is my bull underweight?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor was approximately the same size at that age; I have a note of him weighing lbs 25.1 at 21 weeks. Now he's ten months old and weighs in at around lbs 38-39 and has started to fill out a bit.

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Looks just like my Shakespeare, as well! He is coming up on 8 months old and is approx. 30 pounds. Shakespeare's legs appear to be long also, and his chest is just starting to fill out a little. We feed him raw so I think that has contributed to his "leanness" and he is super active.

Kevin @ BaxterTiberius, how big is Baxter now? They are only a week apart and seem to be so similar in size.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Looks just like my Shakespeare, as well! He is coming up on 8 months old and is approx. 30 pounds. Shakespeare's legs appear to be long also, and his chest is just starting to fill out a little. We feed him raw so I think that has contributed to his "leanness" and he is super active.

Kevin @ BaxterTiberius, how big is Baxter now? They are only a week apart and seem to be so similar in size.

Its definitely the raw feeding. I do believe that whole foods are the way to go, but I eventually decided that baxters body fat level was too low. I know why too. If all you did was eat meat protein all day, you would not only become bone-thin, but you'd be lacking in energy. Body needs carbs and fats to operate properly. A lot of people disagree with me on that about Dogs, but I am still working through this in my head.

I can see baxters ribs way too often on raw, and he eats mass quantities of it too. Yet he looks nothing like every other english bulldog his age. I don't believe its just the age. I believe its the diet. I know we all avoid kibble because of the horrible stories. And I personally will always avoid grains and gluten and other gut-damaging foods with Baxter. But I am not yet sold on raw that has no carbs. At least not for english bullys. I go to these bully meetups and 100% of them are round fat butterballs. Even the ones Baxters age. And I know they're all on low quality kibbles. And I know they may all deal with health problems long term.

But baxter now has health problems related to his kidney and I don't believe its a coincidence. If all we did was pour in the protein meats, we would have strained kidneys too. So I am trying my best to find a kibble to add to his meals that isn't horrible, so he can get some carb fillers and other ingredients .... alongside the whole food meat I give him. He eats Farm Fresh Pet Foods now, but it too is like 95% meat protein.

To answer your question, he's now about 9 months old and he's 34 lbs. He was 27 lbs but I started taking the advice of the breeder, and giving him fatty yogurt in each meal. I am not comfortable giving him saturated fat like that long-term, so I am trying to find something to supplement his meals. Proper diets include Protein/Carbs/Fats in proper ratios. Zero carbs doesn't strike me as healthy. Even in dogs.
@Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Its definitely the raw feeding. I do believe that whole foods are the way to go, but I eventually decided that baxters body fat level was too low. I know why too. If all you did was eat meat protein all day, you would not only become bone-thin, but you'd be lacking in energy. Body needs carbs and fats to operate properly. A lot of people disagree with me on that about Dogs, but I am still working through this in my head.

I can see baxters ribs way too often on raw, and he eats mass quantities of it too. Yet he looks nothing like every other english bulldog his age. I don't believe its just the age. I believe its the diet. I know we all avoid kibble because of the horrible stories. And I personally will always avoid grains and gluten and other gut-damaging foods with Baxter. But I am not yet sold on raw that has no carbs. At least not for english bullys. I go to these bully meetups and 100% of them are round fat butterballs. Even the ones Baxters age. And I know they're all on low quality kibbles. And I know they may all deal with health problems long term.

But baxter now has health problems related to his kidney and I don't believe its a coincidence. If all we did was pour in the protein meats, we would have strained kidneys too. So I am trying my best to find a kibble to add to his meals that isn't horrible, so he can get some carb fillers and other ingredients .... alongside the whole food meat I give him. He eats Farm Fresh Pet Foods now, but it too is like 95% meat protein.

To answer your question, he's now about 9 months old and he's 34 lbs. He was 27 lbs but I started taking the advice of the breeder, and giving him fatty yogurt in each meal. I am not comfortable giving him saturated fat like that long-term, so I am trying to find something to supplement his meals. Proper diets include Protein/Carbs/Fats in proper ratios. Zero carbs doesn't strike me as healthy. Even in dogs.
@Redsmom

I, too, was concerned about too much meat protein. After a ton of research, I decided to give him a tablespoon of yogurt or cottage cheese at each meal along with approx. 2 oz of steamed, puréed veggies. He gets all the carbs he needs from the veggies (although many vets/nutritionists don't believe that dogs need any carbs but agree that they won't hurt). He gets a variety of meats (both with/without bone), fish, whole raw eggs, organs, and supplements of Salmon Oil, ACV w/ raw honey, brewer's yeast, and coconut oil. He is really starting to fill out in the chest over the past few weeks!

Members online

No members online now.