Licking everything all the time

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Utley licks everything. He will sit there and lick the couch or blanket non stop unless you make him stop. Any suggestions on how to break him of this habit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Don't purchase dogs from pet shops or " licker stores!" Sorry, couldn't resist. My dogs lick each other alot. Does he have toys to chew on-maybe get him a large Elk antler to distract him from the licking. It is probably an ocd habit. Need something to distract him from it. Or a kong with peanut butter, or some treat in it.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie does this too. Sometimes she has to get in trouble to stop and won't even then. We try to get her to play with a toy or just get her attention elsewhere. She needs a "licker" license for that thing!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubie is too young to apply for a "likker" license.:baby:

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June licks things right after she eats. Usually my leg, the wall, her bed, the couch...whatever she's close to after she eats lol it's like she's cleaning her tongue?!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki will occasionally link whatever he can until you tell him no. It is easily redirected by a toy that involves thinking like a treat stuffed Kong or other chew toy.

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Thank you all for the comments and advice. We have not given Utley peanut butter before can we give him any kind or would anyone recommend a specific one?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
franklin licks everything when he's done drinking I hate it. He gets water and slobber all over and my other dog Grace she licks non stop when you rub her butt its so cute and funny!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Don't purchase dogs from pet shops or " licker stores!" Sorry, couldn't resist. My dogs lick each other alot. Does he have toys to chew on-maybe get him a large Elk antler to distract him from the licking. It is probably an ocd habit. Need something to distract him from it. Or a kong with peanut butter, or some treat in it.

We had a doormat that said… "WARNING… dog can't hold his licker" LMAO!!!
Our boxer Roxie is the worst, I swear I have found her licking the walls… :facepalm:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
probably natural peanut butter-smooth, no sugar added!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Norm likes to settle into the couch and lick, lick, lick, slurp, lick, slobber. I was wondering if it was an EB thing, a Norm thing, or just a deep appreciation of our leather couch...

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Any kind of peanut butter will do. I have recently found uncooked bones that I give my girls and they eat the fat and bone marrow out of them and I replace the center with peanut butter and they love it. The bones are beef bones of a good size I give to them raw and the center hole is great and just the right size for smearing peanut butter in them. I use creamy but have used crunchy too; the creamy adheres to the bones better. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Any kind of peanut butter will do. I have recently found uncooked bones that I give my girls and they eat the fat and bone marrow out of them and I replace the center with peanut butter and they love it. The bones are beef bones of a good size I give to them raw and the center hole is great and just the right size for smearing peanut butter in them. I use creamy but have used crunchy too; the creamy adheres to the bones better. Good luck.

best stuff ever.... Banks loves these and she has been getting them for all 8 yrs of her life.... freeze those bad boys too, last longer

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Have you had his anal glands checked.
My Patsy did that a lot, and I read that it was a sign of clogged anal glands. Took to the vet, let them clean them internally. She had one the size of a grape. After, she stopped the licking.
Also, if a dog itchs, they will lick objects or discomfort, they lick and not just the discomfort area.
Good Luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.