Too long in the crate?

mo4xdamomma

Jan 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlee
Tomorrow morning my son is having oral surgery. Im expecting to be out of the house around 5 hours. Dozer is 14 weeks old and does great crate training but I am a stay at home mom and he isn't left in his crate for long periods of time. My only options are leaving him in his crate or gating him in the kitchen and hope he doesn't chew up my cabinets :facepalm:What would you do?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Technically a 14 week old puppy shouldn't have a problem being in a crate for 5 hours. It's about the limit they can hold their bladder so just make sure he does his 'business' before you put him in. On the other hand.. He may not be used to being in the crate that long and would be happier 'caged' in the kitchen.

If it was me... I'd "err" on the side of him not destroying your house. You know he's safe in the crate, who knows what hell get into in the kitchen. An unhappy puppy is way better then buying new cabinets or him getting into something he shouldn't and be hurt.

Kevin (15 weeks old.. today!) does 4 hours in the crate every morning after the kids leave to school... He's used to it though.. He gets a bit cranky without his morning nap :)

Hope everything goes well for your son!

Last edited:

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I would put him in the crate. Throw a couple toys in there for him to play with. He will be fine.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree I would crate him with some safe toys. He should be ok for that amount of time. Hope the surgery all goes well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He should be fine in the crate. We crate ours all the time when we are gone, even the pups and they do fine.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I say crate too. Chances are, he's going to sleep for 5 hours.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have to agree with all of the others. I would crate him for his safety and your sanity.

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Yep... What they all said.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Agreed Sebastian stats in his crate 8 to 10 hrs while I am working . I hate that my ail won't be nice to him and let him out but what can I do I gotta work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
My 13 wk Ace goes 7 hours over night with no accidents. So 5 shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone as well, the crate would be the safest place for him, he most likely will just sleep while you're out.
He should be fine to hold for 5 hours, and taking him out before you leave is a good idea. He sleeps overnight in his crate and is fine, so he will be okay. I hope your sons surgery goes well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... He should be fine, a safe bone or toy to occupy him but he will sleep most of the time you are gone

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online