S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Quick Update:

- Previous watering eyes remain the same but honestly slightly less and does not have the brown color to the tears (could also be do diligent cleaning)
- Pinkish eyes are improving, only get pink color when playing a lot now and not after eating
- Redness on chin and bumps on chin are almost gone, chin is getting the nice white look back (could be to using the duoxo pads still)
- Putrid afternoon farts.... remain unfortunately but at times are much less frequent, give him a spoonful of yogurt to help
- Gunk under eyes is gone

New side effects
- Poop definitely smells worse, but always hard as a brick

Side Note: While on both foods now he has experienced a random time when he licks a spot on the couch or his bed, and it smells! It reminds me of battery acid! Anyone else experience this? I am thinking it may be to his teeth continuing to grow out and perhaps the smell coming from his gums?

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Seems like you have gotten some pretty good advices already. I just want to one more thing. Check the colour of his gum. Is it really red or normal pink? That is another sign of allergy too. Tip from the Vet. Good luck on finding the right food. It has always been a challenge for everyone. What one might work for one, might not necessary work for others. We just have to remember to be patience.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have a white EB female, her name is Blossom, and she has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn, and grains.
I posted this thread a while back, and was wondering if White EB were prone to more allergies and sensitive skin, or whether it was because they are white in colour so their pink skin shows more?

Hi, everyone, I was wondering if the colour of your dog makes a difference in allergies? Are white furred dogs more sensitive or susceptible to allergies or do allergies just up show more on their skin because they are white, and tend to have more pinkish skin? My female Blossom is all white, except for some brown markings on her back, her face is all white, and so far we have found out she doesn't tolerate chicken, salmon, grains and corn, she will get a pink face and chin, pink warm ears, and I have to give her Benadryl. Dozer doesn't seem to have any skin issues, he does sometimes get runny eyes, just clear though, no eye boogies or goop, just clear, sometimes just wet in the corners of his eyes, and after he plays really hard with Blossom, or if he gets really excited, especially with the warmer weather, the whites of his eyes get red, like they are bloodshot, but as soon As he settles down, they go back to normal. Is this an allergy reaction or is it normal after playing?

0 Comment(s)

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok quick update, things are looking good. A little over two weeks into feeding him the Acana Grasslands. His eyes look a lot better, more white showing, still watering when he chews his toys, but overall definetly improved and the dog walker even commented on it. His chin acne is gone, maybe a small pimple here and there. Still no gunk in tears.

Though, and this is noticable, his farts are horrendous at times. Like eye watering, and it ONLY happens at night after his afternoon meal. I give him yogurt after his meal, but I am going to start giving it to him with his meal. He farted on Fromms, but not this much and 100% less stinky!

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok new update on the never ending watery eyes and now heavy stains. Went to the vet and they determined both of his tear ducts are blocked which is causing the excessive tearing on his face. Also after switching him to Natures Variety Instinct Salmon, I noticed his tearing intensified as well as staining. I have now stopped giving him salmon oil as well as switched him back to the Natures Variety Instinct beef and lamb as well as using eye cream the vet have me to use for about a week.

I am am going to see how this goes and eventually switch him over to Earthborn Holistic Meadowfeast to try that next or perhaps back to Fromms pork and peas

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok new update on the never ending watery eyes and now heavy stains. Went to the vet and they determined both of his tear ducts are blocked which is causing the excessive tearing on his face. Also after switching him to Natures Variety Instinct Salmon, I noticed his tearing intensified as well as staining. I have now stopped giving him salmon oil as well as switched him back to the Natures Variety Instinct beef and lamb as well as using eye cream the vet have me to use for about a week.

I am am going to see how this goes and eventually switch him over to Earthborn Holistic Meadowfeast to try that next or perhaps back to Fromms pork and peas

Sorry he's going though all of this and I wish nothing but the best in finding him the right food.

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
My Yogi had a bad rash and bumps on his head; almost looked like acne. Once we switched to a grain free food and started using a special shampoo that was prescribed by his vet all symptoms subsided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I forgot to mention on the NVI Salmon he was licking his front two paws quite a bit, to the point they were always wet. Now that he is back to NVI beef and lamb, it looks as though his muzzle is slowly getting whiter, BUT.... I have noticed he is getting that brown staining underneath his paws between his pads. Also, the staining under his eyes remains dark brown.

I have ordered the earthborn holistic meadowfeast and will give that a try. I notice he is very gassy on NVI, I am thinking maybe it could be allergies or perhaps the high protein content.

Has anyone had experience with blocked tear ducts? I am giving him some eye cream now for another 7 days or so, but I dont really see any improvements in less tearing (maybe slightly). Will they correct themselves as his head grows? He is only 8 months right now

Thanks for the help I will post again after a couple weeks on the meadowfeast.

Current issues:
- Bad tear staining (face & paws)
- Gassy
- Heavy tearing
- slight itching when on beef & lamb

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I forgot to mention on the NVI Salmon he was licking his front two paws quite a bit, to the point they were always wet. Now that he is back to NVI beef and lamb, it looks as though his muzzle is slowly getting whiter, BUT.... I have noticed he is getting that brown staining underneath his paws between his pads. Also, the staining under his eyes remains dark brown.

I have ordered the earthborn holistic meadowfeast and will give that a try. I notice he is very gassy on NVI, I am thinking maybe it could be allergies or perhaps the high protein content.

Has anyone had experience with blocked tear ducts? I am giving him some eye cream now for another 7 days or so, but I dont really see any improvements in less tearing (maybe slightly). Will they correct themselves as his head grows? He is only 8 months right now

Thanks for the help I will post again after a couple weeks on the meadowfeast.

Current issues:
- Bad tear staining (face & paws)
- Gassy
- Heavy tearing
- slight itching when on beef & lamb

Good luck on the Earthborn.... I agree it is an allergy of some type. Banks is allegorical to chicken and has sensitivity to salmon and it shows in her paws first with the salmon. Also the tearing could be from environmental allergies... Pollen, grass, etc

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Ok so here is an update as well as some new information I found today. The Earthborn is making his face whiter and the stains are slowly disappearing... Great news. The farts have also decreased greatly. Now, after seeing him squinting like something was in his eye, I took a look and on the inside of his right eye in the crease, there are hairs there and are probably causing the excessive tearing in that eye. I am going to pluck them tonight when he tires out to see if that helps

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok so here is an update as well as some new information I found today. The Earthborn is making his face whiter and the stains are slowly disappearing... Great news. The farts have also decreased greatly. Now, after seeing him squinting like something was in his eye, I took a look and on the inside of his right eye in the crease, there are hairs there and are probably causing the excessive tearing in that eye. I am going to pluck them tonight when he tires out to see if that helps

Great update, if he is squinting you may want to have his eyes stained. If a hair was irritating him it could create an ulcer. The vets have numbing drops that relax the eye muscles so it would be far easier to have them pluck the lash. :)

So glad the food is helping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.