Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am at my wit's end with Vegas!!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I am at my wit's end with Vegas!!

If it's not too hot or cold, put him in your car for the duration of the dinner party. Vegas R is the same way, only he is all about jumping up and getting petted. We started locking him in a kennel, upstairs, in the bedroom...but he still barks. It's heartbreaking, but it's not acceptable for him to jump..especially when he can knock you on your butt. If you can put him in the car..in the garage even better. If the garage is detached...EXCELLENT. I bet you won't hear him then!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I can say that @BruceP is correct. It is an alpha thing..... Our oldest fur kid, Sophie, humps Abby every once in a while. It worried me since they are both girls, but then I was told by the vet....it is an Alpha issue!!! Now that Bella is here, she has stopped. Bella will hump large stuffed animals....I guess she feels she is alpha now.

Always with me

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

some people I know have used that battery operated "bark off" with success to control barking. You can get it at Walgreens. I've never used it personally though. With any behavioral / obedience issues, i really do recommend Cesar Milan tactics. You look nerdy but it works! Especially the nipping of their hindquarters with your hand and that 'tchh' sound. People look at me like i am weird, but then they comment on how well mannered my Butler is.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Owning a humper at my house... this is what we do. He doesn't hump even close to what he used to. Maybe once or twice a month now. It used to be a million times a day.

LEASH HIM!!!! When you see the twinkle in his eye, yank the leash and tell him no. Then act like nothing happened. Keep doing it... He will eventually understand. It works really well. And I dont' think it's a dominance thing... at least not with Norm. I was reading up on it and it was saying that show dogs really are only bred for showing and breeding. The higher up in showdom they are the higher chance the are to be humpers. And I know Norms whole family... mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandparents were all show dogs; and did very well.

Good luck!!
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog family View Post
    Owning a humper at my house... this is what we do. He doesn't hump even close to what he used to. Maybe once or twice a month now. It used to be a million times a day.

LEASH HIM!!!! When you see the twinkle in his eye, yank the leash and tell him no. Then act like nothing happened. Keep doing it... He will eventually understand. It works really well. And I dont' think it's a dominance thing... at least not with Norm. I was reading up on it and it was saying that show dogs really are only bred for showing and breeding. The higher up in showdom they are the higher chance the are to be humpers. And I know Norms whole family... mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandparents were all show dogs; and did very well.

Good luck!!
    @bulldog family, @Libra926, I really like the leash advice, I will put his harness on so that I can have better control, that is an excellent idea!! I use a collar when I walk him or to go potty, but his harness if for out in public, vet, Petsmart etc, I have better control of him and it does not choke him. Libra I can't put him in the car, I do have a garage but I can not park my car in it because my garage is packed for storage, even though it is just Joe and I, and we live in a 2/2 with garage, it is packed. My car sits in our two car driveway and I would not feel comfortable leaving him outside while I was inside. (all about being paranoid.. people will steal him)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

I really agree with leashing him. I did it for a short while with Sadie just because she came to us with alpha issues and food aggression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads