Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hello

I have had 2 dogs in my adult life baileys who was a Staffordshire bull terrier ( who after 14 wonderful years passed away ) and diesel my 15 month old bully. I have never brushed any of my dogs teeth ( me bad ?.:ohmy: )
i look after diesel better than I look after myself and I want to give him the best,
do you brush your dogs teeth ?

How do I ?

Where do I start ?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:happydance:Hi Jimmy. I do brush my bullies teeth. If you start brushing their teeth from a young age, they will be used to it and won't mind you doing it. You can buy many different dog teeth cleaning products at Petsmart or any other pet supply store. I bought the Arm and Hammer brand of toothbrush for dogs, it came in a package that contains a regular toothbrush, and a finger toothbrush, and beef flavoured dog safe toothpaste, never use toothpaste for people as it dangerous and toxic for animals. I usually brush their teeth once every two weeks, usually before their bath. I sit on the floor, and have them sit between my legs with their body facing away from me. I place their head on my chest, and then brush their teeth, they like the taste of the toothpaste as it tastes like beef, and then just let them drink some water to clean it off. My groomer is also certified in scaling and cleaning teeth for dogs, and so about every two months, I take them to her to have their teeth scaled and brushed by her. I like taking them there instead of having my vet do the cleanings of their teeth, because she would put them under anesthetic, and there's too much risk of complications to do this for teeth cleaning. If you maintain their teeth from a young age, and give them bones to chew on, you can keep their teeth clean and avoid dental problems. There is also a product called Fresh Clean, it is a green liquid that you put in the drinking water, it removes plaque from the teeth, kills bacteria, and has a minty taste to freshen the breath.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No need for us to.... marrow bones, antlers and nylabones...they both have great looking teeth

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
No need for us to.... marrow bones, antlers and nylabones...they both have great looking teeth

Same here with Vegas, never have brushed his teeth and they are sparkling white, he chews marrow bones, antlers and nylabones.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
We brush his teeth every now and then but he doesn't mind which is nice. We do it when we feel his breath gets kind of stinky lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Like [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], I started early with my EB. I tried to remember to clean his teeth once a week or more. He chews bones and nylabone too.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I brush Meekos ... not very often usually just when he has his bath he gets everything done, manicure pedicure teeth brush ears cleaned the lot.He doesnt mind it. They say if you feed your dog kibble and give them teeth cleaning treats like nylabones and chew bones and i think rope toys clean them too, theres not a great need to do it. I do it just to know hes clean and fresh though lol :) x

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Ahhh diesel loves antlers. Soooo working on that he don't need them brushed ?

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I find it good as training so Meeko lets me easily open his mouth and look inside without a struggle. Especially If he has to go to the vets for anything and they need to look. Lift up Diesels lip flaps if his teeth look healthy and clean (white not yellow) and gums look normal then theres no need

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Tell your boss your late because you were busy liftin up lip flaps im sure he will understand :lol:

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I am the boss. I understand completely but diesel ain't to sure. Hehehe