Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Dog smells like stinky dog all the time, fed up!!!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Dog smells like stinky dog all the time, fed up!!!

Mine, too. I have been LUCKY so far! I give baths IF they smell doggy, or get too dirty outside-or if I feel it's time, but about like @RiiSi...(bad parents?)
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    @Davidh

Is there some sign I can look for that would indicate its causing him problems? Because his skin and coat are gorgeous. People comment on it all the time. I haven't seen any indication that he's having any adverse reactions to being washed once a week. Plus, I bring him to the doggy daycare twice a week. He comes home covered in other dogs saliva. And most of the time several cuts on his face from rambunxious play and bites. I don't like leaving bacteria and viruses smeared all over his face and coat, from 15 other dogs, for a month, doubled, tripled, quadrupled up over four weeks. Seems like a very bad idea.
    Your problem is not the number of baths your dog is having. Your problem is a stinky bulldog. If you're bathing him twice a month and he is still stinky, it is a problem. Dogs are not naturally stinky.

I have 3 dogs - 2 bulldogs and a bichon frise. The Bulldogs slobber all over the bichon all day long - he is this white long haired dog. The bichon only gets bathed once a month unless he jumps in the pond - I brush him daily (required for this breed). The Bulldogs only gets bathed once every 2-3 months or so. They get their ears cleaned out only during baths. They don't get their teeth brushed at all (I feed raw). None of them stink. Not even their breath.

So, your dog getting bathed every 2 weeks is not what is causing your bulldog to stink. I am pretty certain your dog has a yeast bloom. A yeast infection can cause that ear to be crusty and stink.

And you can address yeast blooms through diet. What you are looking for is a LOW CARBS diet. Grain free will not help you if the food is still high carbs, but most quality grain free kibble is relatively low carb as well. Yeast thrives on carbs - it's like yummy buffet for yeast fungi. So the more carbs, the more yeast is going to be thriving and happy in your dog. Unfortunately, Carb content is not required in the Guaranteed Analysis label in the kibble bag. So you'll have to apply some math guesstimates. This is how to calculate for Carbs content from what is written on the bag: Carbs % = (100% - Protein % - Fat % - Moisture % - 8%). The 8% there is a guesstimate of Ash content (trace minerals) which is not written on the bag. If Carbs is higher than 50% - you don't want that food, yeast infection or not. But for a yeasty dog, you want that Carbs very low. If you can get it to 0%, so much the better - of course, you will be hard-pressed to find Kibble that is lower than 30% carbs because you need carbs to form the breaded kibbles. If you can transition to wet food or raw feeding then you can go for 0% carbs that way.

There are lots of suggestions above on how to treat Yeast infection - Apple Cider Vinegar bath is a good one. Also adding a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water your dog drinks - if you can get him to drink it - is also good. But, you still have to tackle the underlying problem to prevent new yeast from living in your dog and not just treat the yeast infection. A visit to the vet is always a good idea.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

On another note: Getting cuts from doggy daycare is not good even if it's from play. This can lead to infection. You might want to talk to your doggy daycare people to make sure they supervise the dogs and separate dogs that are too rough on each other.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Well, my boys must be really badly neglected and filthy getting washed 2-3times a year....
    Nope; my girls only get a full fledged bath twice a year and there is nothing neglected about them. They are absolutely beautiful bullies; everytime i take them somewhere people remark on their coats how silky soft they are and how they glimmer. No smelly bullies here; I had a girl bury her face in Ambers coat on Friday night when I took her to get her nails trimmed and the girl said, "she smells wonderful." I was laughing because the girl literally sat on the floor to pet my girls. Someone asked me about the bully lavender wash I use on them well here it is: get some lavender branches either from a lavender plant, the farmers market or a hobby shop, put two gallons of water in a lkarge pot on to boil and break up the lavender branches and put it in the water, let it go to a rolling boil for several minutes then cut the heat back to simmer and just let it simmer for about an hour. Then turn it off and let the water cool just as it is; the boiling of the branches lets the natural lavender come out of the branches and goes into the water. once the water is cooled down completely strain the water into two gallon jugs, there should be a scent of lavender in the water (you can also go to a naturals place and get natural lavender oil like the type you put in poturri pots). Get a spray bottle, fill it up with the water and use it as a spritzer for the bullies once a week. They will smell great, it is a natural flea and tick repellent and no adverse affects. They don't get anything with grains at all; again they get a bath twice a year and no smelly bullies and no where near neglect.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the Lavender hint!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Kennel Cleaner
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma and Annie
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like the problem is internal-the food. I have seen that same issue from other people. And food-was the problem. I do raw- will never go back to commercial. Do not have any skin issues at all, no odors, etc. And the people that I mentioned whose dogs had an odor, went raw, that stopped the odor, once their bodies got clean of commercial food.
    I know it must be uncomfortable for you, but your poor dog must be very uncomfortable. Go to vet , do blood test,stool tests, start the raw food, give it a little time to detox, your dog should start doing better.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Baxter Tiberius bathing too often drys out the skin. You may not see it now but as he gets older it can be a problem. If you want to clean him after playing, I would just wipe him with some unscented baby wipes or there is some waterless dog wash that you can lightly spay on and wipe off. It will not dry them out and has a nice smell.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    Nope; my girls only get a full fledged bath twice a year and there is nothing neglected about them. They are absolutely beautiful bullies; everytime i take them somewhere people remark on their coats how silky soft they are and how they glimmer. No smelly bullies here; I had a girl bury her face in Ambers coat on Friday night when I took her to get her nails trimmed and the girl said, "she smells wonderful." I was laughing because the girl literally sat on the floor to pet my girls. Someone asked me about the bully lavender wash I use on them well here it is: get some lavender branches either from a lavender plant, the farmers market or a hobby shop, put two gallons of water in a lkarge pot on to boil and break up the lavender branches and put it in the water, let it go to a rolling boil for several minutes then cut the heat back to simmer and just let it simmer for about an hour. Then turn it off and let the water cool just as it is; the boiling of the branches lets the natural lavender come out of the branches and goes into the water. once the water is cooled down completely strain the water into two gallon jugs, there should be a scent of lavender in the water (you can also go to a naturals place and get natural lavender oil like the type you put in poturri pots). Get a spray bottle, fill it up with the water and use it as a spritzer for the bullies once a week. They will smell great, it is a natural flea and tick repellent and no adverse affects. They don't get anything with grains at all; again they get a bath twice a year and no smelly bullies and no where near neglect.
    Definitely trying this! Thanks for the share. My ace doesn't stink. It's time for s bath cause he had an accident on his blanket (pee) And slept omit, so he has slight odor. I brush him daily, and his coat is silky. I also give him nuvet plus supplement and grizzly salmon oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    Will definitely try this! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the Lavender recipe, I love the smell of Lavender, and it also has a natural calming effect.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

the smell is probably an allergy to the food. Here is a link to rated dog foods -- we use Fromm grain free, http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...g-Food-Ratings
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads