Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food?

I don't agree with what the vet suggested, because the cheap, crappy food has many ingredients that are inferior such as the protein sources come from terrible places such as meat that is no longer safe for human consumption is used, road kill, euthanized and sick animals from zoos, circuses, vets, etc. also these foods have many additives and preservatives that are harmful to dogs, and will cause diseases such as cancers, later on, plus they will more than likely cause many issues such as allergies and skin problem. Adding raw meat or healthy vegetables isn't going to change or improve the bad ingredients in the cheap foods. You are better off to find a high quality healthy food, stick with it, he will eventually eat it, he won't starve himself, and add healthy toppers like veggies, broth, yogurt, eggs, etc. you can also give him healthy treats like cut up apples, strawberries, banana, watermelon, blueberries, cheese strings, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, cooked oatmeal, salmon oil, and apple cider vinegar.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by billneed View Post
    How long does it take a dog to become comfortable in a new place
    two weeks to a month, at the least.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I've had him sinse dec23

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I've found out from my vet that if I feed him cheap food that he likes but add raw meat to his food than he will eat it more and it will be just as good as normal expensive food
    This is not a good idea.

Raw meat and kibbles are processed differently by the dog's digestive tract. Raw meat gets an acid bath and metabolized immediately. Kibbles get to sit for a while because it uses different enzymes to digest. But, you mix them together in one meal, the dog's digestive system will process the meat like kibbles and let it sit... with raw meat comes the ability to get rancid quick and raw meat has a high bacterial load - which when sitting longer in a dog's stomach gives it time to raise families and build condos especially since there's the carbs and sugars from the kibbles that is up on the buffet line....

If you have to feed raw meat and kibbles for some reason - then seperate the two. Feed the raw meat, let it digest and metabolize and give the stomach rest, then you can feed kibble - let that digest and metabolize and give the stomach rest - then you can fed raw again. So you would want at least 12 hours between the two.

But, it's better if you just don't even mix the two. Feed raw or feed kibble. A lot less confusing for your dog's gut and for you too.

And besides, adding raw meat to low quality kibble does not make kibble good quality. You're still loading your dog with a high carbs and food that has low bio-availability. Meaning - a lot of the low quality stuff ends up going out the dog's butt. Waste of money.
    Last edited by anatess; 02-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I feed my dog Royal Canine made specifically for English Bulldogs and sometimes sprinkle some cheese on it and he usually scarfs it down. I've gone through quite a few brands of dog food as well and he seems to absolutely love this brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    raechel
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hercules
    Likes (Received)

My boy won't eat!! I tried all the top brands blue,totw,merrick, etc......all he likes is dog chow and kibbles n bits!!!!! And I don't wanna feed unhealthy!!!!
    I switched Hercules to Fromm dog food and he automatically went for it. He used to be on RC and when I first put it down he was shy but came to but first time Fromm, loved it. But you've got some really good advice from owner here. Try feeding your bullie the new food by hand and seeing how he responds to it.

There is nothing that can compare to a bullies love <3

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick333 View Post
    I feed my dog Royal Canine made specifically for English Bulldogs and sometimes sprinkle some cheese on it and he usually scarfs it down. I've gone through quite a few brands of dog food as well and he seems to absolutely love this brand.

I used to think like this as well but as my bully knowledge has grown I now know this is false. There is no correlation between what a bully will eat and what is good for them. Kinda like us humans and junk food.

BTW, welcome to EBN

How much money would it cost to put him on a raw food diet?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Food?

My boys are both approx 50 lbs and they eat roughly 1 lb of food per day. On average, we spend $35 to $40 monthly for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Charley didn't care for Blue Buffalo and what ever it was I bought before that. We thought he was picky. We had to put warm water or broth on his food. Then we changed to acana lamb and apple. He loved this food immediately! Quality food and apparently quite tasty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads