Nylabone Effects

Wrightea13

Sep 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson
I recently switched my 8 month old bully from rawhide bones to Nylabone after learning that rawhides aren't the best for the breed. He ate about three quarters of an 8 inch bone in one sitting, and since doing so he has had severe diarrhea. Has anyone else had this experience?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
There's lots of different kinds of Nyla's out there but i'm assuming you gave him one of those edible varieties? Looking at the ingredient list of their website, your bully may have sensitivities to any of the following if they're not used to it:
ingredients

Wheat starch, glycerin, Powdered Cellulose, lecithin, potato starch, chicken powder, roast beef flavor, natural bacon flavor, natural flavor, oat fiber, calcium carbonate, soy flour and rosemary oil. Vitamins: Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Biotin, Choline, Inositol and PABA. Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Manganese Oxide and Sodium Molybdate.

I've given mine the edible Nyla's before w/out any adverse effects but you may want to stick to the non-edible Nylabones instead for Jackson. Or deer antlers are also a great alternative.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki and now lola are only aloud the rhino nylabone or real bone or antler. I don't like the edible nylabone those shards can't be good for their bellies?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We wont give Buster the edible Nylabones. We just got back from the store and I spent $65 on Nylabones and Kong toys :w00t:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we dont give the edible nylabones either. but we have switched from the 'powerful chewers' ones to the rubbery ones for the safety and cleanliness of her teeth. she still gets deer and elk antlers though. good source of glucosamine, and she loves them.

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
We have never given our bullies the edible Nylabones. Clyde absolutely loved Nylabones, but Morgan is an Elk Antler guy :-). Glad you found out that raw hides are bad for them. The Elk Antlers are expensive, but they last a long time. We always supervise Morgan when he has his... just to be on the safe side.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have Nylabones all over the house-but never have gotten the edible kind. I just don't like giving them things like that. Never any edible toys or rawhides.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This happen when I gave Nitschke one of those for the first time.... and needless to say, he did not get a second. banks has a steal stomach so it did not bother her, but she also tries to swallow things whole, so no edibles for her

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I have Nylabones all over the house-but never have gotten the edible kind. I just don't like giving them things like that. Never any edible toys or rawhides.

Ditto

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June could chew those edible Nylabones for over an hour a few months ago. We gave her one a couple weeks ago and it was gone in 15 minutes!!! She likes them but I won't spend the money on them now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I gave Dooley an edible one once as a treat and in a matter of minutes he ate about 80% of it. About two hrs later he puked. So no more edible for us. Strictly deer antlers, nylabone chews and kong toys for him.

OP
Wrightea13

Wrightea13

Sep 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson
Thank you so much everyone!!! No more edible Nylabones for Jackson :) Now I just need to find a good place to purchase antlers and see how he does with those!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We never use the editable Nylabones. Get the hard ones for tough chewers, they last a long time.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
We used to give our dogs nylabone Galileo bones. I don't see them in the stores now, so we have Kongs and nylabone dura chews. We find little rice sized pieces of nylabone all over the throw blankets though. Chewables are all too soft!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
After a doggie dentist said that Nylabones account for about 80% of his business, I quit giving them to her. Kong, Orka, and Goughnuts only.. Eating that much, can't be good, but hopefully the diarrhea will expedite the "eviction" of it..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.