Rooney Problems - Nervous/possibly abused

peky0401

Jan 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
I'm hoping someone might have some tips or advice on how to break this pup. My roommate got Rooney from a breeder in Arkansas. She's a little over two years old. The breeder sold her cheap because they "said" she could no longer have puppies because she had a cyst on her ovaries/could no longer breed. When Rooney got to the house we thought she was just nervous being in a new setting, but it has got out of control. At first she immediately found her "spot" on the couch and would not move from that spot. We literally had to pick her up to bring her outside. When you approach her she gets nervous and ducks her head almost like you're going to hit her. (this is why I'm wondering if she was abused). Finally, tired of this behavior I implemented a no couch rule and worked with her to keep her off. She would just pace around the house in circles nervously. She has since found a new spot in the bedroom. She's doing the same thing will not leave the spot, I take her out of the room and shut the door and she paces around like a crazy nervous dog. She has even ran into the door during her pacing trying to smash through it. She runs away when we try to approach her. She is just so scarred and nervous all the time. I can literally put a treat right in front of her and she will not move/is too nervous to even take a bite. I've trained a few different dogs before all very well behaved, but I just have no idea what to do with her. I know she's smart and has it in her. When I pick her up and literally bring her outside
C:\Users\A176685\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
I can just let her do her business and she comes back and to the door. No fence or anything she has the same routine every time and comes to the front door. Any help or suggestions or what I could do to break her would be appreciated. It's been about six months and we are so frustrated with her it's starting to feel like a lost cause. I do not want to give up on this pup any ideas would be great!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor sweet baby..... she is terrified and does not know any better. This si going to be a long road, but we can help you through

I am going to tag a few members that have experience with rescued babies.... they will be here shortly.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Our Ruthie was the same way when we got her. Does Rooney have a crate? Maybe set her up with a crate so she has a safe spot all to herself. Be patient with her and be kind, it's going to take her a while to trust you. It took Ruthie about a year to fully feel herself in our home. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Don't give up on her :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't have any experience with abused rescues, but maybe take thing real slow and let her get used to her surroundings first. Maybe you can get her a doggie bed and put it in the room you are going to be in so she gets used to being around you. She will eventually come to realize she is safe and you are not going to hurt her. It sounds to me like maybe she was leashed in one spot so she thinks it is normal to have one spot only. Just give her positive reinforcement to any behavior you don't like and talk to her in calm tones. She will come around and you will be a happy family. Thank you for rescuing her. Keep us posted on her progress. Oh and pictures here are a must.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, it certainly sounds like this poor girl was abused. I'm betting she lived in a CAGE ALL HER LIFE, and is actually afraid of freedom. I would get her a crate-so that she will have a safe place. It took 2 years to put this much fear in her-but it usually takes a lot longer to put trust in them, as she (as you can tell) as never known a kind and loving home. If she goes in her crate sit on the floor near her, talk to her, tell her it will be okay-see if she will take a treat(something really special for those times). We can only imagine what that poor dog has been through. She needs alot of time and love. AND patience.The fact that you can pick her up-and she doesn't growl or bite-is a positive thing. Give her a nice Teddy and blanket in her crate(make sure she doesn't chew) and have a lot of patience. Check in at any time, even to "Vent". I know how frustrating it can get-but two years of abuse leaves alot of scars. She just doesn't know "trust" at all. I have been hurt by people-I lost my trust-she probably had mental and phsyical hurt. Hang in there-she is young-it will take a long time, but in the end it will be worth it and you will be rewarded! Forgot to say, put her crate where you all spend the most time.

OP
P

peky0401

Jan 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
Wow thank you for the responses I appreciate all the help everyone! I have suggested the crate idea already, I had the same and thought that maybe she just doesnt feel comfortable with freedom and was in a kennel her whole life. My only fear with this and why I havent done this yet is I dont know if she'll take to it, OR my biggest fear is she will go in there and never come out, might open a whole new can of worms. I guess I could tackle that problem when it happens though, I think after hearing this from a couple of you and thinking about it myself I might try it out, see how she reacts. We spend most time in the living room so maybe I will take it out there and try it out for a few days. Have to do something or she is just going to keep hiding in the bedroom.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Wow thank you for the responses I appreciate all the help everyone! I have suggested the crate idea already, I had the same and thought that maybe she just doesnt feel comfortable with freedom and was in a kennel her whole life. My only fear with this and why I havent done this yet is I dont know if she'll take to it, OR my biggest fear is she will go in there and never come out, might open a whole new can of worms. I guess I could tackle that problem when it happens though, I think after hearing this from a couple of you and thinking about it myself I might try it out, see how she reacts. We spend most time in the living room so maybe I will take it out there and try it out for a few days. Have to do something or she is just going to keep hiding in the bedroom.

Well, Since she is behaving in the house-no damage, no poop- I would leave the crate door open. You will probably have to put a leash on her and drag her out-to go out, but you are having to do it anyway. Any other time-if she wants to be in there, let her. In time, when she feels safe and more secure, she will venture out on her own.
Does she eat okay? And where does she eat?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Dogs sense the feelings you are going through so if you're frustrated she will sense that. Be patient with her and allow her to find a comfy spot to call her own...does she any toys to relax her? Comfort her and give her lots of TLC - it will take time but she will come out of her shell you just have to allow her to do so in her own time and on her own terms. A crate would be a great idea as they think of these as their dens. I hope you won't give up on her and that one day soon you'll look at her and wonder how you ever lived without her. Hugs to Rooney!

OP
P

peky0401

Jan 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
Right now she eats in the bedroom. I had to do this right when we got her because she would not leave the couch, not even to eat. So at night I would put her in the bedroom with food and water and shut the door. She would eventually eat when no ones looking/sleeping. As far as toys we've bought tons of toys/bones/treats she doesnt play with them. I have caught her from time to time playing with a toy up on the couch a little bit if I set it next to her. She tends to do it when no one is around I think, when people are in the room she's too nervous. I'm going to go and buy a crate here after work. Maybe I will try putting it in the living room with her doggy bed/blanket and the food and water. Try it out for a couple days and see what happens.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Right now she eats in the bedroom. I had to do this right when we got her because she would not leave the couch, not even to eat. So at night I would put her in the bedroom with food and water and shut the door. She would eventually eat when no ones looking/sleeping. As far as toys we've bought tons of toys/bones/treats she doesnt play with them. I have caught her from time to time playing with a toy up on the couch a little bit if I set it next to her. She tends to do it when no one is around I think, when people are in the room she's too nervous. I'm going to go and buy a crate here after work. Maybe I will try putting it in the living room with her doggy bed/blanket and the food and water. Try it out for a couple days and see what happens.
I think that is a great idea!!! Ruthie didn't know how to play with toys either, she will learn they are fun. I bet she will love her crate. Keep us posted on your sweet baby's progress.

OP
P

peky0401

Jan 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rooney
rooney 2 20130818_204813.jpgrooney 20130906_184928.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some pictures of her on her "spot" on the couch!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
ok. You have been given some great advice and I would one add that diner time is your best friend from my experience. All of my rescues had to learn trust; mealtime is a great way to gain that trust. I would recommend making her eat out of your hands no matter how long it takes. Sit on the floor with her and try to feed her (I usually took a different position than sitting on the floor with the Great Danes because some of them I worked with were at first a bit unsettled and more than just nervous), if she resists take the food way and come back maybe an hour later and try again. It took me several months with my rescues that were abused to get them to take things out of my hand, once they started taking the food out of my hand I would then give them their bowl but they had to initally take something out of my hand before I handed over the bowl to them. Bacon bits is usually a high value treat that works nicely to get them to eat out of your hand. Patience will be key; a nice quiet environment and she will come around, just keep the faith and good luck! She is worth it, just give her some time.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
At least she's in a good home now, when I was younger my aunt got a dog that had been abused, I went round everyday taking her for a walk and spending time with her. For along time I put a lot in for no return but after a while she surly came round.
Hang in there and you ll get your return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.