SMELLY BUTT

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
Rebels butt smells sour around his tail, I always clean under his tail after he poops, is this normal or should I take him in?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Rebel may need his anal glands expressed. Some dogs need it done more often than others. It is not very pleasant to smell. You can do it yourself or have the vet do it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Does it smell sour or fishy or like a stink bug? His bum shouldn't really have a sour smell to it. Check his tail pocket to make sure he doesn't have something else going on. You can clean the tail pocket too with witch hazel and a cotton ball.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sounds like it might be anal glands need releasing

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
How old are they usually when they first need this done

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
There has been two occasions when Rocco smelled fishy but luckily it went away after a day or two. When he takes a good enough poop I think he can express them on his own

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
All dogs are different. Some hardly ever need it. I had one dog who needed his expressed about every two months, and some once a year. It is hard to say-but little pups don't usually have problems. I'm guessing maybe from 8 months or so-could need it, but as I said, some have more problems with it than others. Sometimes, even though their butt looks clean-if they are scooting, it's usually a sign that they may need it done.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Question..do all bullies need their anal glands expressed at some point? Wouldn't they be dragging their butt in the ground if it was needed? Chums never had it done.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not all dogs scoot when they need it done. Most dogs need it done-but some not very often. I have always done my own dogs, but have had the vet check them-usually when I take them in for their yearly shots. It's alot easier to do dogs with tails!!
Dogs who have more anal gland troubles could wind up with abcess, if they don't drain well on their own(like when they poop)

Last edited:
OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
Ok next question for some time now when I while his butt there is a brown substance( and no its not pooh) when they need their anal glands expressed do they ever have nasty stuff coming from their bum and what would it look like? ( ick sorry hope none of you are eating)

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
Should I take him to the vet?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If it's anal glands....it wont smell like feet. It's more than likely is a yeast infection inside the pocket. If it was anal glands it would be a horrendous fish smell. Usually they express themselves while pooping...or if they get scared, startled. Orion has a malfunctioning gland that goes off when ever. It's gross. It's a liquid, not clear....almost yellowish. And you can smell it from across the room. The term we use here is "Ewwww! Orion fish butted on me again!"

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Cheryl is right, it is an awful dead fish smell-but it usually has been a brownish/army green color. One of my dogs, though-it was like clear water, and the first time I expressed it-it shot across the room!! EEEEWWWWW is right!!!! Most of the time, it is not that liquid. Some dogs will release that smell when they get upset, or very excited, or need cleaning, as Cheryl stated. I'd be afraid to sit with Orion!ha!ha! Sorry, Orion > perfume-Au de pew. But you ARE beautiful:yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.