Food?

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
Well who started feeding him kibbles n bits (the breeder)? How old is he? That sounds very strange that he will not take to any other food (?) :ponder:

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Molly (2 years old) is the same way.. We struggle to put any weight on her.. She just doesn't like to eat.

We had to find the food that she dis-liked the least (Merrick Grain Free Texas Beef & Sweet Potato) then put an egg on the top it. The egg has to be scrambled and microwaved for 30 seconds exactly.. 1/2 cooked.. 1/2 runny (did i mention she is picky?). However, if its to her satisfaction she'll eat it...

I would try to stick with one food for a while... and find the 'topping' he'll eat.

These damn dogs can be a struggle... but worth it :)

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
Btw.... I always feed him 1 raw peice of hamburger meat a day

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
I mix the hamburger in with his kibble every night..... And I got him from a friend that got him from the pound about a month later....and I took him to vet when I first got him for a check up, then I took him to get X-rays of his stomach because he got access to trash and I found garbage and rocks etc in his stool, then I took him for this reason about 3 days ago and all the vet said was that he is picky and just feed him what he likes...and the previous owner fed him dog chow(or puppy chow not exactly sure)....but he likes kibbles n bits and dog chow and that's all

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Since he doesn't have a medical problem, like someone else said, pick a good kibble, use a topper and just leave the food out. When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. I have yet to hear of a healthy bullie starving themselves when food's available. :)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack is resistant to change sometimes, but eventually his tummy wins and his stubborness fades. He actually refused his food this morning because he wanted more water. So he will get a little extra in his bowl for dinner tonight i guess.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thing is, a og will eventually eat when they are hungry... pick a food and stay with it. Place the bowl down and leve it for 20 mins at a time. also, if I remember, you obtained him from another home, right? he may not be settled in yet and still a little nervous.

This is great advice that you should try, the power of hunger will overcome his finickiness.

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
How long does it take a dog to become comfortable in a new place

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
I've found out from my vet that if I feed him cheap food that he likes but add raw meat to his food than he will eat it more and it will be just as good as normal expensive food

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't agree with what the vet suggested, because the cheap, crappy food has many ingredients that are inferior such as the protein sources come from terrible places such as meat that is no longer safe for human consumption is used, road kill, euthanized and sick animals from zoos, circuses, vets, etc. also these foods have many additives and preservatives that are harmful to dogs, and will cause diseases such as cancers, later on, plus they will more than likely cause many issues such as allergies and skin problem. Adding raw meat or healthy vegetables isn't going to change or improve the bad ingredients in the cheap foods. You are better off to find a high quality healthy food, stick with it, he will eventually eat it, he won't starve himself, and add healthy toppers like veggies, broth, yogurt, eggs, etc. you can also give him healthy treats like cut up apples, strawberries, banana, watermelon, blueberries, cheese strings, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, cooked oatmeal, salmon oil, and apple cider vinegar.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I've found out from my vet that if I feed him cheap food that he likes but add raw meat to his food than he will eat it more and it will be just as good as normal expensive food

This is not a good idea.

Raw meat and kibbles are processed differently by the dog's digestive tract. Raw meat gets an acid bath and metabolized immediately. Kibbles get to sit for a while because it uses different enzymes to digest. But, you mix them together in one meal, the dog's digestive system will process the meat like kibbles and let it sit... with raw meat comes the ability to get rancid quick and raw meat has a high bacterial load - which when sitting longer in a dog's stomach gives it time to raise families and build condos especially since there's the carbs and sugars from the kibbles that is up on the buffet line....

If you have to feed raw meat and kibbles for some reason - then seperate the two. Feed the raw meat, let it digest and metabolize and give the stomach rest, then you can feed kibble - let that digest and metabolize and give the stomach rest - then you can fed raw again. So you would want at least 12 hours between the two.

But, it's better if you just don't even mix the two. Feed raw or feed kibble. A lot less confusing for your dog's gut and for you too.

And besides, adding raw meat to low quality kibble does not make kibble good quality. You're still loading your dog with a high carbs and food that has low bio-availability. Meaning - a lot of the low quality stuff ends up going out the dog's butt. Waste of money.

Last edited:

chadwick333

Feb 6, 2014
I feed my dog Royal Canine made specifically for English Bulldogs and sometimes sprinkle some cheese on it and he usually scarfs it down. I've gone through quite a few brands of dog food as well and he seems to absolutely love this brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
My boy won't eat!! I tried all the top brands blue,totw,merrick, etc......all he likes is dog chow and kibbles n bits!!!!! And I don't wanna feed unhealthy!!!!

I switched Hercules to Fromm dog food and he automatically went for it. He used to be on RC and when I first put it down he was shy but came to but first time Fromm, loved it. But you've got some really good advice from owner here. Try feeding your bullie the new food by hand and seeing how he responds to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.