I am at my wit's end with Vegas!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OK, I know I have said it before always kind of joking but really NOT, but with Christmas coming and I will be having guest over Christmas evening for dinner I need some suggestions, I do not want to crate him, he will bark the whole time, same thing if I shut him in the bedroom, he will bark the whole time. I am starting to get mad already thinking about this!!!

You all know that Vegas is a humper, that is how he greets all our company and it is embarrassing and makes me beyond mad!!:angry:

I have tried the air can spray, a water bottle, a rolled up newspaper, yelling, begging, bargaining everything I can think of, but it is like he is possessed and has a one track mind, and that is to hump. YES he is neutered.

I want to have all my guest over for dinner but I am already getting very anxious about his behavior, like I don't have enough to stress about fixing a huge dinner and having several guest with having to worry he will be humping all of them. I have even thought about giving him a couple of benedryl to "calm him down" (Is that mean??)

ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I am so stressed out about this!!! Thank You. Kelly

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I don't think the benadryl idea is mean. If it calms him when you've given it to him for allergies then I'd say go for it.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:lol: Maybe I should be the one taking the benedryl to calm myself down!!!! :lol:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
A little "special punch" could do wonders. :lol:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I can't help u AT ALL!!! Beefy does the same thing but i let them know he does that now..... he has gotten me, my son, [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] and a pizza guy. I try not to laugh but I don't get embarrased after all he is just a Mr.Beefy:p

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Hmm yes special punch lol.. Maybe ask your vet for something that wont hurt him.. On the other hand have you thought about boarding him for the night? Other then that I dont know what to say...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Is Vegas more stubborn than normal? I ask that because out of 6 Bulldogs I have had, my most stubborn ever was also a humper. He was 3 when he finally took the cure. I had a friend who had quick reactions give him the knee to the chest everytime he tried to hump him. It took over an hour, maybe two, but Mack finally gave up. After that Mack would just put a paw on someone's leg and I'd tell him to leave it and he would. He hasn't tried to hump again and he is 7&1/2. Good luck.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hmm yes special punch lol.. Maybe ask your vet for something that wont hurt him.. On the other hand have you thought about boarding him for the night? Other then that I dont know what to say...

[MENTION=18]Pendragon[/MENTION], I don't want to board him. It is Christmas and he has to be here to open his presents!! Seriously I do not want him gone for the holiday even though that is a good suggestion, thank you. I don't want him like a zombie on something, but my Christmas wish is to just STOP IT!!!!

[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION], he is very stubborn and has a one track mind, he is 18 months old. I am just at a loss with this behavior, you said Mack was 3 when he finally quit? We have a ways to go!!!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do you have a friend who you think would not mind pushing him down over and over for an hour? And be stern with him (not nice and sweet?).

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], My husband will put him down until he is submissive, but even that will be embarrassing in front of our company. I don't think Joe wants to be on "putting the dog down to make him submissive duty." If it is only a couple of our friends I would not be embarrassed but this will be several, some that has never been here. I live in Fl. the home of transplants, so I invited some people I work with that has no family here as I or Joe does not besides my youngest 23 yr. old son. I think at work this week I am just going to have to warn them all about what Vegas does and what has to be done to stop it, Joe will hold him down firmly on his side until he becomes submissive, he is not hurting him, but Joe is showing who is boss (YEA right we all KNOW who's boss) I am very anxious about this.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] .... As you know I know nothing.. lol,,,, but I do know how to use Google Search. From what I have found it is a dominance issue. Vegas has decided that the hierarchy is fluid and is trying to assert his dominance over the pack. He must be made to submit to you or Joe and not try to exert his dominance.. They were a bit vague on how to do this but one person suggested that when he does this he should be isolated to show him that it won't be tolerated. I think that control of the pack has become up for grabs for some reason. Like I said I know nothing but Im sure one of the experienced bullie people here can help you with the details.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I don't have the problem with Chester..but I do with my shih tzu, except I'm afraid he'll bite someone. :eek: I put him in the bedroom with the door closed. He does bark a bit, but then he settles down and realizes "it is what it is". I can sympathize.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If it's not too hot or cold, put him in your car for the duration of the dinner party. Vegas R is the same way, only he is all about jumping up and getting petted. We started locking him in a kennel, upstairs, in the bedroom...but he still barks. It's heartbreaking, but it's not acceptable for him to jump..especially when he can knock you on your butt. If you can put him in the car..in the garage even better. If the garage is detached...EXCELLENT. I bet you won't hear him then!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I can say that [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] is correct. It is an alpha thing..... Our oldest fur kid, Sophie, humps Abby every once in a while. It worried me since they are both girls, but then I was told by the vet....it is an Alpha issue!!! Now that Bella is here, she has stopped. Bella will hump large stuffed animals....I guess she feels she is alpha now.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
some people I know have used that battery operated "bark off" with success to control barking. You can get it at Walgreens. I've never used it personally though. With any behavioral / obedience issues, i really do recommend Cesar Milan tactics. You look nerdy but it works! Especially the nipping of their hindquarters with your hand and that 'tchh' sound. People look at me like i am weird, but then they comment on how well mannered my Butler is.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.