incontinence

Lynne Brierley

Feb 7, 2014
Hi, my almost 10 year old little girl has recently started to become incontinent during the night....I put this down to her 'getting on a bit', she is normally so clean. Her health is pretty good for her age....she eats/drinks normally, but just this last week or so she is now also just sqatting during the day too - even if she's just been out 30mins prior. This morning she has actually 'pee'd' whilst she was sat at my feet, actually sat in the puddle it formed and didn't even let on!
I'm terrified to take her to the vet incase she doesn't come home as I've been told she is at the top end of the average lifespan of a bully. I have had her for 5 years, after taking her in from a family who couldn't give her the attention she required - she is my baby and I am so worried I'm going to lose her.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww poor baby… I'm so sorry, but it sounds like this is normal for older bully's. I will tag some people who may be able to advice, but you may want to take her to the vet just to be sure she doesn't have an infection or something. I highly doubt ANY vet would recommend surgery for a girl that age.

OP
L

Lynne Brierley

Feb 7, 2014
Thank you - it does help to have found this site knowing I can come to others with knowledge and compassion.

Hugs - Lynne & Maisie x

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I have a 13 year old blue heeler female that struggles with the same issue (ok.. we struggle with it :) ).

Hopefully, yours is just the common variety female incontinence. I was told its VERY common in female spayed doges (i've heard it affects anywhere between 10-20% female dogs.. not sure if that's true).

We had Ellie on Proin (phenylpropanolamine) for about a year before i started to worry about some of the side affects. We've switched her over to a 'natural' supplement and we can normally keep it in check.

I would recommend taking her to the vet to get checked out... UTI and other illness can cause the problem.. but hopefully you just have a case of 'Leaky Winky' (as its called in our house).

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
If shes healthy in all other aspects of life theres no reason why she wont come home. I would take her to the vet incase she is struggling with a UTI If its come on suddenly rather than gradual incontinence. And if uti shows clear and it is just age its certainly not the end - theres a member on here that makes home made nappies for her bully.. il try and find the post now for you :)

Please keep us updated on how she is :2thumbs:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] is the one who makes home made nappies - it sounds a great idea its posted in another page where a bully mum had incontinence concerns - the topic thread is called urination problem on the bottom of page 2 of this forum section if u want a read through.. I dont know how to post a direct link sorry :-)

this is what her advice was on home made nappies - she makes the for her Bichon

I take a long piece of denim cloth (sturdy) that can go around his belly plus a few inches and is at least 5 inches wide. I take diaper cloth the same width as the denim (from washable baby diapers) and line the middle of the of the denim where his belly would be. I sew it onto the denim. Then I fold the long edges of the denim by 1 inch and sew/serge leaving about 1/2-3/4" space between the fold and the sew line. If you don't have a serger, fold the edge of the cloth before you sew so you won't have rough cloth edges that could potentially irritate your dog's skin. I then run elastic through the 3/4" space (like a tunnel) by attaching the elastic to a safety pin and running the safety pin through. The elastic has to be the same length of the denim when stretched out. Attach the ends of the of the elastic to the edge of the denim. When you let go of the elastic, the belly band will curl - if it doesn't curl, your elastic is too thin and you'll need a sturdier one. This will help keep the Belly Band in place on the dog. Attach a 2" or 3" wide matching velcro to the ends of the denim to make the closure. That's it! Easy does it. I made 12 of these that I rotate everyday and throw in the wash. And so that the Belly Band can last through more than one pee'ing incident, I line the Band with "wingless" sanitary napkin...*

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome: I agree that the first thing to do is take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a uti. If she does, it can be cured with meds. If she has no uti and it is that her muscles are growing weak-diapers are the way to go. If she is not in pain, and doing well otherwise-there is no reason to "put her to sleep". YOU will know when that day comes-it will be your decision, and no one else's. As long as she is happy,pain free, and you are happy-enjoy your baby for as long as you can.-but just to be sure take her for the check up! Best Wishes!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Poor baby!

The Belly Band that I make is for boy dogs. It is easier on them because their pee comes out towards the middle of their bellies so you can wrap the band around their bellies to catch it. Unfortunately, girl dogs pee right between their legs so you can't just wrap a Belly Band around it, so you'll have to make the nappies that goes around their legs and through their tails.

It's basically the same as the boy one except that instead of going around the belly, it goes front to back with a hole in the middle for the tail and then you'll need a band that will have the velcro that goes around the belly.

Like this:
lily-ww-diapers.jpg

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've already gotten excellent advice from above members. I agree that it's a good idea to have her checked out by the vet, to rule out UTI, and I was also going to mention that you can use doggie diapers, and also maybe place pee pads where she lies to make her more comfortable, and to make it easier to clean up. Bless her sweet baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN... Glad you found us

As others suggest, have her checked for a UTI , but if she has become incontinent. You can get even more advice and support form our sister site .... Special Needs Bulldogs

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi, my almost 10 year old little girl has recently started to become incontinent during the night....I put this down to her 'getting on a bit', she is normally so clean. Her health is pretty good for her age....she eats/drinks normally, but just this last week or so she is now also just sqatting during the day too - even if she's just been out 30mins prior. This morning she has actually 'pee'd' whilst she was sat at my feet, actually sat in the puddle it formed and didn't even let on!
I'm terrified to take her to the vet incase she doesn't come home as I've been told she is at the top end of the average lifespan of a bully. I have had her for 5 years, after taking her in from a family who couldn't give her the attention she required - she is my baby and I am so worried I'm going to lose her.

Hello there Lynne. I have a senior girl that was a rescue (ex breeder girl) who also have incontinent problems. There were at night too when we first got her and then just random (if she had to go she had to go and there was no warning). My cousin's old senior girl who was nearly 14 I think and passed last hear had been on a prescription called Proin. It's for incontinent pets. Sally got on it right away and while she'll still have an occasional mishap due to us not paying attention, Proin has made a 100%+ difference for her. It's a chewable tablet but Sally prefers hers with a bit of peanut butter. See if you can get her on it. She may still have issues but I bet you'll see a drastic difference. What it does is tightens up the bladder control as I understand it.

Hope that helps a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Poor baby!

The Belly Band that I make is for boy dogs. It is easier on them because their pee comes out towards the middle of their bellies so you can wrap the band around their bellies to catch it. Unfortunately, girl dogs pee right between their legs so you can't just wrap a Belly Band around it, so you'll have to make the nappies that goes around their legs and through their tails.

It's basically the same as the boy one except that instead of going around the belly, it goes front to back with a hole in the middle for the tail and then you'll need a band that will have the velcro that goes around the belly.

Like this:
lily-ww-diapers.jpg

OH I like that style of the belly band.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.