Biting :(

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
My 11 week old has started biting my hands and feet pretty hard now. When I do the 'yelp' and say no he doesn't stop. He's actually started to clamp on and really hurt. It's a bit scary too!

I've tried distraction with toys and discipline too but he doesn't seem to be getting it. In fact seems worse!!

I'm getting worried that it might be a problem. Any thoughts it suggestions please???

When he is calm he is lovely and affectionate but the biting is really getting me down :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Tacori does the same thing…She's 10 weeks and 2 days. We are staying with the yelling no and immediately stoping the playing when she does it, she gets it…I think that she just HAS to bite because of who she is :)…We also use a whistle, we keep it in our mouth while playing with it and blurp as soon as her teeth touches skin. It works, she will either stop completely or she will begin to lick, which is fine with us :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Welcome to the "baby bullie world!" All puppies have a biting stage, and it usually lasts until they get their second teeth. You should not allow it, but it is a constant correction needed. When they start biting you, stick a toy in their mouth, saying no bite-bite this. Or have a spray bottle handy, spritz quickly and say no bite. Or a small can of rocks-shaking it is noisy and can distract them-then redirect to a toy. Different methods work for different pups. No hitting =as it doesn't help, and may think you are playing. Yelling also doesn't help. It has to be done over and over and over, but someday you will be rewarded when they finally stop. Do not give up, we, who have had puppies, have ALL been through this!! It is normal. I know it is pain ful at times, too! Hang in there!!!

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thank you so much. I like the whistle idea - maybe that will help. He's drawn a little blood twice today and it's so upsetting. I absolutely know it's not his fault and he's such a loving boy most of the time. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I really appreciate the pep talk. It's helped a lot. I'm on my own doing this and have no help from family or friends. I thought I'd done my research and was prepared for a dog but despite that I really wasn't.
I bought him as I recently suffered with depression and having recovered felt it was a wonderful thing to help keep me on the right track and provide a very loving home to a pup.
I'm off work at the moment but in a month or less I will have to leave him on his own once or twice a week. When I did my research I planned to have a dog walker come in twice a day to feed/walk and play with him for at least an hour each time. But now I'm not sure that's enough. He is quite needy.
I'm seriously questioning my ability to be a good mummy to him and am constantly concerned I've done the wrong thing. I love him so much and I just want the best for him... Wish it had a partner to share the load. It's so hard on my own. K

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba was a horrible biter when he was a pup.
We both had raw hamburger arms from his razor sharp puppy teeth.
He's finally over it now at 14 months.
Still tends to be a bit mouthy though.
So I tell him "Give Kisses" over and over again.
This works. Now we just get slobbered to death.
He also poops on command now when I repeat "Go Poo Poo, Go Poo Poo".
They are smart dogs, no doubt, learn fast too.
So don't worry, your pup will grow out of it soon enough.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=11051]KishiD[/MENTION] Please do not be discouraged! My husband passed away after us being together most of my life>the night he passed away, our German Shepherd also passed away. Many terrible things happened to me in the first year after his passing. I always had problems with depression-but never like I have had the past several years.
I have raised four pups-plus two for my sister, since then-and I have survived!! Yes, at times, I think I am losing it, and wish I had ONE dog-but I am ALWAYS alone-had too many "so called friends"(human) who stabbed me in the back-so I retreated from people and have my animals.
The puppy stage surely can be frustrating and depressing as you think you are a failure, or can't handle it-BUT DON'T GIVE UP!! It will be well worth it, though it will take awhile -they finally get out of the biting stage (if you stick with it) when they get their second teeth. I have never had a "babysitter" or a dog walker, or daycare, as there is no such thing where I live-and very few people take care of their OWN animals-it's all about cows!
You are tougher than you think, do not let a little dog run you off! Keep at it and one day, when he is your BEST FRIEND in the whole world-you will be so thank full that
you didn't give up! It will all be worth it. You will look at that loving bully face squishy and cute and wonder how you ever lived without him!! Hang in there, baby!
You will be glad you did!!!!!! l-luke-i-am-your-dog_-1.jpg

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] you are like an angel on a day when I really needed one. Thank you so much for your kindness.
It's worrying having no one to talk to and ask questions to so your help and advice has been incredible.
I'm so concerned about returning to work as it means being out if the house for about 12 hours so luckily there are plenty of dog walkers/sitters where I live. I'm going to ask them to come in after 4 hrs and then 4 hrs later. I hate the thought of leaving him on his own though. He's such an affectionate dog I'm worried it will traumatise him :(
Sometimes feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew but really want to stick with it as I adore him. He's such a lovely boy! Xx

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] ps LOVE the Darth pic! Soooooo funny!

OP
KishiD

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
[MENTION=7311]Starkie[/MENTION] thanks for the reply it helps to know I'm not the only one! Fingers crossed he'll grow out of it. Hands are starting to lol like a pin cushion!!

Most Reactions