Treadmill and Bulldog

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi all

has anyone ever used a treadmill with a dog? Like in my previous post Dexter is crazy and the weather isn't allowing me to get in the exercise he desperately needs plus we have no leash free or doggy day cares here I was thinking about putting him on a treadmill!
anyone use one before?
good? Bad?
tricks for first time use etc etc
thanks in advance

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]'s Wilson does, but only for fun though. I've tagged her so she'll chime in.

With my energetic boy, we let him play with his jolly egg. He can play with it non stop for hours, which is perfect on days when the weather's not cooperating.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson really likes the treadmill but will only stay on a few minutes. Start very slow and then increase the speed by only a .1 at first. Most speed Wilson went at was 1.5. I would stand in front of the treadmill holding something he wanted, that could be anything, a toy, treat, etc. Let me also just stand on it without it moving. Have you done that yet and how does he react? Wilson, and Emma just took to it though. Jack my pitty wants nothing to do with it and will stay away when it's moving, lol. He's a big ninny pitty. It really helps them though during the winter months when they can't get outside.

We have a basement that we are finishing right now so the last couple of winters I take him down there and play with him. I usually run circles and he chases me. He loves it down there. Now I also have 3 other dogs and two of them they play all the time, including outside in the snow.

Here's what he thought of it at first! :rofl:

4232DC6B-5ACB-4895-9EEB-06E093AE8A0F-168-00000032D625ABE6.jpg

:walk:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That was one of the first few times we really tried to get him going on it moving. He does much better now. :laugh:

After the video stops you'll see Emma's clip.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't mean to alarm anyone, but please do NOT leash them on a treadmill and leave the room. My dog trainer told me that Caesar Milan apparently did that to a bulldog, and it died… I guess he left the room and didn't realize the bully couldn't keep up. Apparently the owner sued him over this, understandably… I'm really surprised he would do something like that?!! :ohmy:

boomsboo

Boomsboozed
Community Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Southern California
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank (11/3/09 - 8/4/17), Max (Became Part of the Family 8/17/17
oh [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] so cute! Emma's clip cracked me up!!!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't mean to alarm anyone, but please do NOT leash them on a treadmill and leave the room. My dog trainer told me that Caesar Milan apparently did that to a bulldog, and it died… I guess he left the room and didn't realize the bully couldn't keep up. Apparently the owner sued him over this, understandably… I'm really surprised he would do something like that?!! :ohmy:

When did that happen? :( Oh yes do not leash unless you're standing there holding it. I'm surprised he did that. Even him just leaving was bad. The bully, or any dog, could slip to the side and chock himself to death.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Cute video. Amber and Ruby will have none of this exercising stuff; they play with each other and will attack anything with wheels on it and both will try to use a skate board to some degree but they are more interested in trying to eat the wheels. They love to drag things around. Amber gets enough exercise with her blanket when Ruby tries to hop on for a ride.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mr.Wilson is so good on that treadmill! love watching him on that thing :)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], that is so very tragic. I hadn't heard about that but that's a sad yet important reminder.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When did that happen? :( Oh yes do not leash unless you're standing there holding it. I'm surprised he did that. Even him just leaving was bad. The bully, or any dog, could slip to the side and chock himself to death.

I'm not sure, I will have to goggle it. I was shocked to hear it, especially from him...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I knew he was sued for the Lab that suffocated on the treadmill but wasn't aware of the bully.....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.