Leash training

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
How did you guys go about it. Ace finally is comfortable with his collar. When I put the leash, all he wants to do is bite it, lol. He won't budge..:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Dually will only walk on a leash if we take Daisy (boxer) with us and she has to be in front of him otherwise he will put on the brakes and then turn in the other direction!!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
IMHO, I would use a harness for walks... These guys have tricky necks :)

Other then that i cant help... My puppy makes it about 1/2 back from the mailbox every day before he makes me carry him home. I'm not sure who is training who!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use a harness for walks. Harlea took to the leash right away. Now that doesn't mean she doesn't try to eat it from time to time. Most of the time she doesn't pull and just walks next to me, but when she does start to pull I tell her no pull and pull her back to my side and stop moving until she relaxes and walks without pulling.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How did you guys go about it. Ace finally is comfortable with his collar. When I put the leash, all he wants to do is bite it, lol. He won't budge..:)

The best way I found is to use treats, get him to focus on you and give him treats while you walk him. He'll get the hang of it.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I use one of those retractable leashes. She did try and bite it when she was a puppy but she grew out of it... i'm sure Ace will too. Once he gets used to it he won't care about it.. too many fun things to see and distract him outside :)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
The treats are a great idea.. You want to make 'walkies' a fun thing!

Gratuitous photo of trying to train Kevin to walk with a leash..
kevin-walk3.jpg

(That's Kevin's "Im having fun!" face.. it looks a lot like his.. "i've got to poop" face)

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
The treats are a great idea.. You want to make 'walkies' a fun thing!

Gratuitous photo of trying to train Kevin to walk with a leash..
kevin-walk3.jpg

(That's Kevin's "Im having fun!" face.. it looks a lot like his.. "i've got to poop" face)
LOL The Lost!

Thank you guys for the comments/tips. A cold front just came in and it will be wet weather for us for a few days so I won't be able to do the outdoor thing. Will def get him a harness and practice indoors with a bunch of his peanut butter treats. Gotta google Batman Harness, lol.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
We had to start leash walking all over when Winslow was about 6 months, I think.
Short walks, lots of other "train-y" diversions - wait, sit, down, whatever. As the walks get better, then you can make them longer, but there's nothing worse than being a quarter mile from home with a dog on the ground, rolling around with his leash in his mouth (I'm sure there are many worse things, but that's not how I felt while it happened haha.) Good luck! :D

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules

Instead of a collar I would switch to a harness. It's much safer than a collar and it will keep the leash away from him biting. I feel you have better control of your bullie with a harness and it's much better for them health wise.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online