Deer antlers

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I see some of you guys give these as chews. Are they edible? Are they ok for ace as a 13wk pup? He loves to chew on wood. He doesn't really care for his Nylabone, lol. If so, where do you guys purchase these? Feed stores? Petsmart? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We get ours from various place like PetSmart when they have them and our Holistic pet store. We like to use elk and moose antlers as the deer ones tend to be small and chip rather easily if you get a real narrow one. Regardless you still need to be careful as many bullies do love them but they can and have broken teeth and they can splinter or get sharp edges so be sure to watch your pup with them.

I believe Harlea was 14 or 15 weeks old when we gave her the first one and she is 9 months now and on her 5th one. The others are still good but I jjst need to trim them to cut some points off. Her next one is going to be a piece of moose flat paddle as we have had the best luck with those but you have to get them online and they are sold by the pound and are a bit more expensive

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, they are great. They will chew on them for hours and they last for a very long time. i get my antlers from Acadia antlers on the web. Heads up, the antlers are costly, but worth every penny... i usually buy the large

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
We give them to Hulk. I've bought them on groupon and amazon because it's cheaper than the stores. The first one we got Hulk was split. The one he has now is a full antler which lasts much longer and doesn't stain the carpet. Hulks 6 months and he's been getting his antlers for about a month or so.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Yes, they are great. They will chew on them for hours and they last for a very long time. i get my antlers from Acadia antlers on the web. Heads up, the antlers are costly, but worth every penny... i usually buy the large

Thank you everyone. Will def look into this company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
You got some good info above with the antlers. Good luck with the chewing wood though. Mine thinks he is part termite I guess. He is always looking for a stick or piece of firewood to chew on. Its a never ending battle at my house.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There is a site on the web called GOTANTLERS? that sells antlers. I would not get the split ones.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I have bought several antlers and by far they are Ace's favorite chew item, that he is allowed to have I should say. Yes they can eventually gnaw them down but they last a good bit. The best one I have purchased so far came from here. I bought the standard monster, it's a nice fresh antler with fresh marrow inside, when Ace gets it he is totally preoccupied.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WMUMYS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@ Rural Mystic That is a really good price. Wish I could get them for my dogs-but they "argue" over everything! I know those antlers would cause a REAL fight, too tempting!! Their loss!

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I have bought several antlers and by far they are Ace's favorite chew item, that he is allowed to have I should say. Yes they can eventually gnaw them down but they last a good bit. The best one I have purchased so far came from here. I bought the standard monster, it's a nice fresh antler with fresh marrow inside, when Ace gets it he is totally preoccupied.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WMUMYS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a great price. I'm gonna go with the large considering ace is only 13 wks. Thanks for sharing!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
What is the difference between deer and elk antler?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you :) I am a newbie EBD mom . She's a rescue.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you :) I am a newbie EBD mom . She's a rescue.

No worries. We were all newbies at one point in time. Heck i still consider myself a newbie as i have only had my baby for 7 months.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Congratulations ! Enjoy the puppy months! I a first time EBD mom . I love her so much!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.