Who's Vet hates you???

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I actually Love my vet. She loves Vegas...she has his magazine and several of his cards. She emails him (uh...ME) and often calls checking on him. She knows her stuff too. I asked her about coconut oil....she told me she always gets asked about it and she doesn't recommend it. She said...it's an oil and it's solid at room temperature. Guess what happens when you soften it up and feed it to your dog? It hardens up...IN their arteries. (I had already bought a huge thing from Costco!!) She HATES Trifexis. And...if something is wrong with Vegas or O that I can diagnose....she will call a Rx into my pharmacy. If I can't answer her questions (like this last ear infection) she asks to see him and gives me what I need.

OOOOH!!!! I WANT THAT COCONUT OIL! I don't have a Cosco membership. Coconut oil is expensive at the grocery.

It is silly to think that because coconut oil hardens that it would be sitting in your or your dog's arteries... There's such a thing called DIGESTION. Fats don't just pass right through the stomach and into the arteries without a chemical change happening. Bile liquifies the fat and pancreatic juices further breaks it down into fatty acids and cholesterol. It's not your can of coconut oil anymore once it hits your arteries!

I use coconut oil to cook with. Yes, coconut oil is high in saturated fat more so than, say vegetable oil. But, the human body can metabolize coconut oil much more efficiently than vegetable oil because vegetable oil goes through an unnatural chemicalized process for extraction. Coconut oil, like olive oil, is extracted by pressing. But, the amount of sugar/carbs intake the human body gets messes with its proper metabolization of fat because the human body metabolizes the carbs for energy first before using fats, so with the amount of sugar/carbs found in today's average American diet, even coconut oil can be hazardous to your health. Proper balance is key.

Dogs can't metabolize plants, including coconuts, efficiently at all, so fats from plant matter is not good. But, fats from an animal - just fine. (If you notice, animal fat is not liquid. When you cook animal fat, it liquifies then it hardens when it cools. Doesn't matter at all.) Dogs can metabolize animal fat very efficiently. Salmon fat is only necessary because the animals we buy from groceries (or the ones raised with human consumption quality and put into dog food) are not eating natural food. This makes them have skewed omega 3 to 6 ratios. Salmon is naturally opposite in omega 3 to 6 ratio as farm raised land animals so it balances that out. If you find grass-fed beef and free-range chickens (eating a mixture of grains and worms/insects), salmon oil wouldn't be needed.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
As far as my vet. I don't go to him often enough for him to cultivate a dislike to me. I've been averaging less than 2 visits a year with my dogs. He thinks I'm an idiot because I don't give my dogs heartworm meds. But, that goes for everybody, not just my vet... The reptile vet in the same office, though - he loves me. He gets excited when our snakes come in for their yearly visit.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well as most of you know, I'm pretty much DONE w/my vet & the office that he practices in… I like my vet as a person, BUT he's NOT knowledgeable w/bully's, and as far as his bedside manner goes he's an asshole. And of course they are all about their damn meds, ointments, and science diet food!!! Of course now I can add the VOS clinic in Nashville, so that pretty much limits me to who I will take my dogs too. I'm turning into the doggie parent that most vets HATE… LOL :evil:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I like my vet. He is knowledgeable and good with Brutus. He does listen to everything I ask or suggest. Sometimes he will discuss some of my suggestions or theories and other times he will just smile and nod. He loves Brutus and that is what is important.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I like my vet and I think he's ok with me since i spend a ton of money there. I find that more Dr's hate me because my main Dr.- WebMD tell me i'm dying, then my real dr. contradicts WebMd and just tells me I have sinus infections.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard that about coconut oil before, and like Lisa and Carol pointed out the internal body temp would prevent any hardening. I think you would have to feed your bully quite a bit of it for something like that to happen.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sure I have left a trail of pissed of vets behind....

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I work at a medical office, BUT that's not where I get my knowledge from, it's YOU guys!!! I do go armed with info so my vet is very cautious what he says to me, I interrupt or shake my head NO NO NO that's not what EBN says!!! He just let's me get my way with a half wit smile, he has never disagreed with my answers but I am sure I am not on his favorite list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
LOL Chumley's dad. Sometimes we just have to let people think what they want. They are our babies and that's all there is to it. We are just so in tune with our babies that nobody can tell me we don't know what's best for them or when there is something wrong.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I haven't been to our vet enough times for him to hate me... yet haha! June is only almost 8 months old so only a handful of visits. But he was actually impressed with my questions/knowledge when I started taking her as a baby and I told him I learned it all here :)

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
My vet hates me and I hate him..but I stay with him until I can find a better one...
he thinks I over react and I think he's an assshole!

LOL Jim, the bottom line is they are our babies and that's all there is to it. So if vets need to think we are a$$holes, so be it. Nobody knows their bullies better than we do and since they can't speak for themselves, we have to do it for them. Shamrock13 and Hooch

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I absolutely love my Vet!! She is fantastic and always willing to answer any questions I have, doesn't hurt that I used to work with her either!!

I have worked at a Specialty Vet Clinic (which I trusted everyone of the vets there) and then an regular clinic (VCA-Didn't trust most of the vets to do anything more than a vaccine). There was one vet there that quit and opened her own clinic and when she did that I started taking my dogs to her.

Never heard anything like that about coconut oil either. Only heard good things about it and will continue to give it to my dogs because it's made such a difference in their coats.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
I like our vet BUT of course Bella hates her!!! We drive up in the parking lot and she freezes with nothing but fear in her face i hate taking her!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.