is it normal for puppies to be so thristy?

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I got an english bulldog puppy on thusday. I cannot bring her to the vet until this thurs but I am really curious if this is normal. She is 15 weeks, well will be 4 months exactly on thursday and she drinks A LOT. I mean everytime I refill the dish sh drinks it all up, and then i fill it again and she still drinks. She is very active and runs a lot so I would feel terrible to not keep giving her the water. However because she drinks so much she has to pee a lot. is it normal?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Every dog is different but drinking too much could indicate a medical condition and vet visit is advisable (but its not an emergency )
When mine were a puppies they didnt gulp too much of it ,we had both of them in summer

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse used to drink a lot as a puppy and he was healthy but we live in Qld Australia and it gets very hot, I would talk to the vet about it to rule out any medical issues.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi April and welcome to EBN! :welcome3:

I agree with what has already been mentioned and I wouldn't at this point restrict any of the water intake. Since you'll be bringing Jovi to the vet tomorrow, you can find out from him/her what they think of the water intake and if there's anything you should be concerned about.

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
Jagger was 12 weeks old and it seemed as though I could never keep enough water for him. I too was worried but my vet assured me there was nothing wrong. He is one year old next month and still drinks a lot of water.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sometimes pups are so active that they drink more. I have had healthy pups, who just seem to be water hogs. But I would definitely mention this to your vet because it could be symptoms of something more serious. It is hard to tell without observing her. When you give her water-measure it out in cups,write down today's amount- then you would be able to tell him the amount the pup is drinking, and he could judge better if he thinks it is excessive or not.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN and the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

I agree witht he others, it could just be he is infactuated with the water/bowl, but talk to the vet when you go in to make sure there is nothing else going on

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I got an english bulldog puppy on thusday. I cannot bring her to the vet until this thurs but I am really curious if this is normal. She is 15 weeks, well will be 4 months exactly on thursday and she drinks A LOT. I mean everytime I refill the dish sh drinks it all up, and then i fill it again and she still drinks. She is very active and runs a lot so I would feel terrible to not keep giving her the water. However because she drinks so much she has to pee a lot. is it normal?

I agree with all of tips above, our Buster drank a lot of water when he was a pup. Even now when he runs around and is active he'll stand at the water bowl for what seems like 5 minutes at a time. Jovi is a cutie! Please let us know what the vet says. :EBNwelcome:

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Thanks guys for all the responses! I have been having some trouble getting used to this site (neewbs) so I apologize. And yes I will be taking her to the vet but my main concern (obviously other than something being wrong) is since she is drinking so much she has to pee a lot. I mean like every 15 mins. And learning to potty train is way more difficult because of it.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Bulldog puppies were the hardest to potty train (from all the breeds i ever had -or my parents for this matter) ;-)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
When duchess was that age she drank like that and it caused her to have reoccurring UTI- come to find out it was the kibble she was on at the time that was causing her to drink so much. Ultimately I switched to raw and she went from 3-4 bowls a day to less than 1 and no more uti's

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How much sodium is in her dog food? Salt makes them thirsty :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xxaprilrose

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I feed her the Fromms Puppy Gold, mainly because that seemed to be the most suggested on here. When I got her they were feeding her Diamond. I am unsure of the sodium in the Fromms. And I didnt get a chance to bring her to the vet yesterday due to some unforeseen circumstances but I did however reschedule for this friday so I am still worried about it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.