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I have never had to do anything like this, it must be heart breaking.
Trust your gut, worst case there is good foster / new family's looking for bulldogs all
the time who will give you give your baby a good home

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
So you were basically in similar situation
I found it much easier separating shy and lilly than Shy and huge 8 stone american bulldog
Im glad that hes going to be living with a vet -it might be the best solution for him as a only dog
Did he have issues with your dane before you brought a puppy into the house?? (Sorry if im asking to many questions ,just i feel there might be something that trainers missed xx)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm glad you were able to find him a good home with an experienced person and a vet, he'll be in good hands, but I'm also sad for you that you have to re home him. I'm so sorry.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.