Head Tremors....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have read enough and KNOW that this can be very common with our bully's. It just seems like Vegas is getting them more often, BUT always an excuse. The very first time Vegas had tremors is when daddy was playing keep away with his favorite stuffie. Second time we were at the vet's office and this dog kept barking at him. The vet actually seen it in person. I know to distract and re-direct his attention, but today he had his 5th episode. I don't care if it's the first or the 5th, I flip out!!! I took Vegas to get his nails dremmeled at Petsmart and when they were done and brought him out to me he started the tremors!! I knelt down and scratched his head and told him what a good boy he is and it stopped.

Seems like every time I take him out he gets the tremors, we have no family here and he is not socialized very much. Do you think I should start exposing him to different situations so that he doesn't get so nervous?? I won't go to dog parks #1 it's to hot here, #2 people don't watch their dogs, Vegas was attacked by a black lab and the owner did nothing about it!! Any suggestions are welcome. I think he just gets very nervous being out of his element.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Did they perhaps do something that scared the crap out of him? You have every right to accompany him back into the room. If they won't do it in the exam room with you....you have the right to observe. The last time Chesty was taken to Petsmart to have his nails done...they put him on a high table and put a noose around his neck. He's never gone back.

Also....one time VegasR was at the Dr and they did a blood draw on his neck. He's had this done several times a year every year of his life. On this particular time....he came back to the front room with a visible cherry eye. They managed to scare him so much that the stress popped his eye out. When I got him home and called to complain, they said to give it a few hours then call back if it hadn't gone down. It did...but the point is....what the heck did they do to him out of my sight?

Give VegasR a huge hug from us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
With Vegas being so OCD it is hard to get him to settle in when out of his element.... not sure there is anything to change or add. Wish i had some suggestions, but I can not think of any to help with the OCD.
All i can say is try to calm yourself and remember there is no pain for him they are just very scary to us

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Kelly, have you thought about using some herbals to help Vegas calm down a little more and feel more relaxed when he's going to undergo potential stressful events? I've read about lavender helping to calm down dogs (as well as humans). You can get some at the health store and spray a little in areas where Vegas sits, like in the car, when you're going to the vet's for example. Or just put some in a cotton ball and carry that with you in your purse and when you take Vegas out have him sniff it.
There's this product called Calm Down that i was looking at and it's made from the "essence of flowers" and safe for pets. It's in liquid form and you give a little to the dog in his drinking water. I know there are other products out there and might be something worth looking into to help Vegas get more relaxed.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
sounds like stress related. Slowly, slowly calmly, open him up to people or calm, older dogs. Walking around different areas is exposure.
As far as having nails done, I used to take mine in and have nails done. Every time, she would shake, yes, nails were short and beautiful. I found out they are more concerned with the owners liking it than the dog. They cut into the nerve. I got clippers and a drill. I do it myself. I never cut into the nerve. My dogs tolerate it well. As far as vet goes, make sure you are with the dog if you are concerned. This is your dog, you make the rules, If they don't work with you, find one who will.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Vegas… Does he like to go on car rides? I know how hot it can get in Florida, I was just thinking that would be a way to get him out of the house. We don't do the dog parks either for the same reasons, but we do have parks here that have trails in the woods… you don't see too many people. Have you ever tried that?!! Poor baby… :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe just take him to Petsmart for pleasure, have him stop by the groomers to say hi and get some loves, and leave. Sorry that's the only idea I have :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.