Finally found out where Winslow came from

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I knew I shouldn't have looked!
So, I have always been a little ashamed of how we wound up with him, and i just wanna get it out. I found him on Craigslist - I swear I was just looking! But there he was, his squishy little face atop his big adorable paws, looking at the camera like, "Jenna, when are you gonna come be my mama?" :lubu:
Much to my surprise my husband told me to call for him (we were actually planning to take a look at our local SPCA the next day). So we met, after the most sleepless night I have ever experienced.

Anyway, this story is getting long! Obviously the rest is history. After a while I forgot about the breeder/health/registration papers I was supposed to be given, figured there were none and didn't really care. But last weekend, his previous owner got in touch with me and told me he'd found the papers and realized he never sent them to me.

They came in the mail today. My heart sang when I found out his birthday! I don't know why it's so significant to me but I've always wondered, and making one up was never satisfying. Then I found his parents' names and saw they were registered under ACA, not AKC which I was led to believe. I should have left it alone at that point, but there I am at the computer for an hour, trying to figure out how to track all this down. Uhh DUH! There's the name and phone number of the breeder on the paper. :haha:

Type in the guy's name aaaaaaand... womp womp womp, puppy mill king. :facepalm: I've always figured he came from one, but I felt tremendous guilt once it was confirmed. I didn't do my research on him and I knew it. I feel like in some way I supported it, something I have always felt so strongly against. Would I change it, if given the chance to do it all over again? Probably not, cause my god do I ever love this dog, so why am I whining.

Fun little thing, since I cannot find any segway into this subject... he is registered as a Victorian Bulldogge on this paper. :ohmy: It would explain the long legs, and perhaps his more muscular tone, but that's about it, as far as I know! He's almost a year and is at 50 pounds, so he'd be a runt of a Victorian. I'm sticking with EB, though, unless anyone believes otherwise.

I guess in a way I'm glad to have these answers... but in another way, ignorance might have been bliss. But I don't think so. He is a healthy, happy (and gorgeous, if I do say so myself! haha) boy and we're all blessed for that.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He is a BEAUTIFUL boy=and you SAVED his life by finding him-so feel no guilt!! You had no way of knowing and though the breeder may not have cared where he went-he got LUCKY when you found him! In essence, you rescued him.:) Being on Craigslist, no telling where he would have wound up! Lucky,lucky Winslow.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hey now, at least he wasnt stolen and registered to someone else!

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
At the end of the day he is your puppy and he deserves your love :) happy you have him :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it doesn't really matter where he came from. He is a beautiful boy and he is loved big time, so that's all that matters. :)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
He is a BEAUTIFUL boy=and you SAVED his life by finding him-so feel no guilt!! You had no way of knowing and though the breeder may not have cared where he went-he got LUCKY when you found him! In essence, you rescued him.:) Being on Craigslist, no telling where he would have wound up! Lucky,lucky Winslow.
Aww!! ♥♥
Sometimes I told myself that it counted as a rescue haha.
I'm the lucky one! Especially being I left it up to my husband!!.. Although I do wonder, did he really have a choice? :p

At the end of the day he is your puppy and he deserves your love :) happy you have him :)

Thanks, I am too!
He is my boy, no matter where he came from. I just hope you guys get what was making me feel bad haha.

hey now, at least he wasnt stolen and registered to someone else!
Haha, this is very true! Unless he was stolen along with the papers! :eek:

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I understand. I actually just posted about puppy mills and was worried that my pup came from one and I did my research as well. Held my breath almost the whole time. So I completely understand. But everything happens for a reason and a blessing you found him on Craigslist happened because it was meant to and you'll take care of him the right way :)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Well it doesn't really matter where he came from. He is a beautiful boy and he is loved big time, so that's all that matters. :)
Aw, thanks. I think I feel better just having said all of that.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=10754]raetate[/MENTION] I must not have seen your thread!
Glad I'm not the only one.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
It's in general bulldog talk. But yeah it's scary but a lot of people on here are really supportive and will help you out with anything you have questions on if anything arises. This site has really helped me with Hercules. Granted he did not come from a puppy mill but the thought is still not settling.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sorry you felt guilty so long and you know what...no shame! You can't know
what you didn't know...and now you do, like so many of us here, myself included.
Winslow is so lucky you found him and brought him home, so lucky! And, so are
you to have such a handsome boy and healthy...I love that pic of the two of you.
GOD bless all of you <3

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
He's beautiful<3 and the fact is that puppy mill puppies must also get awesome homes:) it's not really the puppies new parents fault that the breeder doesn't care for their dogs. The buyer just want a puppy to love:) I blame the breeder for not caring, I blame pet stores for selling dogs to make money and I blame the state for not having regulations and checkups when it comes to breeding. I don't think you need to feel guilty AT ALL, your baby has a great home with you and that is what matters:)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Sorry you felt guilty so long and you know what...no shame! You can't know
what you didn't know...and now you do, like so many of us here, myself included.
Winslow is so lucky you found him and brought him home, so lucky! And, so are
you to have such a handsome boy and healthy...I love that pic of the two of you.
GOD bless all of you <3
I just felt I should have found out is all, like it was irresponsible not to find out all those answers before we got him. But who knows, maybe we would have changed our minds! That would be the real shame!

Thanks Carol. I feel all better about this now. :)

He's beautiful<3 and the fact is that puppy mill puppies must also get awesome homes:) it's not really the puppies new parents fault that the breeder doesn't care for their dogs. The buyer just want a puppy to love:) I blame the breeder for not caring, I blame pet stores for selling dogs to make money and I blame the state for not having regulations and checkups when it comes to breeding. I don't think you need to feel guilty AT ALL, your baby has a great home with you and that is what matters:)
Thanks so much for your comment. No matter where they came from you're right, they deserve wonderful homes and Winslow's got one! ;)

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
You definitely shouldn't feel guilty. It's the breeders fault not yours. All you did was give a puppy a home with lots of love!!

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
He's gorgeous! And think of the awesome life he is getting. He's one lucky boy considering how things could have turned out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.