puppy mills

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
So i was in a recent discussion of puppies at work and someone had brought up that when you buy them from the puppy store that 90% if not all of them were from puppy mills. Yes, i did get Hercules at a puppy store :/ But i find it hard to believe that he could have came from a puppy mill. If that is the case, is there a way to find out and if so, are there problems that I can run into with this.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Not too sure on this, but couldn't you Cross research his AKC pedigree and try to get more info from there. Then again, so called breeders can also be considered puppy mills :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
I think it depends on the store. Places like petsmart use adoptions (not puppy mills) and some smaller pet stores get puppies from people they know locally. I think each pet store just needs to be researched before a puppy is bought. Just because Hercules was bought at a pet store doesn't mean he's from a puppy mill. And I definitely don't think 90% of puppies at stores are from puppy mills. That's an insane amount. I'm not an expert on puppy mills by any means but I think whoever told you that was wrong. Hercules is a cutie by the way :-)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If he is an AKC registered dog, you would be able to track down his history and owners/breeders, but if not , the only way would be to ask the store where you got him, where THEY got him-if they would tell you, or even remember. You could have problems "down" the road, or things may be just fine! Even the BEST of breeders-a pup can have problems.he is your baby now-do the best you can for him and there is no way to change what is done and hope for the best! I called the breeders veterinarian, spoke to him about if there were any past pups with problems/hd/any heridtary faults,etc. That still does not guarantee that mine can't have any problems. Same with having children.BUT It just helps more to know you bought from a good breeder and are not supporting "Puppy mills". But yes, most but not all "stores" get theirs from puppy mills.

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Hercules is AKC certified so i will look at his paper work. Just kind of upsetting to hear that just in general. and [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] he is my baby now and thankful to have this site because it has really helped me take better care of him and learn things that i can do for more experienced owners :)

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I think it depends on the store. Places like petsmart use adoptions (not puppy mills) and some smaller pet stores get puppies from people they know locally. I think each pet store just needs to be researched before a puppy is bought. Just because Hercules was bought at a pet store doesn't mean he's from a puppy mill. And I definitely don't think 90% of puppies at stores are from puppy mills. That's an insane amount. I'm not an expert on puppy mills by any means but I think whoever told you that was wrong. Hercules is a cutie by the way :-)

I was just taken back by what the said and how many of them but you are probably right, that is a high number but you really never know haha but thank you! he's crazy though lol

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I have no clue on statistics about pet stores. In Arizona (this is a recent change) they only do adoptions out of the pet stores! The pets all come from the shelters in the area. They did this to cut down on over breeding/population. I can't imagine 90% of dogs in pet store are from puppy mills, mostly because I want to believe that would have been shut down a long time ago.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Adoptions from the shelters are a totally different thing than the "puppy mills" that sold to pet stores. The animal groups are trying to shut down as many puppy mills as possible. These are the place where the animals are kept in horrible conditions-in cages,bred over and over-just to make $ with no concern for the animal.
Having the shelter dogs at a pet shop is ,it seems to me a good way to find homes for the shelter dogs. Just a few years ago, in a town not to far from here, they had a dumpster, where people dropped dogs that they didn't want-and that is what the dumpster was for! Behind the scenes many people do not realize what is done to so many
poor animals.

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
Adoptions from the shelters are a totally different thing than the "puppy mills" that sold to pet stores. The animal groups are trying to shut down as many puppy mills as possible. These are the place where the animals are kept in horrible conditions-in cages,bred over and over-just to make $ with no concern for the animal.
Having the shelter dogs at a pet shop is ,it seems to me a good way to find homes for the shelter dogs. Just a few years ago, in a town not to far from here, they had a dumpster, where people dropped dogs that they didn't want-and that is what the dumpster was for! Behind the scenes many people do not realize what is done to so many
poor animals.

That is so mortifying that people who dumped helpless animals into a dumpster :(

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This is the thing... just because you got it from a Pet Store does not mean that you can skip over the research portion of your puppy purchase. If it is a reputable Pet Store, they will have contact info of the breeder of each and every one of their puppies. If the store will not provide you with this information, then don't buy from that store.

I got Gizmo, my bichon from a store window. I had no plans on getting a dog. Our 14-year-old Doberman just passed. We were strolling down the local shops and there's this super cute white puffball snoring in his bed of shredded paper by the store window. We went in, took the puppy to the play area in the back and fell instantly in love. I've researched bichons before (had a choice between a Lhasa Apso and a Bichon and went with the Lhasa) so I know the breed well. So then I went to talk to the store manager and asked for his papers. They had a relatively thick folder on him - his AKC pedigree chart complete with award winners and a picture and medical notes of his parents and grandparents with the breeder name and address (local) and his vet records. I called the Vet to verify the info and they told me both dam and sire go there and they are in excellent health. I went through the papers and pictures in the folder that was provided by the breeder including show pictures of previous litters. I didn't bother calling the breeder. I shelled out $2,500 on the spot. Yes, a very expensive impulse buy!

I had several people harass me for not going through the rescue/shelter to get a dog. I didn't care. None of them are Gizmo. But yes, if there was something suspicious about the breeder, I would have walked away from Gizmo even though it would be like ripping a band-aid off a wound.

Last edited:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

RESEARCH....buying any puppy from a breeder locally, nationally or internationally or from any other source requires proper research. Research about the breed, health issues care and costs. As others have stated, no guarantee that any puppy won't have a problem. Pet stores offer guarantees and replacement policies as well as better breeders have the same policy. ASK before you buy.

Owning any animal has an inherent risk involved. Are you ready to accept the level of risk associated with each type of program? Shelter, Foster, Rescue, Pet Store, CL, breeders or just the side of the road "puppies for sale"

We all fall in love with the "one" that calls out to us. Regardless of where you get your puppy or adult animal, YOU are now responsible for the care and the health.

Proper research up front can save thousands of $$ in the long run.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.