brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So Brutus has been on Merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato for 6mos and all of a sudden like within the last week he has 3 interdigital cysts and now I think he has an ear infection. Could this be food related and should I try another food?? I'm confused. He likes the food but he is having these conditions pop up all of a sudden. Can a food allergy show up 6mos in?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, they can show up at any time... lovely isn't it. How old is he now?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yep. My vet said they can develop allergies to a food after a while. Hence why I wanna do raw. Thinking the less processed and less ingredients the food has, the more our bullies can tolerate it.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ugh! I guess I will try another food. Maybe Fromm? I'm not sure they sell it in my area though, LI? I guess I will google it. It's a shame though cuz I like the food and Frankie is doing well on it, but he will get switched as well. I can't buy all different foods.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe poor Brutus! Interdigital cysts suck! Has he ever had them before? I would not change foods just yet if he's done well on it, he may have had a yeast or bacterial bloom from a slight shock to his immune system. If it continues to be a problem then a food switch may be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok I found a store right in my town that carries Fromm!! Yay! Now whick do you recommend? The store guy said I should go with salmon if he is having an allergy. He has salmon tunalini which is grain free. or he has pork and peas, but i'm not sure if that is grain free. Help my Fromm peeps.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said, it could just be yeast, or a bacterial infection. Could also be an ingrown hair. See if you can get rid of the cyst before changing foods. I would think there would be other symptoms as well? But I'm not a pro at this..

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He has never had cysts before and I think he also has an ear infection which he has never had. If you guys think I should wait I will. It would be better for them an easier for me not to switch. The vet is coming tomorrow but he thinks it is ok to feed them Iams so I will not discuss food choices with him. He is coming to look at Brutys ear. My poor baby has been so grumpy.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
See what the vet says about his ear tomorrow.

I honestly don't know if I would do the switch just yet. Would first try to get it under control. It could be environmental right now. The weather's crazy. The snow/salt could of done a number on his paws and ears.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's true. I guess you might have noticed I tend to overreact when it comes to my babies :ashamed:

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I hope Brutus gets better soon!!!!!!!!! Let us know how he is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions