Urination Problem

granci

Feb 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stuart
I have an 11 year old English Bull. He is in amazing good health. He has been trained to go outside since he was a pup. He occasionally has had accidents but now it is constantly. He can be standing next to me and just goes. I took in a urine sample a couple of months ago and he did have a UTI. Easily explained issues. Put him on antibiotics and cleared it up. However, he is back to having accidents all the time. The vet ran other blood work and can't find any cause for this. She did suggest the possibility of another very expensive test that MIGHT show something, but doubtful. They do not want to put him on an incontinence medication since they find it not to be effective for males and causes severe side effects. HELP!!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
If its not another UTI and the vet has no concerns it might be something he cant control.. just the same as humans, with age the muscles weaken and loose control over the bladder. Is he incontinent with just urine or double incontinent? Have you thought of Stuart maybe wearing nappies for now? I know it wont resolve the issue but can help with controlling the mess. 11 is a great age for a bully xx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If its not another UTI and the vet has no concerns it might be something he cant control.. just the same as humans, with age the muscles weaken and loose control over the bladder. Is he incontinent with just urine or double incontinent? Have you thought of Stuart maybe wearing nappies for now? I know it wont resolve the issue but can help with controlling the mess. 11 is a great age for a bully xx

I agree with Tasha. Perhaps Stuart is just of an age where things are getting weaker. If he has no UTI, and seems healthy in every other way, it sounds like diapers are the way to go. He has reached a good age, and I,m sure has been a good friend to you so, he deserves some "pamper ing" (couldn't resist.) I am not trying to make light of this-if he has been checked and sure that his UTI has not reoccured, I would get the male diaper for him. He deserves a good life for the rest of his life.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I agree with the above - could be a muscular issue. Him being male is a good thing. It is easy to put diapers on male dogs. I make mine! It's called a Belly Band. I have a bichon that is still not 100% house trained (common in the breed due to their anxiety issues - so they have this extreme need to mark their territory). And it is very easy to make. This is how I make mine:

I take a long piece of denim cloth (sturdy) that can go around his belly plus a few inches and is at least 5 inches wide. I take diaper cloth the same width as the denim (from washable baby diapers) and line the middle of the of the denim where his belly would be. I sew it onto the denim. Then I fold the long edges of the denim by 1 inch and sew/serge leaving about 1/2-3/4" space between the fold and the sew line. If you don't have a serger, fold the edge of the cloth before you sew so you won't have rough cloth edges that could potentially irritate your dog's skin. I then run elastic through the 3/4" space (like a tunnel) by attaching the elastic to a safety pin and running the safety pin through. The elastic has to be the same length of the denim when stretched out. Attach the ends of the of the elastic to the edge of the denim. When you let go of the elastic, the belly band will curl - if it doesn't curl, your elastic is too thin and you'll need a sturdier one. This will help keep the Belly Band in place on the dog. Attach a 2" or 3" wide matching velcro to the ends of the denim to make the closure. That's it! Easy does it. I made 12 of these that I rotate everyday and throw in the wash. And so that the Belly Band can last through more than one pee'ing incident, I line the Band with "wingless" sanitary napkin... :)

Hope this helps!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Great practical $ saving idea [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION].

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Rock on a grandpa bully ....11 wow .... you are so lucky ....We have a 13 year old golden .. he wants out more now too.
we try not to give him too much water after dinner..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.