Winston update at 10 months

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston's about 10 months and had a couple questions. First off, this little guy even though at times can really make a person mad, is the best thing ever. Nothing like coming home to a dog that's so excited to see you.

Lately he has been getting in touch with his primal side and tearing all the toys we have to pieces. He's guilty of holding one end and biting the other trying to tear it apart. Similar to how a wild dog would eat meat or a dead animal. This has happened with his favorite toy "Fred", a Kong alligator. We replaced that one and now he has a Kong wubba and proceeded to start it on this now. I don't know what to do other than take it away. Not a big deal but get annoying replacing toys. He's got so many other toys that he doesn't play (antlers, bones, ball inside of a ball, ropes etc) that these things get abused.

My questions are when we get him up in the morning before work he eats, goes outside to go to the bathroom and then when he comes back in, he grabs Fred and brings him on the couch and lays there doing what we call "suckling" on Fred. His mouth is around the toy but not biting it but rather making sucking noises. This has happened for awhile now but wondering if other dogs do this?

He also has some red spots between two sets of his toes. One on his front paw and one on his back. I tried taking a picture but couldn't get a real detailed one. He will sometimes chew it seems on his feet so I assume it's maybe an infection of sorts. He only has this between two toes in front and in back. His feet are colored white so it's easy to see, it's almost like there is no hair there when comparing to other toes as it's pinkish.

I've also noticed on his left eye the color surrounding the pupil is like a hazy white almost a yellow tinge to it. The right is normal looking white. This has been this way for months and don't know if it's normal or a precursor to something.

Lastly living in Minnesota it's been frigid for a few months now. Since we haven't walked him in the cold months we reduced his food down to 1 1/4 cups a feeding so he doesn't get overweight. He's fed Fromms pork and peas and is ten months almost. He weighed 44 lbs last time we were at the pet store. Seems a little light, should we be feeding him another 1/4 or so to get the weight up being he's still technically a pup?

We give him a capful of ACV with his water and between that and the Fromms have taken care of tear stains. Just want to fix the problem in his feet
u8aze6a4.jpg
y9y6azu8.jpg
uhe4uve3.jpg
yzaqyqub.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston is adorable… :luv: Suckling on toys is extremely normal, my bullies used to do it too. Some are destructive, and you need to watch him to make sure he doesn't swallow any pieces. He could have cysts between his toes, you can do an epsom salt soak for them to go away. Some members use other products as well, but you could start w/the soak… Not sure about the eye yellowing, but I will tag some members to see what they advice. Good luck, and Thanks for sharing the pics!!! ;)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm with Tracey, the spots between his toes could be cysts. Epsom salt soaks twice a day will fix that... just good luck getting him to sit still to do it, lol! Best bet is to make him stand in the bath tub. It's the only way I can get Aubie to do it.

Tons of bullies suckle their toys. Aubie is quick to tear up regular toys, but she does well with the Tuffy Toys. She had a shark for over a year and it just recently tore up. She also has an alligator and the big pig that have lasted. Carolina Pet Pantry has a tough toy section that rates them on a scale of 1 to 10, so maybe try one of those that is rated high.

Winston sure is a handsome fella! You want him to have a waist but not showing ribs. I would give him at least 1 1/2 cups since he is growing, but some of the other members can probably give you better advice at that. Aubie has always got 2 cups a day Fromm since she was about his age and she's a good weight at almost 2 years old (OMG, she's almost 2 already?!?!).

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston sure is a handsome fella! You want him to have a waist but not showing ribs. I would give him at least 1 1/2 cups since he is growing, but some of the other members can probably give you better advice at that. Aubie has always got 2 cups a day Fromm since she was about his age and she's a good weight at almost 2 years old (OMG, she's almost 2 already?!?!).

He gets basically 2.5 cups per day but wondering if that's enough. Can't see any ribs but if looking from above you can see his body/waist narrows between ribs and hips

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Gus was born 02/17/13 and gets 2.5c/day of Pork n Peas also. I supplement a couple of times a week with a couple of big spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt, a hardboiled egg, sometimes raw carrot and apple, a little peanut butter, etc. He also gets a NuVet vitamin once a day. With the snacks added in, I find that amount of kibble to be good. I called the nutritionist at Fromm when Gus was younger and he gave me some pointers. You might try calling if you think he tends toward underweight. I know for sure, though, that it is MUCH healthier for them to be a little bit underweight than a little bit overweight. Winston is a super handsome boy!

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is about 45 lbs normal for a 10month old male? Pcchenard, that's how he'll fall asleep on the couch!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
He gets basically 2.5 cups per day but wondering if that's enough. Can't see any ribs but if looking from above you can see his body/waist narrows between ribs and hips

You want them to have a little waist like that. As long as he's not showing ribs, he can have a waist and be perfect.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Regarding the eye- Blue has the same thing. Our Ophthalmologist said the pigmentation was just darker, and it's perfectly normal. Assuming your pup isn't showing any signs of discomfort, it may be the same thing.

And he's absolutely adorable!! Love the tongue tippy pics..lol..

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I have stopped buying spike any toys he can tear apart like the little animals. Antlers and kong balls now because he will tear apart anything that has a stuffing filler. Beds, toys, blankets you name it!

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I have stopped buying spike any toys he can tear apart like the little animals. Antlers and kong balls now because he will tear apart anything that has a stuffing filler. Beds, toys, blankets you name it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking bully boy ---- the gang have you covered on the paw issue. As for the 'suckling' MANY buulies here do this
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] are two I can think of

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June sucks on her stuffed toys too. She sucks on the arms/legs/ears/tails/etc till they fall off! Lol It used to take awhile but now they last less than a day! She only gets her kong, antlers and nylabone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online