Please help!

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi all
i have a 10 month old unneutured male! He has so much energy he is driving us crazy!

my fiancé and I both work so he is alone for 6-7 hrs when we get home we go for a walk and play most of night! Yet at bedtime he is crazy running everywhere being difiant biting etc. we place him in the crate because he chews walls at night or bedroom furniture! Then he cries all night! A few weeks ago he had full run of home during day and was fine at night, we have had to crate him during day because he was destroying walls and doors while alone during day! Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought bulldogs were calm and collected he is CRAZY, and I feel guilty for getting mad and angry but I don't know what to do!
please tell me this is a phase!??

thanks in advance for help!

megan

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Daycare, daycare, daycare. Lol. I don't know what I would have done without it when Tonka was a puppy. He is still a very active bulldog and goes once per week as well as an hour long offleash dog park visit everyday after work and a 30-45 min walk before bed most nights. If he doesnt get this...you notice lol. But if we keep om his schedule (key thing with a bulldog) hes a madman when he should be and sleeps when he should. If you can find a daycare you trust with your bully it is such a great thing for socialization and tiring hom out. Tonka slept for 2 days after each visit when he was little lol. Got up to eat and pee and back to bed.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I agree with [MENTION=4533]TonkaTruck28[/MENTION] daycare daycare! Sounds like is really bored at home! Maybe you can confine him to the kitchen during the day so that he had more room tot roam around.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You can also try a large free standing play pen. We got one with 36 inch sides and a door and that is where we keep Harlea when we aren't home. I have hers set up with her coolaroo bed, water and a bunch of her toys. When we are home I just keep the door open and she goes in and out to snooze or play if she doesn't feel like lounging on the couch. It keeps her safe when we aren't home and it is much bigger than her crate.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion he needs training, mental training or some "nose job". Physical exersice is not as effective as mental training. 1/2 hour training will tire him more than two hours physical training. On top of it as a bonus you will get smarter bully. With only physical training you will get more fit dog who needs more physical training to get tired. Also if you have a place where you can make a trail of some scent for him to follow. On the end of the trail put some real nice reward for him. Nose job is a great way to get rid of excess energy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
In my opinion he needs training, mental training or some "nose job". Physical exersice is not as effective as mental training. 1/2 hour training will tire him more than two hours physical training. On top of it as a bonus you will get smarter bully. With only physical training you will get more fit dog who needs more physical training to get tired. Also if you have a place where you can make a trail of some scent for him to follow. On the end of the trail put some real nice reward for him. Nose job is a great way to get rid of excess energy.

:goodpost:

How do you make a trail for your boys? Just curious… LOL

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I use blood (not my own;) or the water from a can of tuna, or what ever has a strong scent.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Keeping them active and their minds engaged is Half the battle, after all they are perpetual two year olds! On top of the day per week the Tonka goes to daycare, I take him to the dog park every day off leash afterwork for about an hour and take him for a 30-45 min on leash walk before bed. The off leash park really helps get that excess energy out from being cooped up in the house for about 9 hours while I am at work and the night walk helps give him some structure and keeps up his leash skills. Tonkaknows his routine, he sleeps all day while I am at work and he knows he gets to be a mad man at the dog park and we start to wind down on the walk before bed....same everyday. Routine is HUGE for bulldogs. If I get out of routine he will start to act up. Tonka just turned two and I consider him to be a quite active bulldog. The people at his daycare have said they have never seen a bulldog that literally doesn't stop from the moment he gets there. Which would be why he crashes as soon as he gets in the car...lol. Works for me. He was moved to the large dog play group at 7months due to his constant and rough playstyle. But as with all bullies you have to gauge and limit their activity based on the individual pup. Tonka is big, about 65 lbs and fairly tall, he has a big of a longer nose and does not snort or have any breathing issues whatsoever so playing hard isn't a huge deal for him. I cannot stress how important it is to know and be comfortable with your daycare staff or anyone looking after your dog, to know their limits and to stop them when it could be dangerous to their health, because they will go and go and go! Aaaaanyways I'll stop talking now....lol good luck!!

9ujyna4u.jpg

This is Tonka at daycare with his best friend Sadie, the Irish Wolfhound! Lol

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I trained my bulldog, Angus, to catch frisbees. I can be sitting in the backyard or sitting on the couch watching TV and I just throw that frisbee over and over. He runs after it and gives the frisbee back to me. When indoors, I use the flappy frisbee made of foam and fabric and throw the thing up the stairs or hide it for him to find. It wears him out pretty good.

Also.... get him a sister to badger. :) Angus plays with Gizmo (a tiny bichon). Gizmo does this thing called the "bichon buzz" and runs very very fast around and around with Angus chasing him. They LOVE that game. Gizmo would be careening down the corner and Angus would run straight into the wall. Hah hah. I know, I know... we put an ottoman right there so he hits the foam instead of the wall...

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I thought bulldogs were calm and collected he is CRAZY

He sounds normal to me. He's still a baby.. he should calm down over time.. but right now you have a normal bulldog puppy.

+1 to the training. Exercising his mind is just as important as exercising his body.

Dogs love consistency.. Over time he'll get used to the routine of your life and he should settle down. Training, love, patience, consistency is all it takes.

oh... and i'd get him a 2nd bulldog buddy. Your house is already getting destroyed... getting him a playmate will at least make sure he's not lonely while your gone :)

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
also, is there a reason he isn't yet neutered? That could help curb the craziness, along with training and perhaps some daycare as well!! :)

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Thanks for all the replies!
1. No doggy daycare where I live so that's out the window!
2. Also no leash park, well there is one but it's awful and no one is there! I do the walks but with weather lately it's blizzards so I'm hoping when weather is better walks can be more consistent
3. He is scheduled to be neutered Feb 13, couldnt do it sooner my pug was sick with cancer and she recently passed away so those expenses out weight neuture at the time

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
2. Also no leash park, well there is one but it's awful and no one is there! I do the walks but with weather lately it's blizzards so I'm hoping when weather is better walks can be more consistent
3. He is scheduled to be neutered Feb 13, couldnt do it sooner my pug was sick with cancer and she recently passed away so those expenses out weight neuture at the time

Sorry about your Pug, I love Pugs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So sorry for the loss of you Pug! Have you tried giving him bones or antlers to help with times you are not at home? Marrow bones are great, they are so focused on them they tire themseleves out

nadine

Nov 27, 2013
lol my 21 month old male is being annoying at night to but I think its because my 5 1/2 month old bitch might be coming into heat shes getting spayed in 2 weeks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online