brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok, so just a question to those who have boats. Do your babies come out on them with you? I am afraid Brutus and Frankie will become overheated. If I keep them wet will they be OK? We do have a cabin and a biminy top for them to be out of the sun, but I am nervous of them getting too hot. I think Frankie will really enjoy the water, Brutus probably not so much, but we plan on being out for overnights and leaving them with someone all the time will be too much. Any advice is welcome. Brutus has a life jacket already and we will be getting one for Frankie soon.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well we have a boat, but we have never taken Vegas out. Living in FL. it is just way to hot, we have a cabin down below too, but many times were out it gets over 100* on the water. We go out early in the mornings and were back home usually by 6. Vegas is perfectly OK staying home in the AC.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
during the day would be ok to leave them but we want to do overnignts :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
during the day would be ok to leave them but we want to do overnignts :(

We too have done overnights, I have a wonderful girl that comes to my house and dog sit's for us. There are days were out there and it's all I can do to stand the heat. Just not an option in Florida. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] does take her gang out on their boat all the time.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I might need to find a new dog sitter, My sister in law used to watch my labs when we went on vacation and when we got Brutus she had the NERVE to say he is "DIFFICULT" Well surely she just doesn't understand my precious little baby :whistle:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Rosalie, I know there's a few who take their bullies on boats but me personally, I will never take mine on for safety reasons. Yes it can get too hot on the water and add the sun on the vinyl seats and the fiberglass, there's no cool spot on a mild day let alone a warm/hot day for them to escape to.. Once they're hot putting lake water on them I don't think would be enough to cool them off. Reason #2 I will never take Wilson or Emma on the boat is that they will both sink straight to the bottom. It's not that they can't swim, they can swim just fine but only with a life jacket on. And keeping a life jacket on a bully while on the boat will definitely overheat them fast.

A friend of my husband's lost their bully a few years back. Yep, they had it on the boat without a jacket on it and jumped off into the water and unfortunately for all, their bully sunk to the bottom never to be seen again. :cry: That image still haunts me when I think of it and thinking of that happening with mine, well I don't even want to go there.

Reason #3 I don't take them on. They would never be able to swim to shore to go take a potty. We usually anchor off the shorelines and Jack just jumps off (as did Ace and Orion) and heads to shore do to his business. If you add a bit of choppy water or just wakes, well a bully's top heavy head is going to go under.

So there's my thoughts on taking a bully on a boat. NO no no and no! :D

Here's the only time Emma and Wilson get to go on the boat, when it's at the campsite. :laugh:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:eek: I would be a wreck, I get very nervous with Bullies and water, they just do not seem to go together

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.