My Dog smells like stinky dog all the time, fed up!!!

Blitzkrieg

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
My dog just plain old stinks, I tried 3 different types of food, made no difference, He eats nothing but his food only. I do have to clean his right ear everyday as I got him when he was 3 and the previous owner did not treat for a bad ear infection. So besides his god awful stinky ear, he sleeps 16+ hours a day and when he wakes up or moves around in his sleep, the horrible Stinky dog smell wafts in the room. I have had him 2 years and this smell is on the edge of getting rid of him.

I have tried different types of soap, deodorizing foams ect. Nothing works!!!! He gets a bath every 2 weeks and smells good for maybe 2 days. then the nasty dog smell arrives!

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do, but this stinky dog smell has to END!!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you had your veterinarian check him out? what does he say about it? Have you tried giving him a supplement? It could be due to allergies. The Kaufmann company makes many good supplements, including skin. You can find their number on the internet, they will be happy to speak to you and help.I have used them for many years, for my horses and dogs.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the smell could be from many different things. Food being the first one, but as you mentioned you've tried 3 different types of food already. Which brand do you feed Sherman? It could still be a food related problem if he has allergies or sensitivities. Have you ever had him tested for yeast? Does he chew or lick his paws a lot, or do they have a reddish brown color to them? These can both be signs of a yeast infection or problem. Has he had his anal glands done or checked lately, this could be another cause of odor. One thing you can try is to rinse Sherman with apple cider vinegar and warm water after you shampoo and rinse him. Rinse him a second time with the vinegar mixture. We do this with our two guys, and we bath every two weeks as well. The vinegar is very good for the skin and coat, and is a natural antibacterial, so is good at killing yeast. It also helps to keep them smelling fresher longer in between their baths. You could ask your vet to see if he has any suggestions as to what would be causing the odor as well, as some diseases can cause Odors, such as diabetes. I hope you find a solution to the odor problem. Please keep us posted.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It most likely is the food or allergy of somekind. What foods have you tried? I feed my boys raw, there's no smell and I was them 2-3 times a year.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like he may be yeasty!

I highly recommend an antibacterial antifungal shampoo, pharmaseb or douxo.

The ear has a problem, you should not have to clean it daily. If you do, there is a yeast issue in there too that needs a good medicated ear flush or some panalog (rx) to rid of it.

Food is likely part if the issue, he may have some allergies. What foods have you tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sounds like he may be yeasty!

I highly recommend an antibacterial antifungal shampoo, pharmaseb or douxo.

The ear has a problem, you should not have to clean it daily. If you do, there is a yeast issue in there too that needs a good medicated ear flush or some panalog (rx) to rid of it.

Food is likely part if the issue, he may have some allergies. What foods have you tried?

This made me LAUGH OUT LOUD, sounds so familiar. [MENTION=6028]Blitzkrieg[/MENTION] 3 and a half years ago this was my very exact same post to this site. Vegas stunk so bad I was seriously considering re-homing him as I am OCD about a clean and a clean smelling home. I had a hard time even snuggeling with him because he stunk to bad!! Vegas's face was red and swollen and he had open sores!! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ask me the very same questions as she has ask you. I wondered what in the world did food have to do with it??? Well within weeks of using an anti-fungal/yeast shampoo from our vet Pharmaseb (still use it) and doing a food change to GRAIN FREE, our whole world changed!! NO more stinky bully!!! I have been part of this site for 3.5 years now and love it. I personally feed Earthbourne Holistic Grain Free Lamb and he does wonders on it. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], can you post a link to the article I wrote on food change so they can read it?? I know I stink as a mod :blush2: I don't know how to post links!! Good Luck and please do all that has been mentioned you and Sherman will both be better off!!!

B

Baxter Tiberius

He gets a bath every 2 weeks and smells good for maybe 2 days. then the nasty dog smell arrives!

Well there's the first problem. Shower with him once a week. 2 weeks is way too long, even for a dog with no stinky problems. If he's even slightly active at all, 7 days is the maximum limit Baxter can go. I literally lather Baxter up with DOVE sensitive skin soap, until he's one big marshmallow puff ball in the shower, and then I get into the toes, and continue with the tail pocket until it no longer results in discoloration on the wash cloth. You've never seen a more gorgeous bully when I'm done, and it lasts about 7 days. Tail pocket must remain clean daily, and dry. You should get the ears checked by a vet to resolve any infection. And toes need to be cleaned and dry at all times.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well there's the first problem. Shower with him once a week. 2 weeks is way too long, even for a dog with no stinky problems. If he's even slightly active at all, 7 days is the maximum limit Baxter can go. I literally lather Baxter up with DOVE sensitive skin soap, until he's one big marshmallow puff ball in the shower, and then I get into the toes, and continue with the tail pocket until it no longer results in discoloration on the wash cloth. You've never seen a more gorgeous bully when I'm done, and it lasts about 7 days. Tail pocket must remain clean daily, and dry. You should get the ears checked by a vet to resolve any infection. And toes need to be cleaned and dry at all times.

Once a week is really too much as they will lose all the natural oils in the skin that help keep it healthy. I also would worry about using dove soap since humans have an entirely different ph then canines.

Really they should be bathed only about once a month or less unless you are fighting a skin issue.

Or they rolled in the mud... Or rolled in :poo:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] is right, bathing once a week is too much for a bully, unless it's for a medical reason. Try the things suggested to you above and see if it help, which it should. If it doesn't, you need to find a good bully vet and see what they have to say.

B

Baxter Tiberius

@Davidh
Once a week is really too much as they will lose all the natural oils in the skin that help keep it healthy. I also would worry about using dove soap since humans have an entirely different ph then canines.

Really they should be bathed only about once a month or less unless you are fighting a skin issue.

Is there some sign I can look for that would indicate its causing him problems? Because his skin and coat are gorgeous. People comment on it all the time. I haven't seen any indication that he's having any adverse reactions to being washed once a week. Plus, I bring him to the doggy daycare twice a week. He comes home covered in other dogs saliva. And most of the time several cuts on his face from rambunxious play and bites. I don't like leaving bacteria and viruses smeared all over his face and coat, from 15 other dogs, for a month, doubled, tripled, quadrupled up over four weeks. Seems like a very bad idea.

Attachments

• bax.jpg
    bax.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

Well, my boys must be really badly neglected and filthy getting washed 2-3times a year....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mine, too. I have been LUCKY so far! I give baths IF they smell doggy, or get too dirty outside-or if I feel it's time, but about like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]...(bad parents?)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@Davidh

Is there some sign I can look for that would indicate its causing him problems? Because his skin and coat are gorgeous. People comment on it all the time. I haven't seen any indication that he's having any adverse reactions to being washed once a week. Plus, I bring him to the doggy daycare twice a week. He comes home covered in other dogs saliva. And most of the time several cuts on his face from rambunxious play and bites. I don't like leaving bacteria and viruses smeared all over his face and coat, from 15 other dogs, for a month, doubled, tripled, quadrupled up over four weeks. Seems like a very bad idea.

Your problem is not the number of baths your dog is having. Your problem is a stinky bulldog. If you're bathing him twice a month and he is still stinky, it is a problem. Dogs are not naturally stinky.

I have 3 dogs - 2 bulldogs and a bichon frise. The Bulldogs slobber all over the bichon all day long - he is this white long haired dog. The bichon only gets bathed once a month unless he jumps in the pond - I brush him daily (required for this breed). The Bulldogs only gets bathed once every 2-3 months or so. They get their ears cleaned out only during baths. They don't get their teeth brushed at all (I feed raw). None of them stink. Not even their breath.

So, your dog getting bathed every 2 weeks is not what is causing your bulldog to stink. I am pretty certain your dog has a yeast bloom. A yeast infection can cause that ear to be crusty and stink.

And you can address yeast blooms through diet. What you are looking for is a LOW CARBS diet. Grain free will not help you if the food is still high carbs, but most quality grain free kibble is relatively low carb as well. Yeast thrives on carbs - it's like yummy buffet for yeast fungi. So the more carbs, the more yeast is going to be thriving and happy in your dog. Unfortunately, Carb content is not required in the Guaranteed Analysis label in the kibble bag. So you'll have to apply some math guesstimates. This is how to calculate for Carbs content from what is written on the bag: Carbs % = (100% - Protein % - Fat % - Moisture % - 8%). The 8% there is a guesstimate of Ash content (trace minerals) which is not written on the bag. If Carbs is higher than 50% - you don't want that food, yeast infection or not. But for a yeasty dog, you want that Carbs very low. If you can get it to 0%, so much the better - of course, you will be hard-pressed to find Kibble that is lower than 30% carbs because you need carbs to form the breaded kibbles. If you can transition to wet food or raw feeding then you can go for 0% carbs that way.

There are lots of suggestions above on how to treat Yeast infection - Apple Cider Vinegar bath is a good one. Also adding a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water your dog drinks - if you can get him to drink it - is also good. But, you still have to tackle the underlying problem to prevent new yeast from living in your dog and not just treat the yeast infection. A visit to the vet is always a good idea.

Hope this helps.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
On another note: Getting cuts from doggy daycare is not good even if it's from play. This can lead to infection. You might want to talk to your doggy daycare people to make sure they supervise the dogs and separate dogs that are too rough on each other.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.