ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:ROFL: I'm sorry, Tracey, but this is too funny! Whopper Juniors? I'd be mad b/c she didn't bring Whoppers…why only the juniors?! :lmao:

I guess she figured it was better than a Big Mac!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], does this also mean the "Dino Bone" from pet stores is bad for bulldogs? :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh dear, and that's gotta be hard because its your father-in-law. I think a lot of people think they're being kind or nice by sharing human food with a dog. Some people feel sorry for a dog who's begging, and our bullies have the saddest faces and eyes. A lot of people don't understand that many human foods are harmful or toxic to dogs, and that bones are dangerous. Lots of people also,don't understand how sensitive bulldogs are, and what we go through with their allergies, sensitivities, and other issues, or what we go through to keep them healthy, and what we spend on their vet bills. I think a lot of the older generation grew up with dogs who were mostly outside, didn't go to the vet, and were fed table scraps and leftovers, or what ever was left. This was normal in those days.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
yes, that's it!

I think those are okay, they are huge and I doubt they would splinter....but I'm not sure. I think that's weight bearing bone, so maybe a raw feeder can chime in on those. [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've always been a bit sceptic about these smoked bones. They keep longer than fresh bones, but anyway they're processed and can splinter. Big bones like that fresh, are just fine for entertainment and they can't really get anything out of them except from the ends that are cartilage, not bone.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
If its a seven year battle then what you have been doing aint working. Your husband should have a heart to heart talk with his dad and tell him how much it bothers you and please don't do it again

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I think those are okay, they are huge and I doubt they would splinter....but I'm not sure. I think that's weight bearing bone, so maybe a raw feeder can chime in on those. @anatess @savemejeebus @RiiSi @laurendoodler

They advertise these bones that they don't splinter. Uhm... all bones - raw or cooked - has the potential to splinter. These dinosaur beef bones (that's what they call the weight bearing beef bones at the butcher), either raw or cooked, does not splinter as easy as chicken bones (even raw chicken bones), that is true. But the cooked/smoked dinosaur beef bones splinter more so than raw. They're not 100% non-splintering! A dog can process a splintered raw bone with relative safety than splintered cooked bone because its stomach acids can melt a raw bone much faster than cooked bone.

But, when it comes to these recreational bones (weight bearing big animal bones raw or smoked) - it all depends on the dog. "Seasoned gnawers" are patient and would gnaw and gnaw and gnaw on the bone with patience and not attempt to rip through the bone. They can go at it for hours and get tired before they can rip through the bone and risk splinters and at the end of the day, you can just take the bone and throw it out.

But, the bigger issue with these bones are the damage it can do to a dog's mouth if they're not "seasoned gnawers". There are dogs that are over-zealous when it comes to bones - especially those un-experienced in bone consumption - that if you are not paying attention, they will try to rip through the bone to get to the marrow regardless of the damage to their mouth. With these dogs unsupervised, you could potentially come home to a broken but unsplintered dinosaur bone but with the dog's mouth all bloody, ripped, and torn and with chipped teeth.

Personally, my dogs are seasoned gnawers so they are okay with bones like these. But it is loads cheaper to go get a raw dinosaur bone from the butcher and they are much better for dogs than a Dino Bone so I don't bother with these smoked things.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Oh my, sounds like my dad. Last week I found a piece of 2x4 inside Aces crate. My dads excuse: it's cause the puppy likes it! Needless to say, I told him that Ace is not allowed outside his crate until I get home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My insanity of caring for my babies has all visitors on edge when in our home.... so my insanity, saves the pups from getting anyting they should not :D

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I think the MIL & FIL issues may be from their era. Back then dogs were fed purina dog chow or if they were lucky they got gravy train (add a little water & it made gravy). Plus all the scraps you felt like giving them. I remember going to restaurants & my dad getting doggy bags full of beef bones. Different times now that we are more educated about health dangers.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think it all depends on the bully re: the dino bones. If they're strong chewers, I wouldn't recommend it. I also find that they're salty … I gave the boys one a year ago and I remember them drinking a lot more. They loved them, but drank and peed like crazy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.