Wrinkle under eyes constantly wet!

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Does anyone have the same issue where the wrinkle under the eyes is constantly wet from tears? The only time its dry is when i dry it off, every other minute of the day its wet. He is 6mo. old so I think some teething may play a part, but I can only use that excuse for so long. They may looked stained but its just the wetness.

photoa.JPG

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hiya this looks like a tear stain and can be caused by many of things. People here tend to use a drop of apple cider vinegar in water to help balance the PH. You may also want to look into what food he is being fed as this can be another cause of tear stains. He may have allergys. A long list but im sure others will be along soon to help with a lot more info than what I can give.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel has this. It looks like as mm said a tear stain. Diesels started when he had cherry eye
The apple cider helps it

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hiya this looks like a tear stain and can be caused by many of things. People here tend to use a drop of apple cider vinegar in water to help balance the PH. You may also want to look into what food he is being fed as this can be another cause of tear stains. He may have allergys. A long list but im sure others will be along soon to help with a lot more info than what I can give.

Thanks for the response, though I do not believe its a "stain" because when I dry the area its just white fure, no dark stain. It looks that way most of the day because its wet from his eyes. He is currently on Fromms Pork and Peas. He gets ACV in his water as well as drinking and eating from SS bowls. I guess I am curious if people experienced this with their puppies and when it stopped if ever.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Not an expert here but Spike might not agree with Pork. Have you tried another flavor of Fromms? Fromms grain free foods are interchangeable so changing between Fromms is very easy.

Could also be something environmental for Spike as well. This usually only happens to Holly when her allergies are flared up for one reason or another.

tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Henry, Roxie (2009-2013)
Hi there. My Henry is about the same age , going through the same thing (constant wetness under the eye, teething). I haven't tried the ACV yet, but will definitely do so now. Here's hoping it does eventually slow down!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus has wet eyes all the time. I am constantly wiping his eyes. I just thought it is ok since dry eyes is always such a problem with bullies. They aren't red or swollen or anything, just wet.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Not an expert here but Spike might not agree with Pork. Have you tried another flavor of Fromms? Fromms grain free foods are interchangeable so changing between Fromms is very easy.

Could also be something environmental for Spike as well. This usually only happens to Holly when her allergies are flared up for one reason or another.

Ive tried Beef Fritatta as well as Blue Buffalo Freedom.... they do not seem to water when he is sleeping, just when he is awake and playing around.

When do dogs usually stop teething? Perhaps it is still because he has teeth forcing their way through his gums.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We have this exact same problem. Used to have stains, but since switching to the all-stages grain free (Fromm) and using filtered water the stains have gone away. Her eyes are still always watery though just like yours. June is almost 8 months and I don't think she's teething anymore. She was eating Beef Frittata and now Surf and Turf so i'm not sure if it's something in the food giving her water eyes or what, but she's done this since we brought her home. Doesn't seem to bother her, so i'll just keep trying different things to help.

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
We have this exact same problem. Used to have stains, but since switching to the all-stages grain free (Fromm) and using filtered water the stains have gone away. Her eyes are still always watery though just like yours. June is almost 8 months and I don't think she's teething anymore. She was eating Beef Frittata and now Surf and Turf so i'm not sure if it's something in the food giving her water eyes or what, but she's done this since we brought her home. Doesn't seem to bother her, so i'll just keep trying different things to help.

Do you dry her eyes everyday? Or just give them a once over with baby wipes or something like it? I used to use baby powder to dry them at night, but almost pointless as they are damp most of the day, so they I go over them with a warm cloth or baby wipes and let them air dry.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
[MENTION=10124]SpikeS[/MENTION] I normally just wipe her face with a towel, but doesn't really do anything. The only time those wrinkles under her eyes are dry is when she's sleeping. An hour after being awake they are completely wet again. I mentioned this to our vet when she got spayed at 6 months (when she still had the stains) and he plucked some eye lashes while she was under and also gave us lubricating eye drops. The eye lashes are very fine hairs and don't bother her, and her eyes were watery even after that. Can you tell if she has eyelash rubbing her eyes? I know that can be a common problem for some... even serious enough to her have surgery. Our vet didn't think June's were too concerning but if it becomes a problem where she is squinting or gets an ulcer in her eye they can freeze or burn the lashes off which is supposed to last much longer than plucking, but i'm not even sure if that's a permanent fix?

OP
S

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
@SpikeS I normally just wipe her face with a towel, but doesn't really do anything. The only time those wrinkles under her eyes are dry is when she's sleeping. An hour after being awake they are completely wet again. I mentioned this to our vet when she got spayed at 6 months (when she still had the stains) and he plucked some eye lashes while she was under and also gave us lubricating eye drops. The eye lashes are very fine hairs and don't bother her, and her eyes were watery even after that. Can you tell if she has eyelash rubbing her eyes? I know that can be a common problem for some... even serious enough to her have surgery. Our vet didn't think June's were too concerning but if it becomes a problem where she is squinting or gets an ulcer in her eye they can freeze or burn the lashes off which is supposed to last much longer than plucking, but i'm not even sure if that's a permanent fix?

I thought it may have been an eyelash issue before and I looked and couldnt see anything. Also he does not show any signs of anything irritating them, such as squinting, blinking a lot or rubbing his eyes. As you stated as well, this only happens when he is up and about. Laying down napping or sleeping the moisture goes away. I will ask my vet next appointment and see what they say and be sure to share with you. I plan on getting him neutured around 1 yr so I can have them look better when he is under.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When do dogs usually stop teething? Perhaps it is still because he has teeth forcing their way through his gums.

usually around 5-6 months some can be longer....

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulks 6 months and has the same problem. He's done teething too. There aren't any stains and it doesn't seem to bother him. I just use peroxide with a cottonball a few times per week to keep them from staining. The vet recommended that.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk's are also always wet, i have changed his food, added acv to the water... nothing helps i just wipe his face all day long. Not helpful just empathizing :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online