Food?

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
My boy won't eat!! I tried all the top brands blue,totw,merrick, etc......all he likes is dog chow and kibbles n bits!!!!! And I don't wanna feed unhealthy!!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Try topping his food off with wet stuff from a can of whatever it is you're feeding. For example - if you're feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibbles, then take a Wilderness canned version and top off his kibbles with a bit of the canned stuff. You don't need much, just mix it in with the kibbles.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
From what I have read about cheap dog food, they sprayed with unhealthy animals fats so that your pet would look them.
I am curious. Did u tried switching slowly to the new food? Like 75% first and so on.

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
Man I've put all kinds of mixes in it ... I've even tried peanut butter.....and yes when I first got him he was on dog chow then I slowly tried to switch him to a lot of brands and put a lot of mixes and he shot them all down

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You could try to add some warm water or warm chicken broth? Well that is unless he's allergic to chicken, try the beef broth?!!

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
Lol I swear I've tried chicken broth,beef broth, heck I even found shrimp broth( I live in Florida)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… have you tried giving him a bland diet of rice and chicken? Or some people use ground beef/sirloin? Our pet stores also carry the fresh patties, and I have used them on occasions… I'm going to tag some members that may be able to help out. Have you talked to your vet about this?!! Just wondering if something is going on besides bully stubbornness… LOL

I forgot to ask… is this a puppy or an older dog? Rescue?!!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Man I've put all kinds of mixes in it ... I've even tried peanut butter.....and yes when I first got him he was on dog chow then I slowly tried to switch him to a lot of brands and put a lot of mixes and he shot them all down

Thing is, a og will eventually eat when they are hungry... pick a food and stay with it. Place the bowl down and leve it for 20 mins at a time. also, if I remember, you obtained him from another home, right? he may not be settled in yet and still a little nervous.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How old is he? When did you get him? When we first got Blue, he wouldn't eat either. Had to hand feed him for a looong time.

If you've tried everything, toppers, mixers, dry kibble, wet food and nothing works, then maybe he has an exquisite palate, that requires a more refined dining experience? :tongue: How 'bout Raw or home cooking?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It is very unusual for a healthy bulldog to not want to eat! It sounds like he needs to be taken to your veterinarian for a check up-there could be a problem. Especially if it is a pup! Unless, you have fed him table food, too many treats, or scraps. If mine refused one meal...MAYBE two-they would be right to the Vet. I know an "only dog" can be alot pickier-but he still should want to eat-even if he "picks".

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it looks like you have already gotten great advice and suggestions from above members, all the same things I would have suggested, and it sounds like you've tried everything as well. I also agree with Tracey that it would be a food idea to see the vet and see if there is a medical issue or something else going on that would cause him not to want to eat. If nothing is causing this, then I would just pick one of the high quality foods, and just keep putting it out until he eats it, he will eventually get hungry, and won't starve himself. You can still add some of the extras like warm water, broth, plain yogurt, green beans, or omega oils like salmon oil or coconut oil. Good luck, and please keep us posted on how he's doing.

OP
B

billneed

Jan 26, 2014
I got him from a friend from a pound ... He's like 12 to 18 months is what my vet said... And I've had him sinse December 23

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am assuming that he has been wormed-stools checked for types of worms, physical exam, blood work, etc? It worries me because it is just not normal for a healthy dog not to want to eat-especially when you have tried tempting things. I would have him checked by vet. AND dog pound(not rescue) dogs will usually eat anything!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.