Eating snow driving us nuts

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
So, we live in Maryland and we have about 12 inches of snow on the ground. Sherman is plucking our last nerve. He sits by the back door and cries, barks, howls, to go out, just to devour snow. He will not listen, he won't come in when called. He is just eating snow like his life depends on it. He has been on a dose do prednisone for allergies and we are hoping that's what has him acting so weird. We can't ignore him constantly in case he really needs to go out. We can't tell the difference. He had peed in his crate at night twice this week due to all the additional fluid intake. Help!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My Finn has been on prednisone several times in the past and every time, he's had peeing accidents in his crate or in the house too. The need for more fluid plus the increase in urination AND the increase in appetite…all effects from the prednisone. Can you bring in a bowl of the snow for Sherman to satisfy him, maybe? Does he need an extra healthy treat in place of going out in the snow? maybe a Kong filled with goodies to keep him occupied for a little while will help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Henny gave you some good info/advice..... the pred is definitely causing the strange behavior and having to pee more often -- so once he is off that he will go back to his normal self in a few weeks (takes time for the pred to work out of the system.) My girl is OBSESSED with the snow too... digging and eating it so i feel some of your pain

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
Can you bring in a bowl of the snow for Sherman to satisfy him, maybe?

That is a WONDERFUL idea!

I am personally on prednesone right now due to carpal tunnel; it has a lot of side effects......I feel like this.....:nervous:and this.....:hissycry: and this.....:rain:

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I am feeling your pain we are in Iowa and Radar loves snow but we are 50 degrees today and loves that just as much sits by the door rings his bells i know after 30 minutes being inside he is good

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
IMG_20140216_175218.jpgIMG_20140216_175222.jpgIMG_20140216_175248.jpgIMG_20140216_175303.jpg
snow eating photos :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
We've had snow in the yard for what feels like weeks here. This past weekend...it was above 50 for two days and a lot of the snow melted. Dudley is beside himself...he has no snow to eat. He would go out many times a day and just eat the snow...and then, of course, tinkle...and then eat more snow. He's not on any medication...he just loves snow. He would eat his dinner and instead of drinking the fresh water in his bowl, he would beg to go out in the yard and eat the snow! I can't wait for Spring!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Stinky loves the snow too. Not only does he like to eat it he will "roll and roll" in it. He can't get enough of it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Dozed loves snow too, and he keeps eating and eating it, and sometimes he throws up. It drives me nuts too.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is quite pest when it comes to eating snow as well!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.