Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food?

Hi, it looks like you have already gotten great advice and suggestions from above members, all the same things I would have suggested, and it sounds like you've tried everything as well. I also agree with Tracey that it would be a food idea to see the vet and see if there is a medical issue or something else going on that would cause him not to want to eat. If nothing is causing this, then I would just pick one of the high quality foods, and just keep putting it out until he eats it, he will eventually get hungry, and won't starve himself. You can still add some of the extras like warm water, broth, plain yogurt, green beans, or omega oils like salmon oil or coconut oil. Good luck, and please keep us posted on how he's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I got him from a friend from a pound ... He's like 12 to 18 months is what my vet said... And I've had him sinse December 23

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am assuming that he has been wormed-stools checked for types of worms, physical exam, blood work, etc? It worries me because it is just not normal for a healthy dog not to want to eat-especially when you have tried tempting things. I would have him checked by vet. AND dog pound(not rescue) dogs will usually eat anything!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Angie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Well who started feeding him kibbles n bits (the breeder)? How old is he? That sounds very strange that he will not take to any other food (?)
    Stop by to visit Mr. Beefy on his daily adventures, and watch him grow on FB Mr. #Beefy The life of a English bulldog.....

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

Molly (2 years old) is the same way.. We struggle to put any weight on her.. She just doesn't like to eat.

We had to find the food that she dis-liked the least (Merrick Grain Free Texas Beef & Sweet Potato) then put an egg on the top it. The egg has to be scrambled and microwaved for 30 seconds exactly.. 1/2 cooked.. 1/2 runny (did i mention she is picky?). However, if its to her satisfaction she'll eat it...

I would try to stick with one food for a while... and find the 'topping' he'll eat.

These damn dogs can be a struggle... but worth it

Btw.... I always feed him 1 raw peice of hamburger meat a day

I mix the hamburger in with his kibble every night..... And I got him from a friend that got him from the pound about a month later....and I took him to vet when I first got him for a check up, then I took him to get X-rays of his stomach because he got access to trash and I found garbage and rocks etc in his stool, then I took him for this reason about 3 days ago and all the vet said was that he is picky and just feed him what he likes...and the previous owner fed him dog chow(or puppy chow not exactly sure)....but he likes kibbles n bits and dog chow and that's all

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Since he doesn't have a medical problem, like someone else said, pick a good kibble, use a topper and just leave the food out. When he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. I have yet to hear of a healthy bullie starving themselves when food's available.

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Mack is resistant to change sometimes, but eventually his tummy wins and his stubborness fades. He actually refused his food this morning because he wanted more water. So he will get a little extra in his bowl for dinner tonight i guess.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Thing is, a og will eventually eat when they are hungry... pick a food and stay with it. Place the bowl down and leve it for 20 mins at a time. also, if I remember, you obtained him from another home, right? he may not be settled in yet and still a little nervous.
    This is great advice that you should try, the power of hunger will overcome his finickiness.

How long does it take a dog to become comfortable in a new place

I've found out from my vet that if I feed him cheap food that he likes but add raw meat to his food than he will eat it more and it will be just as good as normal expensive food

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads