Active puppy

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry is 4 months now. We changed him from royal cainin to orijen food. Holy cow what a difference. He went from a lazy puppy to a crazy puppy. Before he would play for a few minutes then get worn out and sleep. Now he can go all day almost. He is a totally different I can't even keep him out of stuff. He also acts like he's hungry more. We feed him significantly less food. Will he get used to the smaller amount and calm down? I can't keep him away from the bird cages. He will eat anything they throw out. Thankfully they eat crazy healthy. Fruit, veggies, sprouts, etc. However, Henry will lap up a pile of bird poo so fast you wouldn't believe it. Normal? Or not so much?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I've never heard of a puppy getting crazier over food, but maybe he's more satisfied?!! LOL Puppy madness is very common in these guys… If you are following the directions on the bag, then his food intake should be right… you can also monitor him by seeing if his poop is solid, NOT like soft-serve. Fruits, veggies, and grain-free treats are great ways to keep him full. My Bella used to LOVE birds, she also swallowed a baby bird alive so YES we had a bird issue w/her… LOL I would say it is extremely normal for Henry to eat bird poop. Good luck and keep us posted...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lower quality food like RC tend to have a lot of fillers that can basically weight your pup down so switching to a higher quality food like you did will dramatically reduce those fillers as it is giving your pup more of what they need and less crap. As for acting hungry.... Welcome to the world of bullies as they will eat all day long if you let them. Are you free feeding or do you have a set schedule for meals? Also as [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said healthy treats like fruits and frozen veggies go a long way as well.

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
I wouldn't be alarmed about poop eating. I'm glad you got him better food. It's so important.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Henry is 4 months now. We changed him from royal cainin to orijen food. Holy cow what a difference. He went from a lazy puppy to a crazy puppy. Before he would play for a few minutes then get worn out and sleep. Now he can go all day almost. He is a totally different I can't even keep him out of stuff. He also acts like he's hungry more. We feed him significantly less food. Will he get used to the smaller amount and calm down? I can't keep him away from the bird cages. He will eat anything they throw out. Thankfully they eat crazy healthy. Fruit, veggies, sprouts, etc. However, Henry will lap up a pile of bird poo so fast you wouldn't believe it. Normal? Or not so much?

The lazy puppy to crazy puppy probably has nothing to do with the food. I'm betting it's just the age.

Regarding him being hungry. When you say you "feed him significantly less food", what does that mean? How much are you feeding total per day? Is the Orijen a puppy formula? At 4 months, they need extra fat for growth. A puppy formula
provides this.

Bulldogs always act hungry, but you need to make sure you're feeding him enough so he's not.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are feeding him on a schedule and following the guidelines on the food. It is really like we have different pup. He is so funny. ddnene I would love to hear the baby bird story sometime. I'll try more veggies. Thanks everyone!

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The orijen is the puppy formula. In regards to feeding him less, the RC food guidelines vs the orijen is what I meant. Lesser quality food was 4 cups food per day and higher quality food is 2 cups per day.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Puppy stage plus quality food equals hyperactivity! Lol...Ace can eat all day long! So totally normal in my opinion that they act like they are food deprived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The orijen is the puppy formula. In regards to feeding him less, the RC food guidelines vs the orijen is what I meant. Lesser quality food was 4 cups food per day and higher quality food is 2 cups per day.

Great :thumb3:

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Henry is a cutey!!! When I got Bocephus switched over from Iams that the breeder was feeding him to I and Love and You Nude food, his energy level also went up significantly. He is 4 1/2 months now and is just starting to get his "big boy teeth" I think that's made a world of difference too, his mouth doesn't hurt him as much. Or at least it doesn't seem to.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Your high-energy-Henry is a total doll! He's a growing boy and is very active, so yes, he will be very hungry A LOT! good choice on the new food for him. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of Henry soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.