Walkies!!

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I'm taking Rocky on his first proper walk in the big bad world this week as he had his last jab 6 days ago.

We are both desperate to get out there and can't wait!!!

Just wondering how long I should walk him for. He is 3 months on the 22 Feb and has bundles of energy.

Also wondering how long to wait before letting him off the lead in the park?

Thanks guys xx

yre5eda5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
To be safe I would start out with a short walk and gradually build up. Right now we have Harlea up to 5/16 of a mile at our local dog park. We still don't leat her off her leash at 9 months because she makes a beeline for the beach in the lake. However, I don’t know how things work where you live but all the dog parks around where we live pups must be a minimum of 16 weeks old and have had their rabies shots before the can use the dog park and owners must carry a copy of the shot record in the event an officer stops you in addition to the tag worn by your pup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i would not have him off lead until he is trained to listen to your every command ( sit, come, down, leave it, eyes) otherwise you run the risk of him eating something undesirable or other dogs misbehaving and you cannot get your dogs attention

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks both! There's no way I can let him off the leash for a good while he's a little rascal!
Dogs in the uk have to where tags and be microchipped by law. They can go in any park from any age as long as they are on a leash and most parks you can let them off in certain areas.

We have our first walk today! Can't wait! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:smileywelcome:Hi, and congratulations and welcome to EBN to you and Rocky, he is gorgeous, and he shares the same birthday as my two guys. Bulldozer and blossom will be 2 on Feb. 22. I don't blame you for wanting to take him out on his first walk and showing him off. It looks like you have already received great advice. I was also going to advise to start out with a short walk, maybe 15 mins to see how he handles it. Look for signs of being tired, or panting, make sure you have water with you for him to drink while on his walk, but make sure he doesn't drink too much water at one time. It would also be a food idea to keep him on leash for his own safety. Be prepared to meet the Pupparazzi while on your walk, everyone will want to stop to meet, pet, and take pictures of your baby. Lol. When my guys were young, it sometimes took us an hour to walk a city lock with them, because everyone wanted to see them, and every child wanted to play or pet them. Enjoy.

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thanks all! We did about 30 mins and he did really well. It was certainly an eye opening experience for him! The first ever dog met was a beautiful, huge Ridgeback about 10 times the size of Rocky. They got on very well. He LOVED all the attention he got from passers by. Such a poser! :)

suty2e5y.jpg

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
[MENTION=11093]TacorisBulldogs[/MENTION] that's so sweet you'll love it!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a cutie for sure. I think you did fine with the 30 minute walk. Once he gets older you can go farther, as long as it is not too hot. I do not trust other peoples dogs, so I will never let mine go off leash in a park.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I can't wait to take him out to public areas. Ace is also waiting on his final vaccines :). Only back yard play and a 5 min walk on sidewalk for now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
To be safe I would start out with a short walk and gradually build up. Right now we have Harlea up to 5/16 of a mile at our local dog park. We still don't leat her off her leash at 9 months because she makes a beeline for the beach in the lake. However, I don’t know how things work where you live but all the dog parks around where we live pups must be a minimum of 16 weeks old and have had their rabies shots before the can use the dog park and owners must carry a copy of the shot record in the event an officer stops you in addition to the tag worn by your pup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

^^^^^ agreed!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Lol that is great ! Such a good boy :)

Most Reactions