Signs of Food Allergies

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hello,
I have never had a dog with allergies, and I guess I still do not know if I do. I wanted to know what some common symptons of a dog having food allergies. Spikes eyes constantly water, red bumps on his chin and always has evening farts, a handful, but everyday and smell horrendous. I am considering switching foods (currently on fromms pork n peas) but before I go down this road I wanted to make sure these in fact could be allergic reactions to his food. Thanks for the help! Oh and any other food recommendations would be much obliged.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Signs ofmFood Allergies

Does sound like the food may not agree with him.... how old is Spike and what other Fromm flavors have you tried, if any?

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

Does sound like the food may not agree with him.... how old is Spike and what other Fromm flavors have you tried, if any?

I had him on Beef Fritatta, but honestly I am not 100% sure why I switched him to pork and peas, probably just for the change. He is 7mo. old. He has a white face, but it seems like his skin is pink around his muzzle a lot, and like I said has the red bumps on the chin that just dont go away and I use the duoxo pads 2x/day. always tearing when awake, and lately I notied a little hardened gunk in the corner of his nose/eye area. Nothing colored, just like eye gunk.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Maybe good back to hte Beef and see if there is any improvement. Could also be environmental, have you tried any Benedryl with him?

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

Maybe good back to hte Beef and see if there is any improvement. Could also be environmental, have you tried any Benedryl with him?

I have not yet because he isnt overly itching and I was hoping to find a food that may eliminate these symptoms. Though I forgot to mention too that his eyes are not a nice pure white, they have a pinkish color to them most of the time too. I was also thinking of getting an allergy test done, but we'll see.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Could be environmental. The bumps on the chin could be from moisture after drinking as well. Do you use stainless steel or ceramic bowls for food and water? Also, with white faced bullies so pink in the face is fine but if it is more of a red color then you are looking at allergies.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

Could be environmental. The bumps on the chin could be from moisture after drinking as well. Do you use stainless steel or ceramic bowls for food and water? Also, with white faced bullies so pink in the face is fine but if it is more of a red color then you are looking at allergies.

Stainless steel bowls, and we typically wipe his chin after he drinks water. I am going to give the food switch a try and start filtering a new food today, not sure which one yet but likely one of the 5-6 star recommended brands and pick an ingredient without pork and see how that works! needle in a haystack approach. I am looking at the Natures Variety Instinct line, but at 35% protein do you think thats a little too high. He is an inside dog for the most part, with a few walks a day.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

Ok so I have just purched Acana Regional Grasslands food for Spike in an attempt to weed out some ingredients (pork in particular) to see if they help the symptoms he has now. Wish us luck

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Ok so I have just purched Acana Regional Grasslands food for Spike in an attempt to weed out some ingredients (pork in particular) to see if they help the symptoms he has now. Wish us luck

Fingers and paws crossed..... I also tagged a couple of members to help you with any additional advice.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

[MENTION=10124]SpikeS[/MENTION]

Blue also had issues with Pork and Peas so we switched him to Salmon Tunalini. He did fine on that for awhile, but now we're having the same problems. So I'm not totally convinced it was the Pork. It could of also been the Peas. It could also be like my vet says, they just develop allergies to a particular protein after awhile. Apparently this is common with dogs. Or, it could also be environmental.

I wouldn't go with the food you chose for a few reasons. First being is because it has Peas listed as an ingredient. The fact that it's the 5th ingredient doesn't change my mind since when trying to figure out what's causing the allergies, I'd skip anything that could be the cause. Especially since it's also in the food you're changing from. Acana Grasslands also contains Potatoes. Potato is another "common" filler that some bulldogs have a reaction to. So yea, not a food I'd go with.

If you think you only switched him to the Pork and Peas for the change, I'd probably go back to the Beef Frittata. No reason to try other things if he was doing fine on it.

Last edited:
OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike

@SpikeS

Blue also had issues with Pork and Peas so we switched him to Salmon Tunalini. He did fine on that for awhile, but now we're having the same problems. So I'm not totally convinced it was the Pork. It could of also been the Peas. It could also be like my vet says, they just develop allergies to a particular protein after awhile. Apparently this is common with dogs. Or, it could also be environmental.

I wouldn't go with the food you chose for a few reasons. First being is because it has Peas listed as an ingredient. The fact that it's the 5th ingredient doesn't change my mind since when trying to figure out what's causing the allergies, I'd skip anything that could be the cause. Especially since it's also in the food you're changing from. Acana Grasslands also contains Potatoes. Potato is another "common" filler that some bulldogs have a reaction to. So yea, not a food I'd go with.

If you think you only switched him to the Pork and Peas for the change, I'd probably go back to the Beef Frittata. No reason to try other things if he was doing fine on it.

Thanks for the insight! My girlfriend said that on the Beef Fritatta he had gotten a small rash on his belly and between his legs and the excessive tearing was the same (though teething was in progress as well.) If he does not show any improvement after a while on this brand, I can likely try a brand without peas as you mentioned. Thanks for the help I will surely give an update after a few weeks to see if the symptoms I listed below change/worsen/disappear

-Watering Eyes
-Pinkish Eyes
-Red bumps on chin
-Putrid afternoon farts
-Gunk under eyes

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Chin acne and tearing is common in his age, tearing could be from teething as his skull is going to really start changing too. Chin acne is usually a form of teenage acne, drying face often and cleaning bowls as much as possible should help. I would not necessarily change foods or maybe go back to beef frittata since he did well on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

I know how difficult this is, hoping the new food works. Good luck!!

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok so it has been about 5 days and now he is totally off Fromms and on the Acana Grasslands. I noticed this morning his eyes were very wet, to the point of being wet above his nose and between his eyes. I also noticed that he was losing some fur in this area as well and had some eye gunk (clear) below his eyes. If I rub my finger between his eyes, it is covered in little furs. I also noticed his eyes are red/pink. How long does it typically take for the new food to take effect.

spikje.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.